German Torpedo Boat and Destroyer Operations in the Channel and North-See

Discussions on all aspects of the First World War not covered in the other sections. Hosted by Terry Duncan.
jluetjen

German Torpedo Boat and Destroyer Operations in the Channel and North-See

Post by jluetjen » 04 Dec 2016, 19:22

Does anyone know any good sources for information on this topic (aside from the German Naval History of WWI)? I find it curious that so little has been published on the subject. The British have published histories of their side of the activities (including Taprell Dorling's "Endless Story: Destroyer Operations in the Great War" which I accidentally picked up published in German), but I haven't been able to find much written about the German side. As far as the German Navy was concerned, it appears to me that the Torpedo Boats, Mine-Sweepers, and Destroyers (although the Germans didn't formally call their ocean-going Torpedo Boats that term) were among the most active units aside from the U-Boats, engaging their Allied counterparts on a fairly regular basis.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Terry Duncan
Forum Staff

Re: German Torpedo Boat and Destroyer Operations in the Channel and North-See

Post by Terry Duncan » 04 Dec 2016, 22:43

I think there are some older books from the 1920s and 30s such as memoirs in German that cover the war as you mention, but I really cannot tell you the name of them. Of newer works, most are from the British side, but the book "Wielding the Dagger: The Marinekorps Flandern and the German War Effort 1914–1918" by Mark Karau covers a lot of the activities off Flanders and includes the attacks on the Dover Straits. To be honest I cannot think of anything else, even actions like 2nd Heligoland Bight are only covered by British sources as far as I know. It is a real shame as the German forces really deserve more coverage than they have at present.

https://www.amazon.com/Mark-D.-Karau/e/ ... ont_book_1

Tanzania

Post by Tanzania » 05 Dec 2016, 08:06

Jluetjen,

That’s not the original answer to your search, but some interesting personal records are from Torpedo-boat-crews of the German Imperial Navy.

In the online accessible book » Kämpfer an vergessenen Fronten «, Wolfgang Förster, 1931

Bericht des Kapitänleutnants Brunner, Kommandant des Torpedoboots „S 90
Page 213 http://digi.landesbibliothek.at/viewer/ ... 24635/227/

Brief des Deckoffiziers Paul Käßner des Torpedobootes „G 9
Page 225 http://digi.landesbibliothek.at/viewer/ ... 24635/239/

Brief des Torpedomaschinistenmaats Ernst Schwanitz des Torpedobootes „S 120
Page 235 http://digi.landesbibliothek.at/viewer/ ... 24635/249/

Brief des Materialverwaltersmaats Thilo Sölter des Torpedobootes „V 158
Page 235 http://digi.landesbibliothek.at/viewer/ ... 24635/249/

Brief des Deckoffiziers Paul Käßner des Torpedobootes „G 9
Page 242 http://digi.landesbibliothek.at/viewer/ ... 24635/258/

Brief des Reservisten Franz Reichardt des Torpedobootes „S 34
Page 246 http://digi.landesbibliothek.at/viewer/ ... 24635/262/

Brief des Maschinistenmaates des Torpedobootes „T 77
Page 246 http://digi.landesbibliothek.at/viewer/ ... 24635/262/

Brief eines Steuermeisters des österreichisch-ungarischen Torpedobootszerstörers „Lika
Page 294 http://digi.landesbibliothek.at/viewer/ ... 24635/316/

Brief des Heizers P. Schneider des Torpedobootes „S 139
Page 303 http://digi.landesbibliothek.at/viewer/ ... 24635/325/

Brief des Kapitänleutnants Claußen des Torpedobootes „V 99
Page 307 http://digi.landesbibliothek.at/viewer/ ... 24635/329/

Brief des Matrosen Erwin Lang des Torpedobootes „V 69
Page 321 http://digi.landesbibliothek.at/viewer/ ... 24635/345/

Regards Holger
“Day by day and almost minute by minute the past was brought up to date. . . . All History was a
palimpsest, scraped clean and reinscribed exactly as often as was necessary” – G. ORWELL 1984

jluetjen

Post by jluetjen » 06 Dec 2016, 02:50

Excellent Thank-you.

Terry; as far as..."It is a real shame as the German forces really deserve more coverage than they have at present." I'm not sure if "deserves" is as much the case as I think that it's hard to understand the history if we're only looking at one side's accounts.

