Sabre frogs mounted to saddles

Discussions on all aspects of Austria-Hungary. Hosted by Glenn Jewison.
Luki

Sabre frogs mounted to saddles

Post by Luki » 21 Jun 2012, 09:35

Did the K.u.K. cavalry use sabre frogs (Sabeltragevorrichtung) mounted to saddles? I never saw it on a photos but I found some copies on a market. I'm a little bit confused because this copies are adapted to be mount on left side of saddle. Usually there should be a bag for horse shoes and there is no space for sabres. In Polish cavalry regulations from 1919 which are adopted K.u.K. cavalry regulations there is no mention about sabre frogs also.

Her is photo of frog copy:

It is similar to Prussian sabre frog but there are some differences (different pocket and stitched stabilisation strip).

a-h

Re: Sabre frogs mounted to saddles

Post by a-h » 29 Jun 2012, 21:54

Did the K.u.K. cavalry use sabre frogs (Sabeltragevorrichtung) mounted to saddles?
No. Only on waist-belt.

Luki

Post by Luki » 03 Jul 2012, 09:42

Thanks for reply. Do you have any suspicions what could be origin of frog from photo? My suspicion is that it is Czecho-Slovakian. They used saddles similar to Prussian, so the frog could be also similar. Unfortunately I didn't find any photo that confirm my theory yet.

a-h

Post by a-h » 03 Jul 2012, 09:53

Maybe ... I specialize only in the Austro-Hungarian Empire.

Luki

Post by Luki » 01 Oct 2015, 15:15

Hello. I found sketches of A-H sabre frog. See pics below. It seems that it was used for M.99 artillery saddles. Does anyone have more information about this frog: dimensions, detailed drawings or photos?

Return to “Austria-Hungary 1867–1918”