Information on photos of graves

Discussions on all aspects of Austria-Hungary. Hosted by Glenn Jewison.
KKND

Information on photos of graves

Post by KKND » 12 Jul 2014, 21:01

Hi, i have a few photos of a Austro-Hungarian funeral and i am trying to find out more information about them as my great grandfather is in photos (not been buried, but standing next to the graves) and i know next to nothing about him in WW1. Also my knowledge of graves is zero and i know very little of Austro-Hungarian Units. I have tried looking up the names on that Austrian database but im not having much look so maybe some fresh eyes could help.

Some information on the graves is pretty clear but im not sure what some of it means and trying to work out the date is a pain. In the photos it looks like it could be either 8.IX.1915 or 8.IX.1916 however a comment on the back of one of the photos says 9.IIX.1915 so im not sure.

Does anyone know what the little cross represents on each grave? i was thinking medic as my great grandfather was a medic for some part of the war (or maybe all the of war). Also what does the F Sp 1908 (i think that's what i says) mean?

95. Division

Re: Information on photos of graves

Post by 95. Division » 12 Jul 2014, 22:06

The cross means day of death. Dostal and Fischer seem to have died on 8.September 1918. In the upper right corner you see the unit. Fischer and Distal were both gunners, one of GAR 2, the other FKR 4. Spacil was indeed Medic with Sanitäts Kompanie 6.

Return to “Austria-Hungary 1867–1918”