Fury: New WW2 film about U.S. tank crew coming in 2014

Discussions on WW2 and pre-WW2 related movies, games, military art and other fiction.
OpanaPointer
Financial supporter

Re: Fury: New WW2 film about U.S. tank crew coming in 2014

Post by OpanaPointer » 04 Mar 2016, 20:24

Fliegende Untertasse wrote:Anybody else catch themselves humming "Enter enter mission" after the Tiger scene ?

Moe anime homage in Hollywood tough guy war movie is not something you see everyday.
I liked the part where Lucius Malfoy said "I know who you are, I know what you can do." :lol:
Come visit our sites:
hyperwarHyperwar
World War II Resources

Bellum se ipsum alet, mostly Doritos.

ChristopherPerrien

Post by ChristopherPerrien » 19 May 2016, 04:42

The shooting of the surrendered soldier early in the movie was just disgusting. I would say that I would be amazed that , such things happened in reality, then I think about it and realized even the real-life incidences that occurred in WWII were the result of "draftee" soldiers. I fprofessional soldiers were to resort to such actions, they are/were not professional soldiers. The movie takes some weird liberties with reality , such is the result of the MSM making a film on WWII and about how real soldiers think neither of which the MSM that makes movies has a clue about and they are far more interested in presenting distorted views anyway for their own reasons.

BillHermann

Post by BillHermann » 19 May 2016, 16:51

It's completly plausible that professional soldiers can do this and have done this. Battlefeild executions both of the surrendered and civilians happen. During combat and after. It can be due to fatigue, anger, professional soldiers can also be psychopaths and some simply enjoy it. War can attract people who enjoy the rush, living on the edge and the lawlessness that comes with it. Brains and the killing actions don't just stop when combat is over. Just because all soldiers are trained does not mean that they won't break the rules or ignore them. We are very much victims of the romanticism of war and that professionals would not do this but conscripts could.

stg 44

Post by stg 44 » 19 May 2016, 17:08

ChristopherPerrien wrote:The shooting of the surrendered soldier early in the movie was just disgusting. I would say that I would be amazed that , such things happened in reality, then I think about it and realized even the real-life incidences that occurred in WWII were the result of "draftee" soldiers. I fprofessional soldiers were to resort to such actions, they are/were not professional soldiers. The movie takes some weird liberties with reality , such is the result of the MSM making a film on WWII and about how real soldiers think neither of which the MSM that makes movies has a clue about and they are far more interested in presenting distorted views anyway for their own reasons.
What? Patton talked about massacres they were trying to cover up after the Bulge in his diary. Executions of German and Italian soldiers happened quite a bit in WW2, we have a whole subforum dedicated to warcrimes on this forum that have ample stories.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Allied_wa ... ted_States

James A Pratt III

Post by James A Pratt III » 02 Sep 2016, 20:44

A World war I soldier said its sometimes hard to turn off hate.

In this movie the German POW shot and killed was wearing a US army coat. Not a good idea to be taken prisoner wearing or having on you your captors uniforms and equipment. I have read some accounts of US troops killing German POWs caught wearing US army boots. I believe there is a picture showing German soldiers pulling them off dead GIs. In One US unit surrounded by the Germans during the Battle of the Bulge a soldier noticed some other soldiers having problems with their pants falling down. the reason; the soldiers were wearing German army belts and got rid of them in case they got captured. I believe I have read where another US unit in a similar situation had the soldiers get rid of their soveniers.
I have also read that driving a M-4 Sherman tank was a physically tough job. So I think the driver would have been a little thinner.

James A Pratt III

Post by James A Pratt III » 02 Sep 2016, 20:55

There is a Congressional Medal of Honor winner who killed a estimated 250 of the enemy. SFC Ernst E Kouma in a M-26 tank 72nd tank battalion during the Korean war 31 Aug-1 Sep 1950.

