Austro-Hungarian Stormtroopers and body armor?

Discussions on all aspects of Austria-Hungary. Hosted by Glenn Jewison.
Askold

Austro-Hungarian Stormtroopers and body armor?

Post by Askold » 28 May 2010, 19:02

Does anybody know if AH stormtroopers ever wore any body armor like the Germans? Did any ever privately purchased any?

P.S. Would it be possible to see any photos of AH storm troops?

Old Prohaska

Re: Austro-Hungarian Stormtroopers and body armor?

Post by Old Prohaska » 03 Jun 2010, 17:53

The Austro-Hungarians did a lot of experimentation with various "infantry shields," but they were generally considered too cumbersome for the movement required by storm troops--not to mention that Austria-Hungary was hard-pressed to supply enough steel helmets for front line troops, let alone body armor!

Try to get a copy of Christian Ortner's "Storm Troops" from Verlag Militaria (expensive, but worth it!). Here's brief article (also by Christian Ortner) with some photos: http://www.austro-hungarian-army.co.uk/ ... uppen.html

Viribus Unitis!

OP

Askold

Post by Askold » 04 Jun 2010, 20:30

Thanks Old Prohaska, I've seen the article. I dont' have the stormtroopers book but I did look at Emperor's Coat. There was no photos, but they do feature helmets with armored plates attached. Both helmet and plate are painted in AH brown color.

Askold

Post by Askold » 15 May 2011, 16:08

Old Prohaska wrote:The Austro-Hungarians did a lot of experimentation with various "infantry shields," but they were generally considered too cumbersome for the movement required by storm troops--not to mention that Austria-Hungary was hard-pressed to supply enough steel helmets for front line troops, let alone body armor!

Try to get a copy of Christian Ortner's "Storm Troops" from Verlag Militaria (expensive, but worth it!). Here's brief article (also by Christian Ortner) with some photos: http://www.austro-hungarian-army.co.uk/ ... uppen.html

Viribus Unitis!

OP
- Some photos of this book that I found on Ebay to illustrate the point:

Return to “Austria-Hungary 1867–1918”