Luftwaffe version of Das Boot?

Discussions on WW2 and pre-WW2 related movies, games, military art and other fiction.
SiegsEuphorie

Luftwaffe version of Das Boot?

Post by SiegsEuphorie » 20 Jan 2014, 01:31

I just got around to watching Das Boot this weekend and absolutely loved it! But I hated the ending. Is there a movie out there about the Luftwaffe that can hold any water to Das Boot? The best film I can think of with the Luftwaffe in it is probably the battle of britain. I think I'm running out of films to watch and need some new suggestions. Danke!!!!!!

B Hellqvist

Re: Luftwaffe version of Das Boot?

Post by B Hellqvist » 22 Jan 2014, 18:32

The list of war movies with Germans and happy endings made after 1945 is extremely short... The same goes for movies with Luftwaffe themes. A certain shortage of original planes would've made them hard to make, even if there had been an interest. The only one I can think of is "The Star of Africa" (about Hans-Joachim Marseille).

SiegsEuphorie

Post by SiegsEuphorie » 06 Feb 2014, 03:02

B Hellqvist wrote:The list of war movies with Germans and happy endings made after 1945 is extremely short... The same goes for movies with Luftwaffe themes. A certain shortage of original planes would've made them hard to make, even if there had been an interest. The only one I can think of is "The Star of Africa" (about Hans-Joachim Marseille).
Awesome! thanks! Never heard of that but it sounds good! I don't know much about him so it'll be a good watch. Gonna check it out later :D

B Hellqvist

Post by B Hellqvist » 07 Feb 2014, 12:02

It's an old movie, with FX that are seriously dated. You can view it on YouTube (I don't know about subtitled versions, but search for "Stern von Afrika").

RichUrich

Post by RichUrich » 06 Dec 2015, 01:00

Well there is always the WWII German movies (made during WWII) available on DVD:
STUKA and its sequel (Donier or Dora?) both have English subtitles and are really excellent quality.

stg 44

Post by stg 44 » 06 Dec 2015, 21:41

SiegsEuphorie wrote:I just got around to watching Das Boot this weekend and absolutely loved it! But I hated the ending. Is there a movie out there about the Luftwaffe that can hold any water to Das Boot? The best film I can think of with the Luftwaffe in it is probably the battle of britain. I think I'm running out of films to watch and need some new suggestions. Danke!!!!!!
Its funny the author of the book it was based on hated it for being too dramatized, unrealistic, and the characters caricatures.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Das_Boot# ... t_Buchheim

Return to “Movies, games & other fiction”