Best Stalingrad Movie - German Version

Discussions on WW2 and pre-WW2 related movies, games, military art and other fiction.
brustcan

Re: Best Stalingrad Movie - German Version

Post by brustcan » 02 Jan 2011, 10:49

During the late 1950"s there were a number of very good German war films made in black and white. Compare them to the "re-makes" made later. Sharks and Little Fish 1957 German navy u-boat, very realistic, the basis for "DAS BOOT"
Stalingrad(Dogs do you want to live forever?) This film is still far superior to the re-make: Stalingrad. More factual story and better acted. These films are on DVD available from International Historic Films in Chicago USA By the way, for German
TV they re-made the Film "THE BRIDGE" and the reviews were very bad.

division azul

Post by division azul » 02 Jan 2011, 13:54

i saw the stalingrad movie years ago on vhs,now a year or so back on dvd,in german,but to be honest i had to watch it a second time,the film was kinda chaotic,after the 2nd time watching i still could not remember all the characters :-),but it was a decent movie,but not the best war movie imho
united we stand,divided we fall

Progmetty

Post by Progmetty » 10 Jan 2011, 00:20

I've had the movie for a few years but haven't watched it cause I heard it was highly inaccurate historically so I lost interest.

JTV

Re:

Post by JTV » 10 Jan 2011, 11:37

Arkady wrote:Yep, this Stalingrad movie is very realistic. Most of the movie was created in location here in Czech republic in ex-soviet military training zones.
Some parts of this movie were also filmed near town of Nurmes in eastern Finland - presumably because the film-makers needed lot of snow for some of the scenes (apparently at least the rather famous tank-fighting scene was filmed there). Since eastern Finland lacks wide open terrain resembling steppe, frozen Lake Pielinen was used as a background during filming. After the filming was over the film-makers tried to sell locally as many of the tanks used in the movie as possible, presumably because of huge shipping costs. Closest weapons historical society based to city of Joensuu bought one of the fully operation T-34/85 tanks from them, here is first page of a two page article about the particular tank:
http://guns.connect.fi/gow/T34tank1.html

Jarkko

Return to “Movies, games & other fiction”