Prinz von Braganza

Discussions on all aspects of Austria-Hungary. Hosted by Glenn Jewison.
Jochen Kruesmann

Prinz von Braganza

Post by Jochen Kruesmann » 16 Feb 2014, 19:26

Hello,

I am searching for any detail on a "Prinz von Braganza".

During my researches I found that he was obviously involved in a Turkish mission of Prince Osman Fuat Pascha which left Pola on the German submarine UC 73 on 11.05.1918 and landed at Misrata / Libya on 17.05.1918.

I am not quite sure, but some internet sources states that he was...:

Miguel Maximiliano Sebastao Maria Prinz de Bragança * 22. September 1878 in Reichenau a.d. Rax – † 21. Februar 1923 in New York.

He was neither a German officer nor a Austrian Naval officer so I presume that he might have been a k.u.k. Army officer.

Any details concerning his life and mission are very welcomed.

Jochen Krüsmann

gyuresz

Re: Prinz von Braganza

Post by gyuresz » 17 Feb 2014, 01:31

Hello,

I think you have found the wrong person. According to the Portuguese Wiki, Prince Miguel de Bragança served as Hauptmann in a German motorized transport unit during WWI:

http://pt.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miguel_de_ ... e_de_Viseu

György

Jochen Kruesmann

Re: Prinz von Braganza

Post by Jochen Kruesmann » 17 Feb 2014, 19:17

O.k., thanks well noticed!

There was also a brother Príncipe Francisco José de Bragança; 7 September 1879 – 15 June 1919 serving as an officer in the k.u.k. army. It is said that he died in Italian war prison at the isle of Ischia.

As the Prinz von Braganza I am looking for couldn`t leave Lybia anymore in the beginning of November 1918 on the last German submarine which left the country I tend to believe that he surrendered to the Italian or capture and taken into prison by Italian forces and was transferred to Ischia were he died!?

Does anyone has some informations about where this officer was captured and what was his rank in Austro-Hungarian Army?

Many thanks in advance.

J. Krüsmann

Return to “Austria-Hungary 1867–1918”