Axis History Forum

This is an apolitical forum for discussions on the Axis nations and related topics hosted by Marcus Wendel's Axis History Factbook in cooperation with Michael Miller's Axis Biographical Research, Christoph Awender's WW2 day by dayand Christian Ankerstjerne’s Panzerworld.

Skip to content

If you found the forum useful please consider supporting us. You can also support us by buying books through the AHF Bookstore.

1914 Galacia

Discussions on all aspects of Austria-Hungary.
Hosted by Glenn Jewison.

1914 Galacia

Postby cj on 28 Jun 2006 23:53

Does anyone know anything about the Battles of Krasnik, Komarow and Limanova-Lapanov? I know they occured in 1914, Krasnik and Komarow were between the first and second encirclements of Przemysl, and Limanova-Lapanov was after the second encirclement but before the surrender. Thats all I really know about these important battles, so please help me out, I can't find anything.
cj
United States

Postby cstunts on 06 Sep 2006 03:14

Hello,

I do not claim to be an expert, but have done a little research along these lines in the pursuit of information on the great Austrian poet Georg Trakl (1887-1914), who was a participant in some of these actions as a member of the Austro-Hungarian forces. He was mobilized out of Salzburg or Innsbruck, in mid-August, assigned to "Feldspital 7/14" [part of Gen Rudolf von Brudermann's Third Army; Brudermann replaced around 9/5 or 9/11 by the Croat general Boroevic] by early September, and between the 8th & 11th of that month near Grodek ...Trakl's movements were Grodek>Przemysl>Limanowa>Mosciska(?)>Wadowice>Cracau (where he perished)
Some good accounts are in Holger H. Herwig's FIRST WORLD WAR (1997), Norman Stone's THE EASTERN FRONT 1914-1917 (1975) Gunther Rothenburg's THE ARMY OF FRANCIS JOSEPH (1976), and two old texts, WITH THE AUSTRIAN ARMY IN GALICIA by Octavian C. Taslauanu (1918) --which is superb--and a good photographic record, NACH OSTEN by Sven Hedin (1916)
HTH
cstunts
United States

Russian Front Battles

Postby agblume on 07 Sep 2006 16:44

Hello cj, Please visit http://www.warchron.com and use the Index and/or the Search mechanism to find some details about the battles you have an interest in. Cheers, agblume
agblume
United States

Postby crapouillot on 13 Sep 2006 12:07

Try http://www.grwar.ru : you can find some books on the Galicia Battle, in russian....but you can translate russian to english, german or french with web translator like http://www.online-translator.com/default.asp?lang=en .
And simply, you will find too maps of this books (a few very good !!).
crapouillot
France

Return to Austria-Hungary 1867–1918