Worst War Movies?

Discussions on WW2 and pre-WW2 related movies, games, military art and other fiction.
PF

Re: Worst War Movies?

Post by PF » 21 Oct 2014, 04:03

Strange wasn't it--The US had some of the best talent; film stock; actors, writers, directors ...{Including refugees} ...and yet they came out with a something no better than a stock hero/heroine against odds against them vs evil villians with long speechs movie such as http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saboteur_%28film%29 :P
Quite frankly I think "Saboteur" was just pathetic ---even a staple B Western movie had more of a plot! In fact it just about reminds me of a comic book...the Battleship launch was just the hull of the ship-would have only delayed it say about the time it took to seal up the hull pumped water out and air in...a few months...what was really out of date on "Saboteur" was the premise that BIG GUN Battleships was the mine line of defense...not withstanding planes could sink them-such as General Mitchell proved in the 1920's or the Japanese did such the US Battleship fleet at Pearl Harbor or over The HMS Prince of Wales and the Repulse...or the US Navy did to the Yamamoto..or the British to the Tripitz....likewise except for the Bismarck vs the Royal Navy..or US Battleships supporting the 1942 invasion of North Africa or the D DAy in France..the Atlantic was not a place for much Battleship action ...and the Pacific was a aircraft carrier War...with the Battleships supporting them...!

There was one movie where the hero singlhandly stops a Japanese spy ring from destroying the Panama canal..anyonw remember that movie? :P :lol:

Yet even in fact based movies such as http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_House_on_92nd_Street :D
It was still made for HOME FRONT

:thumbsup: :welcome:

PF

Post by PF » 23 Oct 2014, 21:14

PS_that one where the Japanese try to bomb the PAnama Canal--its Humprey Bogart "Across the pacific" :P

Just read a review of "WHite Ghost" sounds like a remake of "Rambo" and "Anpocalpyse Now" :lol:

Halle

Post by Halle » 24 Oct 2014, 09:22

While the subject is entirely down to personal taste , I'd like to add the recent production " Fury " to the list - so , so much wrong with it , and it dragged - I was glad to get out of the cinema :cry:

PF

Post by PF » 24 Oct 2014, 14:23

Let me guess "Fury" One tank crew & tank against the whole German ARmy..... :lol: :roll:

Halle

Post by Halle » 24 Oct 2014, 15:30

PF wrote:Let me guess "Fury" One tank crew & tank against the whole German ARmy..... :lol: :roll:

Not quite , but not far off ...... I think we could almost start a new thread " what's wrong with Fury " :lol:

PF

Post by PF » 30 Oct 2014, 23:51

Forgetable
First Yank into Tokyo
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First_Yank_into_Tokyo

Using a Chinese AMerican to play a Japanese....also played by Koreans, europeans..bu nary a Ethnic Japanese.... :lol: :P :roll: :lol: of course in MASH 4077 they had Chinese. Japanese, Philliponeans, Vietnamise,, play Koreans..only about two ethnic Koreans playing Koreans!

PF

Post by PF » 04 Nov 2014, 15:53

Postwar espionage movies were even worse than Saboteur-such as Hitchcock's "Torn Curtain" has the most dragged out killing of a enemy agent on the screen that ever existed....:razz:

wenty

Post by wenty » 06 Nov 2014, 10:46

I haven't seen "Fury" yet but from the sounds of it, they're going for the shock factor and just trying a bit too hard, perhaps to the detriment of facts and proper storyline.

Has anyone else the film about the Britannic sinking in World War I? That was so atrocious that it was almost - ALMOST - good.

Cheers,
Adam.

Leutnant Von Historian

Post by Leutnant Von Historian » 06 Nov 2014, 14:55

I think Pearl Harbor( the one with a significance romantic part ) is one of the worse.

PF

Post by PF » 06 Nov 2014, 15:09

No movie on the Britannic but there have been several National Geographic and related orgizations films on the sinking
As regards "Pearl Harbor" UUGH :x it almost made me sick to watch such junk :P especially what the facts are too well known
Ironic is that there was a US_Polish World War II ace {Granbinski} who was at Pearl Harbor and then went to England and fought with the RAF and USAAF aginst the Luftwaffe...not the other way around :thumbsup:

AS for the Sherman tank it was ment as a Infantry support -such as against Pillboxs and MAChine Gund nests..it WAS NOT MENT AS A TANK VS TANK....only the Tank Destroyer units were ment for THAT TYPE OF COMBAT--With Help from anti tank mines and Airplanes {The World War II Bazooka was underpowered against tanks such as the T-34 In Korea. The German Panzerhurst was much better}

PF

Post by PF » 10 Nov 2014, 15:28

Gamle Lode

Post by Gamle Lode » 22 Nov 2014, 21:41

Fury.

Yet, it had nice bits. Most of those belonged however to the German girl.

Johnny Jensen

Post by Johnny Jensen » 12 Dec 2014, 14:47

The Misfit Brigade from 1987, is the worst ww2 movie ever made!
Especially if you read the book Sven Hazel wrote.
General all ww2 movies where german soldiers speak english is not good.

Sorry for google translate, my english is bad.

B Hellqvist

Post by B Hellqvist » 13 Dec 2014, 23:23

Johnny Jensen wrote:The Misfit Brigade from 1987, is the worst ww2 movie ever made!
Especially if you read the book Sven Hazel wrote.
General all ww2 movies where german soldiers speak english is not good.

Sorry for google translate, my english is bad.
I prefer posts in the original Danish. ;)

phylo_roadking

Post by phylo_roadking » 17 Dec 2014, 23:43

PF wrote:No movie on the Britannic ....

Er....
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Britannic_(film)
Twenty years ago we had Johnny Cash, Bob Hope and Steve Jobs. Now we have no Cash, no Hope and no Jobs....
Lord, please keep Kevin Bacon alive...

Return to “Movies, games & other fiction”