I'll see if I can translate those accounts over the next month or 2 and repost them here.

Felix C

Post by Felix C » 08 Dec 2016, 03:00

Have read a few memoirs and inter-war books. Translated, expanded and annotated Callisen's V188 My Torpedoboat War Patrols. It is a wartime publication. Rather well regarded among German critics for not being a typical propaganda piece. Coming to Amazon soon.

jluetjen

Bericht des Kapitänleutnants Brunner, Kommandant des Torpedoboots „S 90“

Post by jluetjen » 08 Dec 2016, 03:30

Report by the captain, Brunner, commander of the torpedo boat "S 90".

On the 17th of October, "S 90" went into the sea, passed the block line, and gave way to three Japanese torpedo boat destroyers, who were part of the blockade squadron, while the ship cruised on the search for enemy ships on the night of Oct. 18 , About 1.30 Ahr, one was discovered in dark ammunition (the Japanese cruiser "Takachiho"); A chimney and two masts had it. We stalked forward, I told the Rohrmeister (Torpedo officer?) the position, I sent Lieutenant zur See Steinmetz to the front pipe and Lieutenant zur See Grosse to the rear. Both of them were able to support the reeders by their excellent night glasses. The Reserve Lieutenant zur See Ääuser held the guard on the bridge. Now it was time to attack. At an acute angle the enemy attacked, the engines of the old boat gave their last; Under the direction of the proven torpedo machine operator Schäfer, machines and boilers were served in an excellent manner. The unnoticed approach to the enemy had only been made possible by the almost smoky driving of the Azeri. Now we had arrived at 500 meters, and I turned off to fire the torpedoes. In a short order three torpedo shots were fired, the last one only about 300 meters away. The course could be followed closely; They ran toward the enemy ship. As a result of repeated flashing, the opponent gave an alarm signal. As soon as this was finished, the explosions took place. The third explosion had a tremendous effect. In the natural excitement and the great nervous tension I was in, I had the impression, as well as the officers and men, as if "S 90" had been fired with all the guns, and explosions were all around All so lightning on one another that I can not even remember having heard the tremendous crash of the explosion, which even shook. But then I saw how the whole ship literally flew into the air; There were chimneys, masts, guns, kettles whirling around in the air, and a firelohe about 100 meters high shot from the ship. An explosion of explosives spilled over the boat, and "S 90" had to go through a distance of about 200 meters before it came out of this kagel. It is a miracle that not one of the teams on the deck was hit. Beside me fell an about three kilograms of heavy iron rags. I did not notice it and only stumbled upon it later. The Torpedomashinist noticed a boulder of at least a meter in diameter, which flew over the boat in a high arc and fell into the water 200 meters ahead of us. Apart from some bumps, the boat has not suffered any damage.

"S 90" was immediately pursued by the enemy, who had not escaped the explosion, but escaped in the first confusion under the cover of the darkness, and a return to Tsingtau was impossible because the enemy had cut off the return route I was able to reach the coast at dawn and burst the boat (scuttled it) with the remaining Reservetorpedo just before the arrival of the enemy, before the emperor brought down the flag and the pennant with three hurras. A total wreck. The three reps, however, whose torpedoes have all met are: Torpedooberbootsmannsmaat Gräfe, Torpedobootsmannsmaate Pfeifer and Kargus. From the beginning of the journey to the last, the entire crew had been extremely well served and worked at all battle stations with peace and amont. Even in our earlier ventures, in battles against Japanese land batteries in the bay of Kiaochou, the attitude of the occupation was excellent, and the artillery shooting was equally good.
Attachments
Japanese_cruiser_Takechiho.jpg
The Takechinhi
Japanese_cruiser_Takechiho.jpg (31.72 KiB) Viewed 1594 times
SMS_S_90_NH_45589.jpg
The S90

jluetjen

Brief des Deckosfiziers Paul Käßner des Torpedobootes „G 9".

