Records of Autro-Hungarian soldiers

Discussions on all aspects of Austria-Hungary. Hosted by Glenn Jewison.
NedP

Records of Autro-Hungarian soldiers

Post by NedP » 17 Oct 2014, 05:07

My paternal ancestry hails from Lika, now part of Croatia, but previously a part of A-H. My grandfather, a Serb, served in the A-H army during WWI, and my great-great grandfather served in the A-H army and died at the Battle of Solferino, fighting Napoleon. I have heard that the Austrian government still has records (of some sort) for soldiers who served in their army, certainly for WWI. Does anyone have any idea who I might contact in an effort to dig up whatever info there is on my ancestors in the A-H army? And help appreciated.

Frech
Forum Staff

Re: Records of Autro-Hungarian soldiers

Post by Frech » 17 Oct 2014, 11:23

Try this link:

http://www.oesta.gv.at/site/7817/default.aspx

Regards

Christian

NedP

Post by NedP » 17 Oct 2014, 23:22

Thanks, Christian! I guess I'll have to brush up on my German!

Best,
Bodie

riffraff

Post by riffraff » 21 Feb 2015, 16:19

Was Lika administered by Hungary or Austria? Depending on the answer, you may find you'll need to contact the Hungarian Archive in Budapest:
Hadtörténelmi Levéltár
1014 Budapest
Kapisztrán tér 2-4 Hungary

ariedl

Post by ariedl » 04 Mar 2015, 20:54

Apologies if this is common knowledge, but I recently contacted the archive in Budapest regarding my grandfather's service in the AH army during 1917-18. This was the response I received today:
In reply to your letter, I regret to tell you that all Drafting and Recruitment Lists and Military Registers of soldiers born in Hungary between 1850 and 1899 and served in the Austro-Hungarian Army were totally destroyed during the Second World War. Accordingly, because of lack of data, we are not able to provide you with any pieces of information concerning military career of Adalbert Riedl.

Let us suggest you establishing contact with the War History Archives at Vienna to. Address: A-1030 Wien Österreichisches Staatsarchiv/Kriegsarchiv Nottendorfergasse 2. e-mail: [email protected].
I was planning on contacting the Kriegsarchiv anyway, but was disappointed to find out the archive in Budapest doesn't have any records.

Return to “Austria-Hungary 1867–1918”