A Korean POW in Normandy, a hero in a new movie

Discussions on WW2 and pre-WW2 related movies, games, military art and other fiction.
mars

Post by mars » 01 Mar 2006, 04:30

Kim Sung wrote:
mars wrote:Genghis, I do not agree, only those fought for his homeland and his people could be called hero
I think the Korean in German uniform is just a victim, not a hero. Those who fought for his homeland and his people in a righteous war are heroes. Those who fought for his homeland and his people in an unjustifiable war are also victims.
That I agree, I agree Mr Yang was a victim, I do not agree he was a hero

Genghis

Post by Genghis » 01 Mar 2006, 06:55

Hello Mr. Kim Sung, I finally borrowed the video of the documentary regarding the Korean Soldier captured at Utah Beach, Normandy.
I am confused because in the documentary, they said that they could not find his name and they could not get any information on where he came from in Korea and what happened to him after his capture. But you said that his name is Mr. Yang and born in NW Korea in 1920. Also you said that his son and daughter lie in the US.
Why did the documentary not find this information?
And how did you find this information?
Thank you

Kim Sung

Post by Kim Sung » 01 Mar 2006, 09:53

mars wrote:I realy miss the "hero" part, for me, Kim Gu and Yun Pong-Gil were more qualified this title.
I personally know Yoon, Bong-Gil's nephew. He's now the head of a famous Korean civic organization.

Paul kyre

Post by Paul kyre » 29 May 2006, 09:47

These POWS, i think they are being pressed for service.
by the way, how could these germans used asians? i think after using them they would exterminate them. for they are not aryans.

Genghis

Post by Genghis » 31 May 2006, 21:29

Paul kyre wrote:These POWS, i think they are being pressed for service.
by the way, how could these germans used asians? i think after using them they would exterminate them. for they are not aryans.
They probably would start with you.

Von Lerner
Location: Freie Stadt Danzig. Studying in Amherst, Massachusetts

Post by Von Lerner » 01 Jun 2006, 12:13

mars wrote:
Genghis wrote:
mars wrote:Kim, I am sorry, but let me make it straight, when your cuntry was occupied by Japanese, Mr Yang was conscripted into Japanese army, the same army was brutalizing your homeland, then he fought for Japanese, got caputured by Soviet, then he decided to join soviet army and fight for communist ? after captured by nazi, he allowed himself, again !, to be enlisted into German army and fought for Nazi ? It looks like American did not have interest to enlist him, otherwise he would be sure no problem for fighting for American, what a lost...

Kim, I understand Mr Yang may well be forced to fight for Japanese, Russian and German, he may have no love feeling to all of them, but I realy miss the "hero" part, for me, Kim Gu and Yun Pong-Gil were more qualified this title.
Hi Mars, he is a hero because he like all veterans of all countries who fought are heros.
Genghis, I do not agree, only those fought for his homeland and his people could be called hero
Is this because your Chinese and Kim is Korean?

Irrational National

Post by Irrational National » 02 Jun 2006, 06:02

I don't find this Korean man a hero. If he was a hero they would've found what was left of his remains on a Korean/Japanese battlefield. He did alot of turn coating to save his own skin. Thats how I see it anyway. Great information for those of us who knew nothing of the conscripts as a whole. But I don't think one should be celebrated for the most treasonous acts in a single war. :|

Feldmann

Post by Feldmann » 03 Jun 2006, 22:58

Does anyone know when the movie will be released or how much progress they've made?

Kim Sung

Post by Kim Sung » 04 Jun 2006, 18:22

Feldmann wrote:Does anyone know when the movie will be released or how much progress they've made?
I'll contact the film making company and let you know. Please wait~

Kim Sung

Post by Kim Sung » 06 Nov 2006, 07:56

Kim Sung wrote:
Feldmann wrote:Does anyone know when the movie will be released or how much progress they've made?
I'll contact the film making company and let you know. Please wait~
The plan to make a movie is being delayed due to budget problem because it has to cover three colossal battles of WWII; the Battle of Nomonhan, the Soviet Winter Offensive in 1941 and Operation Overlord.

The movie is being made by CJ Entertainment (CJ 엔터테인먼트)

Kim Sung

Post by Kim Sung » 31 Mar 2007, 18:41

The Korean POW in Normandy bacame the hero of a new novel by Cho Jung-Rae (조정래). He published a new novel named 'Oh, God!' (오, 하느님) this month. The name of the Korean POW in this novel is Shin Kil-Man (신길만).

News Coverage I

News Coverage II

Kim Sung

Re: A Korean POW in Normandy, a hero in a new movie

Post by Kim Sung » 29 May 2008, 14:57

A big news from Korea.

Last week, multiple Korean news media sources reported that Kang Je-Kyu (강제규), the Korean film director famous for having made the mega-hit Korean War movie 'Taegukgi' (태극기 휘날리며) already started making scenario of the movie, which had been delayed for two years. According to news reports, the original story of a Korean POW in Normandy is extended into a story of friendship between two men: Korean and Japanese POWs captured in Normandy in the summer of 1944. The Korean hero of this movie is Jang Dong-Gun (장동건) who also starred in the movie 'Taegukgi' and the Japanese hero of this movie is Kimura Takuya (木村拓哉), the most popular Japanese entertainer ever and the leading member of a Japanese idol group SMAP. They will go over to Normandy on location in the autumn this year.

News Coverage

News Report

In 2010 or 2011, we'll see another mega-hit movie that will remain in the annals of war movies, because the most famous Asian actors appear in a movie directed by one of the most talented Asian movie director. If I remember correctly, this is the first Asian movie that deal with the European theater of WWII. Let's wait!

söldner

Post by söldner » 05 Dec 2009, 07:16

speakinf of movies, check this u tube of and inspection of asian SS voulinteers.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=awRXMDYJXhA

enjoy

SonderDivision R

Post by SonderDivision R » 13 Dec 2009, 10:46

Guatemalan, Javanese, Korean, Thai, Africans, The Germans used everyone, I heard they had a secret weapon of a wheelchair company armed with panzerfausts on both arm rests problem was the wheel chair would tip over after release of the war head. Who spoke with these people Korean, Thai, Javanese etc? I dont think one or two men from these nationalities had interpretors this is so embarrassing for the Germans just to throw anyone in a uniform. I can see why this Korean man everyone was talking about the guy was so ashmed he didnt even tell his two kids so how accurate is his story? I think its alot of fantasy to make this movie.

Bart V.

Re:

Post by Bart V. » 13 Dec 2009, 11:11

mars wrote: Genghis, I do not agree, only those fought for his homeland and his people could be called hero
Who are you to define who are hero's and are not? Hopefully you will never get involved in war, you'd probably be the first to desert.

Friendly regards

Return to “Movies, games & other fiction”