Post by jluetjen » 08 Dec 2016, 05:07

Letter from Deck Officer Paul Käßner of the Torpedo boat G9

Wilhelmshaven, 3 September 1914.
heligoland-map-1200.jpg
A Map of the Battle
On Friday, August 28th, I've been in the fire. Our boat "G 9" was the first to start the fight, and we had begun with coal at 7 o'clock in the Helgoländer harbor, when shortly afterwards we were given the order to go out at once to sail north-west of Helgoland We walked at the front, we ran out as the first boat, and hunted with the utmost force, and after a while we saw four torpedobots in front of us, which we still had for our deceptive similarity to ours at this great distance And when we were about 4099 meters up, we recognized the enemy, and from there on, it flashed over and the next second We all turned up at the top of the road, where we had a few small enemy cruisers. Everything fired like mad at the attacking torpedobots on us. The next ten minutes we fought with our two guns against about 60 English. During this time at least 300 shells have been sown around us. It is a miracle that no one met. Or better, the English shot so badly. 30-40 meters around us the shells struck on all sides. Because of the great overpower, we had to go back to meet our boats coming towards us.
In a short time our flotilla (eleven boats) was on the spot. The English were more and more. The grenade fire increased to the nail. Only one hit was scored during the entire time. On "V 3" were a dead man and two severely injured, and Bon, the former machinist, was only a few
Bloody stuffing and flesh. A grenade had probably torn him overboard.
SMS_V_2.jpg
V2, sister ship of the V3
Then, when the "Stettin" appeared, the British retreated immediately.
1024px-SMS_Stettin_1912_LOC_hec_01151.jpg
Light Cruiser SMS Stettin
The cruiser sat them angry about. We went south around Helgoland, while the cruiser north went to Helgoland. The English, although they had also against the cruiser heavy odds, were always coming in and out of sight. From the misty air, more and more vigorous canon sounds were heard across the North Sea. We always followed with utmost force. We were always looking for the enemy, and the shooting stopped, and we were always looking for the west, and we were looking for the In the front, to the left of us, we saw, after about half an hour of rescue boats, crowded with men, and when we came nearer, we recognized them as English boats I recognized well-known Kiel comrades, who were the survivors of "V 187".
SMS_V187at_Heligoland.jpg
Postcard of the V187
SMS_V187at_Heligoland.jpg (74.26 KiB) Viewed 1591 times
It had suddenly been attacked by strong enemy forces on outposts, and, when the cruisers wanted to withdraw, on this side also encountered strong enemy forces. They had shot the poor fellows with twenties. However, they also suffered strong losses. When they fell as V 187, they had their boats suspended to save them and to take prisoners. Suddenly, one of our cruisers came out of the fog and fired volleys at the enemy, abandoning their boats with our people.
th3B7N467T.jpg
Recovering the lifeboats
th3B7N467T.jpg (18.02 KiB) Viewed 1591 times
The cruiser could not take care of the boats with the people, but was always behind the enemy, to the same evil. Bon was not injured to the people of "V 187", some of them very difficult. But the British must have shot a shot, for otherwise no one could have escaped from the V 187. With the people we had taken, we were then thrown to Kolzleben, some looked terrible, one of them had two shots through his chest, and also his left leg Handbreit under the knee, so that the water in the rescue boat was a single bloodbath, bone splints and flesh-trapping hung around, and the foot of the foot was still shot at the right foot, and he still inquired about the condition of his companion lying next to him "We had a great deal of pain, and we had a lot of dead men who were carried in the water by the floats, As a result of serious injury and great loss of blood, have become fainting, fallen over, and so drowned. All attempts to resuscitate were vain.

Already aboard the English torpedo boat; As our cruisers approached, they jumped overboard and swam to the cruisers. According to these people, the dead and wounded have been decked in large numbers on deck. Our machine guns of "V 187" were tidy, and we went to Wilhelmshaven in the evening because we were punished by the outpost on the same day, where we also experienced the losses of our three cruisers But the Englishman is still taken with him, and a number of torpedo-boats have been lost, according to reliable information from rescued eye-witnesses, and he has lost even larger ships, and you, as I say, will be disappointed by the expulsion of this battle But this is not so, on the contrary, the intentions of the British are thwarted, and with bloody heads they are rejected, they have suffered more heavily than we do, which they themselves admit The Englishman is lying, as no nation has lied in a war. For example, he has done the following: Our boats have been on their coast, and in one night have sunk many of their fishers after their occupation. On interrogation, the prisoners then reported that they had asked their custodians, whether they could run without danger to fishing. And they were told by their own authorities that they could do so, for Wilhelmshaven and all other German North Sea ports would be in English possession. Thus the English government lied to its own people. And England has already suffered much more damage and lost more ships than us. Do not be afraid of us in the country. We're going to get him in a bad way, and our hour is still coming. We are all firmly convinced of this. The Englishman must and will come to us, and his superintendence is the same.
Last edited by jluetjen on 09 Dec 2016, 02:27, edited 1 time in total.

