Bela Lugosi experiences on the Eastern Front

Discussions on all aspects of Austria-Hungary. Hosted by Glenn Jewison.
fortchoteau

Bela Lugosi experiences on the Eastern Front

Post by fortchoteau » 30 Nov 2013, 03:45

The story of how the famous actor Bela Lugosi's life was transformed by the First World War.

"Unbeknownst to many, Lugosi also spent several of his formative years fighting on the front lines during World War I. His wartime experience and the conflict's chaotic aftermath in Hungary would lead him down a path that would shape his career for years to come. Casting a light on what happened to Lugosi during this time, illuminates an otherwise little known aspect of this iconic screen legend's life."

"By 1914, Lugosi had made somewhat of a name for himself in artistic circles. The sudden outbreak of World War I that summer did not seem likely to change this. Actors were exempted from military service and Lugosi did not have a martial background. Yet for reasons that are still unclear he volunteered for the Austro-Hungarian army almost immediately. Perhaps he was seeking adventure or felt the emotional urge of patriotism that gripped so many other men at that time. He was assigned to the 43rd Royal Hungarian Infantry, first serving as an infantry lieutenant. The unit was sent to the Eastern Front where they fought in Galicia against Russian forces. He served with enough distinction to gain a promotion to captain in the ski patrol."

The rest can be found here...
http://europebetweeneastandwest.wordpre ... ern-front/

Glenn2438
Host - Austria-Hungary section

Re: Bela Lugosi experiences on the Eastern Front

Post by Glenn2438 » 30 Nov 2013, 18:37

If, as it seems, Bela Lugosi had already been discharged by early 1916, he does not appear in the 1916 K.u.k. Rangliste. However, I think I can most definitively state that an individual commissioned as a Leutnant in der Reserve in 1914/1915 did NOT achieve the rank of Captain by 1916!

Regards
Glenn

fortchoteau

Post by fortchoteau » 01 Dec 2013, 02:04

Thanks Glenn! Do you have any information on the 43rd Royal Hungarian Infantry Regiment?

Brian Calkins

Post by Brian Calkins » 14 Apr 2014, 07:59

Lugosi was a stage name and he may have served under his given name of Béla Ferenc Dezső Blaskó.

The only photo on the web of Lugosi in his military uniform shows him in what appears to be a lichtblau or dunkelblau bluse with a lieutenant's collar star but also with a shoulder cord. This would indicate a non-infantry unit, counter to his biography. It has been suggested that he had the cord because he was an adjutant. Is this possible?

He is supposed to have joined in 1914, but I'm not sure if he served in the KuK or the kk Honved. Any thoughts are appreciated.

Return to “Austria-Hungary 1867–1918”