Guilty pleasures - some war films are just so bad....

Discussions on WW2 and pre-WW2 related movies, games, military art and other fiction.
phylo_roadking

Guilty pleasures - some war films are just so bad....

Post by phylo_roadking » 25 Dec 2010, 23:50

....but they find their way to the top of pur personal lists of favourites! :lol: So what particular obscure, unknown or just plain bad war film - not any of the accepted classics - do you like?

Mine is "Anzio" - with Robert Mitchum and Peter Falk! Now almost ignored, and simply brim-full of errors....it was the first war film I remember seeing - and the views of the Forum, the Colosseum, the Castel Sant'Angelo and Ponte Sant'Angelo stayed with me for years until I got there myself a few years back.
Twenty years ago we had Johnny Cash, Bob Hope and Steve Jobs. Now we have no Cash, no Hope and no Jobs....
Lord, please keep Kevin Bacon alive...

ChristopherPerrien

Re: Guilty pleasures - some war films are just so bad....

Post by ChristopherPerrien » 26 Dec 2010, 09:38

Bataan, =cheesy recruiting/propaganda movie." All creeds go fight for your country"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bataan_(film)

von thoma

Post by von thoma » 26 Dec 2010, 12:06

"From Hell to Victory" is a good picture for sleep........
10576.jpg
10576.jpg (51.56 KiB) Viewed 1723 times

Photo:httpwww.emuleteca.comforumviewtopic.phpf=203&t=1452&view=previous
" The right to believe is the right of those who don't know "

Sewer King

Post by Sewer King » 27 Dec 2010, 08:11

The late J. Lee Thompson's The Passage (1979)

I saw this in 1982 in the early days of American cable TV, when films made their cable debut only 1 to 3 years after their theater releases, and before videotape release was more common, Occasionally it was shown on syndicated TV during the 1980s. Somewhere I have a VHS copy of this film's edited re-run from there.

Does anyone else remember this movie? I would be mildly surprised if Phylo does not.

This was a WW2 thriller about a scientist (James Mason) and his family who must escape from France to Spain. The Resistance hires a Basque shepherd (Anthony Quinn) to lead them in a dangerous overland route passage across the Pyrenees. They are pursued by a murderous SS captain (Malcolm McDowell) and aided by a Gypsy patriarch (Christopher Lee).
  • The screenplay was by Bruce Nicolaysen, based on his novel Perilous Passage. About 20 years ago I came across this book in a charity shop. I remember thinking there was a big difference between book and film as is usually the case, but had not understood it when the author for both are the same.

Director Thompson might be best known for The Guns of Navarone (1960), which had also starred Anthony Quinn. In Thompson's The Passage Quinn comes out rather like Zorba the Basque. Coincidentally, Quinn's co-stars from Navarone, Gregory Peck and David Niven, were reunited at the same time in another commando thriller, The Sea Wolves (1980).
According to some of the imdb.com commentary linked above, James Mason tagged The Passage a box office flop during its production. In production values it seems to have been made like something like the "spaghetti Westerns" or "spaghetti war films" from the 1960s. Various of these B-films make for campy humor today, in or out of their genres, and especially if they have star casts as does this one.

There are actually two redeeming afterthoughts for it:
  • Fans of Malcolm McDowell would probably like The Passage for him alone. McDowell might be best remembered for his series of cruel screen roles since Lindsay Anderson's If ... (1968) and Kubrick's A Clockwork Orange (1971). He supposedly said that he did at least like his role in The Passage as a distillation of Nazi character extremes -- sadism, inferiority complex hiding behind police power, the smiling torturer, rape, and casual murder. In production Mason supposedly asked McDowell if he was acting in the same film as he at all, probably in the same spirit as realizing the film was a stinker. If true, I would have liked to know what answer he got.

The soundtrack by Michael J. Lewis is very good -- a sweeping, dramatic score that conjures grand scenes of the Pyrenees. It could be counted as one of those films where the musical score outdoes the film.
-- Alan

phylo_roadking

Post by phylo_roadking » 27 Dec 2010, 17:08

Hi Alan - heard of it but never seen it.

(Ah, If..., one of my all-time favourites. I saw it once on the BBC as a young lad, then it wasn't shown again for many years. As someone who absolutely loathed school, that last four minutes or so stayed with me :lol: ....)
Twenty years ago we had Johnny Cash, Bob Hope and Steve Jobs. Now we have no Cash, no Hope and no Jobs....

IvanSR

Post by IvanSR » 28 Dec 2010, 14:06

Sahara with James Belushi.

hagen

Post by hagen » 28 Dec 2010, 21:51

I have a soft spot for Twelve O'Clock High as it was used on my officer training course but then it is actually quite a good film.

As we know film makers are not very interested in historical accuracy but then how much should they be? Finance and entertainment are their concerns. What concerns me more is when films inject into the wider culture concepts at variance with true historical facts. I struggle to get my family to understand that Vikings did NOT wear horned helmets, which is only a theatrical invention but it is a difficult to defeat the floodtide of ignorance.

Then there is that ralling cry for the Scottish National Party, the film Braveheart, which might have had something to do with someone called William Wallace; great film but not much related to the real life of the man. :milwink:

von thoma

Post by von thoma » 06 Jan 2011, 22:29

"Quel maledetto treno blindato" in English "Inglourious Basterds".Like the Tarantino's film,the two are so bad
inglorious_bastards.jpg
inglorious_bastards.jpg (36.57 KiB) Viewed 1541 times
Photo:http://entrelucesycamaras.blogspot.com/ ... parte.html
" The right to believe is the right of those who don't know "

Adam Carr

Post by Adam Carr » 06 Jan 2011, 22:34

I watched the first 20 minutes of Inglorious Bastards, then decided it was the most gratuitous, insulting rubbish I'd ever seen and turned it off.

valkyrie

Post by valkyrie » 16 Jan 2011, 03:07

Me too. I got to the scene where they kill the captured German with a baseball bat, realized I was now rooting for the Nazis and got the hell outta there! I guess Tarantino's films are bit like modern art installations. Some say they are art but all I see is an expensive scam. At least I lasted longer than Kill Bill 1.

Colin

Mark in Cleveland, Tn.

Post by Mark in Cleveland, Tn. » 16 Jan 2011, 05:11

I watch all the WW2 era movies on TCM...some of them are really FAR OUT in todays view.

Adam Carr

Post by Adam Carr » 16 Jan 2011, 08:35

Yes I also turned off at the baseball bat, but the opening scene is nonsense, too. SS officers did not spend their time scouring the French countryside looking for Jews. The French police did it for them, usually without being asked.

phylo_roadking

Post by phylo_roadking » 16 Jan 2011, 17:55

I've now watched it the grand total of two times; there are only TWO good things about it...

1/ I was VERY suprised when I heard the theme tune from Dark Of the Sun , one of my all-time favourite films;

2/ I was doubly suprised when I realised ROD TAYLOR, the star of the above, was "playing" Churchill! To quote Escape from New York - "I thought you were dead!"

Last edited by phylo_roadking on 17 Jan 2011, 01:46, edited 1 time in total.

Adam Carr

Post by Adam Carr » 16 Jan 2011, 23:00

I enjoyed Ian McNeice as Churchill in a recent episode of Dr Who. He's a bit too fat, but he did the voice and mannerisms very well. I wasn't at all surprised to learn that Churchill knew the Doctor, it explains quite a lot.

Luftflotte2

Post by Luftflotte2 » 30 Jan 2011, 18:18

:D I love that episode of Doctor Who!

Return to “Movies, games & other fiction”