Fury: New WW2 film about U.S. tank crew coming in 2014

Discussions on WW2 and pre-WW2 related movies, games, military art and other fiction.
Cult Icon

Re: Fury: New WW2 film about U.S. tank crew coming in 2014

Post by Cult Icon » 13 Sep 2016, 03:55

I believe he also directed "training day", which is a about a road trip with a corrupt cop- there are directorial similarities between fury and the former. I found his directorial style more appropriate in Training day.

stg 44

Post by stg 44 » 13 Sep 2016, 04:30

Cult Icon wrote:I believe he also directed "training day", which is a about a road trip with a corrupt cop- there are directorial similarities between fury and the former. I found his directorial style more appropriate in Training day.
He also wrote Fury, which I guess was his big passion project, because he grew up on stories about WW2 from his relatives and he wanted to tell the 'gritty and real' story. Of course his entire ouvre is about 'gritty realism', which generally ends up being more dramatized violence with a lot of modern slang:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Ayer

Cult Icon

Post by Cult Icon » 13 Sep 2016, 04:53

stg 44 wrote: He also wrote Fury, which I guess was his big passion project, because he grew up on stories about WW2 from his relatives and he wanted to tell the 'gritty and real' story. Of course his entire ouvre is about 'gritty realism', which generally ends up being more dramatized violence with a lot of modern slang:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Ayer
Training day is a very good movie.

I felt that he was clearly not knowledgeable enough about WW2 to made a good environment. He should have hired the same adviser that helped in SPR, BOB, and the Pacific.

stg 44

Post by stg 44 » 13 Sep 2016, 15:22

Cult Icon wrote: Training day is a very good movie.

I felt that he was clearly not knowledgeable enough about WW2 to made a good environment. He should have hired the same adviser that helped in SPR, BOB, and the Pacific.
Like I said he was a WW2 enthusiast with a Hollywood budget and movie making experience, so he wrote the script and made the film he always wanted from the ground up. Whether or not it was an accurate portrayal or a good movie is another thing entirely.

OpanaPointer
Financial supporter

Post by OpanaPointer » 13 Sep 2016, 15:59

Cult Icon wrote:

Capt. Dale Dye.
Come visit our sites:
hyperwarHyperwar
World War II Resources

Bellum se ipsum alet, mostly Doritos.

luftschiff

Post by luftschiff » 14 Sep 2016, 03:44

The guy who did Fury also wrote U-571. Realism and historical accuracy aren't really his thing.

ChristopherPerrien

Post by ChristopherPerrien » 14 Sep 2016, 17:38

LOL , OKay , yea, Excuse me got on an "Inglorious Bastard tiff".

Anyway , Fury and his director can go the same place. Suprised the dude was a bubble head (a USN vet), but then again not too surprised there either.

stg 44

Post by stg 44 » 14 Sep 2016, 18:22

luftschiff wrote:The guy who did Fury also wrote U-571. Realism and historical accuracy aren't really his thing.
Its funny that the writer of U-571 was a submariner in the USN in real life.

Takao

Post by Takao » 17 Sep 2016, 04:02

Not "the" writer...He was one of three. And it was the screenplay - fitting the entire story so that it takes up about 2 hours.

Jonathan Mostow was the originator of U-571, and was also one of the screenplay writers, but he has not ties to submarines.

Guaporense
Banned

Post by Guaporense » 19 Sep 2016, 02:15

This is a more realistic portrayal of tank warfare than Fury:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wjugcZIYRzw
"In tactics, as in strategy, superiority in numbers is the most common element of victory." - Carl von Clausewitz

Stiltzkin

Post by Stiltzkin » 19 Sep 2016, 02:30

BillHermann

Post by BillHermann » 19 Sep 2016, 07:11

I have to bite, I find the last two posts juvinelle and uncalled for. The first video being a of a tacky disturbing nature to some how digrade a Fury by saying that a perverted concept with teen girls driving tanks for the titlation of male fans is somehow better than a dramatized feature film. Or the posting of the second video pretty much for shock value that gives little to the debate and question.

It is unfortunate that some feel the need to be entertained in this way, not going to really have a thoughtful discussion on Fury but would rather spam videos that have little to no value. But then hey this is the Internet.

Simply put I think some of your expectations are way too high. It is a holywood movie not a documentary and filmmakers always take liberty. They do this to entertain. Even some of the top war films that some of you praise like Cross of Iron do this. If they did not it would not entertain. There would be little way to have molded Fury into a much better film to satisfy the armchair history buffs and wannabe directors.

There are some things in the Fury film that made me cringe from the fact that it should have been spring time and that some of the acting was over done but I was entertained. It did the job and in many ways it was better than other war films. The cinematography and visual were above average and to the regular film viewer it did its job telling a believable tank crew story at the end of the war.

I believe the problem is with the high expectations of amateur history buffs and our nitpick culture. That we are not satisfied if what we think we know about history is not delivered to us.

Stiltzkin

Post by Stiltzkin » 19 Sep 2016, 17:38

Or the posting of the second video pretty much for shock value that gives little to the debate and question.
Just like the Fury, Tiger scene in which one of the tankers loses his head (and it was sticking out of the hatch), for the mere splatter effect? I think you wanted to say "juvenile".

offizier1916

Post by offizier1916 » 07 Jan 2017, 22:53

watched the film and it was one of the worst war films i watched so far. i dont like how pitt played, but he played way better than he did in "inglorious basterds".
but again, just my opinion. before i watched the film i read some reviews on rotten tomatoes and there it got pretty good critics. but i just dont like this "overacting" and this predictable story line. it appeared to me that the director tried to portray the allies and germans as "complicated" and he tried to portray the americans as "evil" as well, tried to show how war changes the soldiers.... but it appeared to me that he never could put aside this "american hollywood" aura. Look how this liitle group of americans can easily destroy like 500 waffen ss "idiots", they dont hit at all. look at the sherman vs tiger scene
Oh and yea, the waffen ss soldiers sang end of april 45 in the battle zone loudly....omg

all in all: below average film. Movies as "Stalingrad" or "unsere väter unsere mütter" are imo 10x better while having 10x lesser budget.

redcoat

Post by redcoat » 08 Jan 2017, 00:06

The tank "Fury" was a 76mm armed Sherman, it didn't need to hit the Tiger I in the rear to penetrate its armour, at the range they fought at it was quite capable of penetrating its frontal armour

Return to “Movies, games & other fiction”