Some ??? about kuk army at 1914

Discussions on all aspects of Austria-Hungary. Hosted by Glenn Jewison.
AlekBolduin

Some ??? about kuk army at 1914

Post by AlekBolduin » 16 Apr 2015, 12:05

What is the total strength of the Austro-Hungarian artillery pieces and machineguns in 1914.
I've seen the numbers for the mobilization units (batteries or regiments), but it is unclear –how much all guns, shells and MGs was in fact (including in reserve)?
What was the military doctrine of the use of kuk artillery?
What were the TOE for the artillery battery and artillery supply-baggage - peacetime, wartime?
Why Landwehr had one battalion of field artillery (Landwehr-Feldkanonendivision) and one battalion of field howitzers (Landwehr-Haubitzdivision) per division? But Honved had 1 Field Artillery Regiment (Honvéd-Feldkanonenregiment ) per division?
What is the meaning of this difference?
Why did Austria-Hungary kuk army had 42 Field Artillery Regiment (Feldkanonenregiment) and 14 regiments of field howitzers (Feldhaubitzregiment) and 10 Mounted Artillery regiments (Gebirgsartillerieregiment) united in 14 FA brigades at 1 per KopsKommando to peacetime.
But only one brigade of the field artillery per division (not all)in time of war? Why some division have not FA brigade?
What is the reason for that : some kuk regiments not to have the total number of own battalions (4) in together? Many regiments had 3 battalions at the mainbody, and the fourth - in a different place (for example 91 IR have three battalions in the Czech, one Battalion in Ragusa , in 14 Gebirgsbrigade)?

James A Pratt III

Re: Some ??? about kuk army at 1914

Post by James A Pratt III » 23 May 2015, 01:29

I would say the reason some KUK regiments had one battalion separate was in case of trouble in an area and the government had to call out the troops to deal with a riot ect. these troops from another region would not be reluctant to fire on people if ordered to do so.

I think some of the TO&E and other info may be in Austria-Hungary's last war 1914-1918 which is online and was posted on this site.

Return to “Austria-Hungary 1867–1918”