A H Pows fighting in central Asia 1917-18?RCW?

Discussions on all aspects of Austria-Hungary. Hosted by Glenn Jewison.
dont tell them pike

A H Pows fighting in central Asia 1917-18?RCW?

Post by dont tell them pike » 15 Aug 2014, 10:42

Hello,

any Austro- Hungarian (or German) Pow's involved in the fighting in central Asia after 1917 ? either as part of the bolshevik forces or as a armed force threatening the British in Persia or Afghanistan ?

Ranjit.
Don't tell him pike !

Bernaschek

Re: A H Pows fighting in central Asia 1917-18?RCW?

Post by Bernaschek » 15 Aug 2014, 12:48

Hi !

Yes definitely.
For example the ammunition factory of the Emir of Buchara was run by an Austrian Officer.

There were quite a number of prisoners of war camps in that area, and some prisoners choose to fight

As I'm just relocating, I don't have acces to my files - this is basically from a museum catalogue from the Vienna Museum of civilizations, on a central asia exhibition, by Alfred Janata, about 1987

There is also a hungarian film on WWI, "the red and the white" by miklos Janso, but that does not play in Central Asia, rather the Wolga area
"nuts"

James A Pratt III

Re: A H Pows fighting in central Asia 1917-18?RCW?

Post by James A Pratt III » 18 Aug 2014, 21:42

The Osprey book "The Russian Civil war (1) The Red army Michael Krsovstov mentions the Hungarian Hussars and some post 1920 serving in the International Cavalry division

"Like Hidden Fire Peter Hopkins mentions a battle fought by the 16th Punjabs and Whites vs the Reds and ex Austro-Hungarian POWs. I think his book "Setting the East ablaze also mentions them.

"The Cheka Lenin's Political Police" mentions Hungarians serving in the Cheka and RKKA

"Stalin Court of the Red Tsar" mentions Karl Pauker a Hungarian Jew who was the head of Stalin's NKVD bodyguard for several years. He was shot in 1937.

"Last Days of the Romanovs mentions a ex-Hungarian POW Andres Verhaus a member of the Cheka inner bodyguard force that guarded Tsar Nicholas II and family in its final days. He was selected to take part in the killing of them but refused. There is also mention of other ex-Austro-Hungarian and German POWs serving the Red side during this period in this book.

I hope this is of some use

Return to “Austria-Hungary 1867–1918”