jluetjen

Post by jluetjen » 08 Dec 2016, 05:08

A picture of a damaged torpedo boat that went with the above account.
Attachments
Damaged Torpedo Boat.jpg

jluetjen

Post by jluetjen » 09 Dec 2016, 01:50

Here are a couple of pictures from the November 6, 1915 Milwaukee Germania-Harold Kriegs album. The upper picture is captioned as being in a U-Boat, but the shape of the hull, the lack of plumbing and the general light-weight nature of the framing makes me think that it is inside the Forecastle of a Torpedo-boat.
Attachments
T-Boot Life2.jpg

jluetjen

Brief des Torpedo-Obermaschinistenmaats Ernst Schwanitz des Torpedobootes „S 120".

Post by jluetjen » 09 Dec 2016, 02:25

Letter of Senior Torpedo Machinist Mate Ernst Schwanitz of Torpedo boat S120

North Sea, 19 December 1914.

We have a lot to do now and do not get any rest day and night. We always have to go outside on outposts or take long-distance voyages. We are often on the road for three weeks, without even seeing a trace of English ships. We have searched the English Channel as well as around Scotland. But the English have disappeared from the sea. They are always wondering how we can get through their mini barriers. It is dangerous for us, but we get through. These trips may all still go, if only would not be such bad weather . First of all powerful cold and then a storm and swell to the fact that it sometimes greets you to drive out. Do not think about sleeping, because if you do not bunk in the berth (bed), you fly out every minute in a high arc. In the machine room, one must formally tie to its machines. Then no fresh relief, but lasting for days in the hot, stuffy petroleum thistles(?). The whole food and drink tastes of petroleum.

But a sailor can stand everything, and you never see a sad face. On Monday, the 14th of December, we made a little trip to England again with the fleet, and it was very successful. Actually, we should get the British fleet out of their hiding-place, but it did not come. I would not have thought that such a cowardly bubble is at sea. On the way back, three "sea fortresses" (Man-made island gun-platforms?) fired at us. There are cities of 100,000 inhabitants and large commercial ports. In all three the coastal fortresses were put out of action, gasworks, power station, waterworks and signaling station were shot into debris. We did not have any losses. The inhabitants fled over a hill to Hull, a town still lying in the interior of England. On the eve of the evening, about six o'clock, we entered the battle with five English destroyers. Two of us were shot down and sank with their entire crew of 150 men in the time of seven minutes into the sea depth. We could not save people because we were again attacked by the three other destroyers. One was still heavily damaged while the other two escaped. On Wednesday evening we arrived at Helgoland again. We did not have any losses.
Attachments
SMS_S_115.jpg
SMS S115, Sister ship to the S120

jluetjen

Brief des Materialverwaltersmaats Thilo Sölter des Torpedobootes „V 158“

Post by jluetjen » 09 Dec 2016, 04:26

Letter from Thilo Sölter, the Quartermasters Mate, of the torpedo boat "V 158".

