Worst War Movies?

Discussions on WW2 and pre-WW2 related movies, games, military art and other fiction.

colt45

Re: Worst War Movies?

Post by colt45 » 02 Jun 2015, 01:49

American Sniper, to much advertising, the other side had a sniper, his men thought he was great

PF

Post by PF » 09 Jun 2015, 13:50

Two more for list of Home grown movie Slop for the masses:
"Man Hunt" 1941 gestapo chase man to London for taking a shot at AH
"Hangman must Die" 1943 film about aftermath of Killing of SS General Heydrich-the less said about the better!

PF

Post by PF » 03 Jul 2015, 19:56

Another movie for the massess.... :oops: :oops:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secret_Mission

PF

Post by PF » 13 Jul 2015, 14:40

PF

Post by PF » 10 Aug 2015, 18:21

PF

Post by PF » 11 Aug 2015, 23:18

More Home audiences :lol: movie...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nazi_Agent

Phaing

Post by Phaing » 12 Aug 2015, 07:23

B Hellqvist wrote:Stalingrad (2013). The third best Stalingrad movie since 1993! OK, there's only been three...

Absolutely dreadful. Poor script, unengaging characters, slow motion in every effing battle scene (Peckinpah, come back!), forgettable score... Considering the budget and effort, very poor bang for the buck (or ruble). The few bright points were the sets and uniforms. 3/10.
WHen you see Red Army soldiers catch fire and still continue to charge the Germans instead of... oh, I don't know, drop and roll maybe.... yo have to know what you are in for.
AJFFM wrote:In terms of plot, Saving Private Ryan. Great realism (probably the most realist of all WWII films) but American superheroes ride again!

Well, we certainly can't have a movie that makes American's look good, can we? Might be accused of being racists or something. :roll:

You know, looking at this list, I have to wonder, has a GOOD war movie ever been made? By anyone?
Ever?
Besides A Bridge to Far, I mean.

My vote for the worst; Inglorious Basterds. They should have known better.

Phaing

Post by Phaing » 12 Aug 2015, 07:24

Phaing wrote:
B Hellqvist wrote:Stalingrad (2013). The third best Stalingrad movie since 1993! OK, there's only been three...

Absolutely dreadful. Poor script, unengaging characters, slow motion in every effing battle scene (Peckinpah, come back!), forgettable score... Considering the budget and effort, very poor bang for the buck (or ruble). The few bright points were the sets and uniforms. 3/10.
WHen you see Red Army soldiers catch fire and still continue to charge the Germans instead of... oh, I don't know, drop and roll maybe.... yo have to know what you are in for.
AJFFM wrote:In terms of plot, Saving Private Ryan. Great realism (probably the most realist of all WWII films) but American superheroes ride again!

Well, we certainly can't have a movie that makes American's look good, can we? Might be accused of being racists or something. :roll:

You know, looking at this thread, I have to wonder, has a GOOD war movie ever been made? By anyone?
Ever?

PF

Post by PF » 12 Aug 2015, 13:31

A good War Movie and a terrible movie....

Thirty Seconds over Tokyo {good}

The Purple heart Corner {Ghastly dumb}

YankeeZulu

Post by YankeeZulu » 12 Aug 2015, 16:09

I'd say anyone in this forum who's actually done time in the army of any nation can call BS on pretty much every war movie ever made.
<1>

PF

Post by PF » 12 Aug 2015, 17:20

AJFFM

Post by AJFFM » 14 Aug 2015, 09:20

Phaing wrote:

You know, looking at this list, I have to wonder, has a GOOD war movie ever been made? By anyone?
Ever?

Don't take it personally dude, all what I demanded is realism and American war films are notorious for have a lone gunman (Rambo) or a cut off rifle squad mowing down crack* X enemy divisions as if they were on a Turkey shoot as the American saying goes.

Be real, use real life stories (like the Merrill's Marauders) that show real battle herorics instead of a DoD financed snuff film for propaganda purposes based on pure fantasy and full errors both factual and historical.

As for good Films, The Big Red One is often overlooked and has the advantage of having a real life WWII pfc as its lead albeit as an Army NCO instead of a Marine (which is what probably killed Lee Marvin). I think I mentioned Cross of Iron which is probably the model for SPR although the Germans here are far less superheroes than the Americans.

*Never understood where this term "Crack German Divisions" came from.

Phaing

Post by Phaing » 14 Aug 2015, 09:53

AJFFM wrote: As for good Films, The Big Red One is often overlooked and has the advantage of having a real life WWII pfc as its lead albeit as an Army NCO instead of a Marine (which is what probably killed Lee Marvin). I think I mentioned Cross of Iron which is probably the model for SPR although the Germans here are far less superheroes than the Americans.
Maybe because they can't make a movie in Germany about a battle that they actually won, even today.

The Big Red One was awful, and inaccurate, and ridiculous. Even technically... Bangalore torpedoes do NOT work like that! :lol:

And the final Rambo movie wasn't bad, it was rather good overall.
Just as long as they never make another one....

AJFFM

Post by AJFFM » 14 Aug 2015, 10:03

Never said the Big Red One was "The Godfather" of war films but it was realistic in portraying warfare and its effects on soldiers. Not to mention the advantage of having an actual former soldier leading.

For German films, the association with Nazism is alone a deterrence for any any film about WWII that is why you will probably never see a film about Eben Emael or the crossing of the Meuse at Sedan.

Return to “Movies, games & other fiction”