Bosnian soldiers in Turkey?

Discussions on all aspects of Austria-Hungary. Hosted by Glenn Jewison.
gyuresz

Bosnian soldiers in Turkey?

Post by gyuresz » 22 Oct 2012, 11:47

I have found some pictures showing Austrian troops in Turkey wearing tropical uniforms including the tropical helmet. I got the pictures from different sources, but they were possibly taken at the same time and at the same unidentified location. What is interesting for me is that some of the soldiers wear fez together with the standard Austrian uniform:
kuk_turkey_line.JPG
kuk_turkey_line.JPG (36.57 KiB) Viewed 2232 times
kuk_turkey_music.JPG
kuk_turkey_music.JPG (43.32 KiB) Viewed 2232 times
Austrian_post_Turkey.gif
Is it possible that these are Bosnian soldiers, transferred from one of the Bosnian infantry regiments? Or can it be that Muslim soldiers from other Austrian units were also allowed to wear the fez together with the standard uniform? I could not find any answer to these questions in the written sources. I would appreciate any input for solving this mistery.

Thank you,
György

a-h

Re: Bosnian soldiers in Turkey?

Post by a-h » 23 Oct 2012, 07:57

The disposition of bosnian-herzegowinian units during WW1:
- 15 Jun 1918 — VI/bhIR 1, VI/bhIR 2, VIII/bhIR3 — Orientkorps;
- 1 Jul 1918 — VI/bhIR 1, VI/bhIR 2, VIII/bhIR 3 — Orientkorps, Balkan Front;
- 15 Oct 1918 — VI/bhIR 1, VI/ bhIR 2, VIII/bhIR 3 — Orientkorps.

http://www.austrianphilately.com/dixnut/dn6g2.htm

Tosun Saral

Post by Tosun Saral » 18 Apr 2013, 20:45

Non Bosniak soldiers came to Turkey. They were send to Italian Front while the situation was getting worse.

gyuresz

Post by gyuresz » 18 Apr 2013, 23:05

In the meantime I have found some documentation about that there were at least a few Muslim Bosnian soldiers among the Austro-Hungarian artillerists in Palestine.

One of the eyewitnesses who was present when the Austrian artillerists marched into Jerusalem on 9 May 1916 notes that some of the soldiers were Bosnians, “among them also Mohammedans, who did not wear the usual military cap to their Austrian uniform, but a “tarbush”, a red fez.” (Gerda Sdun-Fallscheer: Jahre des Lebens, Stuttgart, 1985, p. 517)

One of the Austro-Hungarian artillerists buried on Mount Zion in Jerusalem was also Bosnian. His name is Michael Radulowic (or Radulovics) and he died on 27 April 1917. About him we read in the register of the Franciscan parish church in Jerusalem: “miles Bosniensis”, ‘Bosnian soldier’.

Tosun Saral

Post by Tosun Saral » 19 Oct 2013, 13:44

There might be some Bosniaks in Kuk formationen in der Türkei as interpreters or dolmecher.

Two brothers in different armies. Two Bosnians. On the left A Bosnian muslim NCO, driver of KuK Transportation Company in Istanbul. On the right a Bosnian Turkish Heavy Artillery NCO .
Source: ETF Savaş tarihimiz
Attachments
boşnak.jpg

Moca

Post by Moca » 02 Dec 2014, 02:26

There are a few photos in this forum that may help your research:

http://forum.klix.ba/bosanski-vojnici-u ... 58773.html

Return to “Austria-Hungary 1867–1918”