OpanaPointer
Financial supporter

Post by OpanaPointer » 05 Sep 2016, 13:03

James A Pratt III wrote:
I have also read that driving a M-4 Sherman tank was a physically tough job. So I think the driver would have been a little thinner.
Pena isn't a hulking giant by any means. He can fly a MAV very well, however. :lol:
Come visit our sites:
hyperwarHyperwar
World War II Resources

Cult Icon

Post by Cult Icon » 05 Sep 2016, 14:05

what I don't like about the movie is how the US soldiers are depicted as thugs and gang members.

OpanaPointer
Financial supporter

Post by OpanaPointer » 05 Sep 2016, 14:20

Cult Icon wrote:what I don't like about the movie is how the US soldiers are depicted as thugs and gang members.
You mean the guys hanging women from poles, and forcing children to fight trained soldiers?
Come visit our sites:
hyperwarHyperwar
World War II Resources

Cult Icon

Post by Cult Icon » 05 Sep 2016, 14:26

I don't think that this movie focused on that.

The tank crew was very annoying to watch- and we had to watch these morons for two hours.

OpanaPointer
Financial supporter

Post by OpanaPointer » 05 Sep 2016, 14:36

Cult Icon wrote:I don't think that this movie focused on that.

The tank crew was very annoying to watch- and we had to watch these morons for two hours.
They were a family, uncouth killers with all too human characteristics.
Come visit our sites:
hyperwarHyperwar
World War II Resources

BillHermann

Post by BillHermann » 11 Sep 2016, 21:36

even though the tank crew were obvious stereotypes to all the armchair directors and wannabe history experts that hated the movie how would you have done this differently?

stg 44

Post by stg 44 » 11 Sep 2016, 22:37

BillHermann wrote:even though the tank crew were obvious stereotypes to all the armchair directors and wannabe history experts that hated the movie how would you have done this differently?
Avoid the obvious cliches for instance at the beginning where Pitt rants about Pena speaking in Spanish ("this is an American tank"!), never mind that they've been fighting together since 1942, as they say in the film that they've been together since North Africa. No need for the Pitt shirtless scene, the scene with the girl that was thrown in for some reason, nor the Pitt forcing the new guy to shoot a German PoW in the back. Plus there was plenty of silliness with the Germans missing all the PAK shots on tanks nearly point blank. Even the end was cheesy with the outnumbered Americans fighting of hordes of SS men a week before the war is over, I mean really? At that point of the war a US tank was not operating unsupported like that, even given the situation depicted in the film. Even the incident the final scene is based on happened much differently earlier in the war.

ChristopherPerrien

Post by ChristopherPerrien » 11 Sep 2016, 23:23

We can dismiss Quentin Tarantino knowing a GD thing about war, WWII, military service , etc. Then if you wish discuss his film in a proper context then I "guess" it would be possible. But it ain't possible, I could only stomach 5 minutes, so anyone else wishing to venture that far off can do so without me. The film was too idiotic for me to view. I ask not to address my view , because of the outcome. Please continue the debate, I am abandoning this topic as well, would have done so earlier , but the film was such unreal bullchit , I won't waste my time going further. I only post today becuase I forgot to before. Tarantino can go to hell and has already bought his ticket, AFAIAC.

Regards;
Chris

stg 44

Post by stg 44 » 13 Sep 2016, 03:38

ChristopherPerrien wrote:We can dismiss Quentin Tarantino knowing a GD thing about war, WWII, military service , etc. Then if you wish discuss his film in a proper context then I "guess" it would be possible. But it ain't possible, I could only stomach 5 minutes, so anyone else wishing to venture that far off can do so without me. The film was too idiotic for me to view. I ask not to address my view , because of the outcome. Please continue the debate, I am abandoning this topic as well, would have done so earlier , but the film was such unreal bullchit , I won't waste my time going further. I only post today becuase I forgot to before. Tarantino can go to hell and has already bought his ticket, AFAIAC.

Regards;
Chris
Wrong movie, David Ayer made "Fury"

Return to “Movies, games & other fiction”