. . . , December 20, 1914.
SMS_V_158_und_SMS_V_160.jpg
The SMS V158 and its sister ship V160 (V155 would have been similar)
SMS Hamburg.jpg
The SMS Hamburg under way
Detail of the Bridge of the SMS Hamburg (With the Kaiser).jpg
Detail of the Bridge of the SMS Hamburg (with the Kaiser)
We will probably have read from our two approaches to the English coast. Both times I was there. I will tell you only about the last one, for he was the most interesting. We, a second boat ("V 160") and a small cruiser ("Hamburg"), which we followed at distances of 200-300 meters, formed part of the vanguard. It was a quiet night with an overcast sky. Everything was dimmed, and no glimmer of light could betray us. So it went forward through the darkness. At high speed, some chunks of sea water spray up to the top of the Command Bridge. The good mood, however, was not affected, at most only sometimes the taste of the love chocolate. There was no thought of sleep. Shortly before dawn, I said, "To the guns!" Once again, I was convinced that everything on my machine gun was in order, because the slightest mistake made the carousel jam in the middle of a fierce fire. A torpedo boat ("V 155") was in a battle with enemy destroyers, as the wireless telegraphy reported. Every nerve was strained. As the face was heavily covered, no one could see. Dark points came into view at port (left side of the ship). A brief flash of colored lights as a call, the answer was just as short and fast, it was from the nearness. The journey continued, it had become stereotypical. The eternal stars looked down upon us peacefully. At one time, I said, "Watch!" I took the machine gun's shoulder more firmly, and I could never forget it, and the headlights of the cruiser flashed, and a hostile destroyer crossed our course in the bright, sharp light. He sailed at about 30 knots at a distance of about 300-400 meters, lightning and flashing of the guns was one, a testimony of good training, and the shells burst out on the enemy 's ship and tore down the half bridge Enemy, to the Torpedo-tubes. The cruiser turned toward him, showing him no attack surface (profile). Again, the bow-guns broke and the wide sides twisted. The destroyer lost his journey, stayed behind, and disappeared in the waves. In the meantime, three more enemy destroyers fired at us. They shot far too high, so that the shells flew away, hissing and howling, over our heads like the hailstones. At first it is a funny feeling, since you are free and open without any cover, but soon you are as calm as usual. Now the cruiser also directed his fire on the next enemy. The latter received another hit from us, wrapped himself in a smoke cloud and disappeared in the darkness. But we know nothing about his destiny. The rest of the destroyers had now evaporated. The cracking of the guns, the bulging of the shells, and the detonation in the ears, still boom. The battle did not last as long as I tell you here, because it must be remembered that both opponents were running at high speed, that is, with fast speed.

Attrition

Post by Attrition » 15 Dec 2016, 00:24

Terry Duncan wrote:I think there are some older books from the 1920s and 30s such as memoirs in German that cover the war as you mention, but I really cannot tell you the name of them. Of newer works, most are from the British side, but the book "Wielding the Dagger: The Marinekorps Flandern and the German War Effort 1914–1918" by Mark Karau covers a lot of the activities off Flanders and includes the attacks on the Dover Straits. To be honest I cannot think of anything else, even actions like 2nd Heligoland Bight are only covered by British sources as far as I know. It is a real shame as the German forces really deserve more coverage than they have at present.

https://www.amazon.com/Mark-D.-Karau/e/ ... ont_book_1
Karau might be better than nothing but I found little of what I wanted in it, it's a bit sloppy and anecdotal where I want details. I could find very little about the excursion to the Somme either....

jluetjen

Post by jluetjen » 15 Dec 2016, 01:47

Yes. I've got "Wielding the Dagger..." myself. Nothing at the level that I'm looking for in this case. As far as the "excursion to the Somme", I've got quite a bit from the regiment's history, as well as their opposing units. All that I need is a couple of German voices and I'm ready to make a self-produced Youtube documentary. Any volunteers? But that is the subject for a different thread. http://forum.axishistory.com/viewtopic. ... 6#p2052596

jluetjen

Brief des Deckoffiziers Paul Käßner des Torpedobootes „G 9“

Post by jluetjen » 17 Dec 2016, 17:23

Letter from the deck officer Paul Käßner of the torpedo boat "G 9".
Wilhelmshaven, January 31, 1915.

(The G9 was of the 1911 class of Torpedoboats. 6 were built by AG Vulcan - thus carrying V- numbers, while G9 was one of the 6 which were built by Germaniawerft and carried G- numbers. It would have looked very similar to the V2 shown in this image. The same applies to V5 which is mentioned below)
SMS_V_2.jpg
SMS V2
If I'm not mistaken, I wrote to you a long time ago that I am always there, because my flotilla consists of the newer and faster boats, so it is always an attack flotilla. We were all very astonished when we read the first newspapers, that there was always a sea-battle at Helgoland. The name "sea battle on the Doggerbank" would be much more correct, for we were stumped there, where the first shot was fired, and there we encountered vastly superior enemy forces, and there we attacked, for we were not the attackers But we can only prove that this is self-evident, for we are already the attacking part, because the main part of the struggle took place in English waters, and Helgoland is out of the question, because the last shot, and indeed from our side At the end of the day it was about 70 miles north-west of Heligoland, and as far as I can tell you, it was sufficient that a real attack on the English coast at Darmouth-Hartlepool was not planned. It was a Saturday night, six o'clock in the evening, four Armoured Cruisers, four small cruisers, two torpedo boats flottilas, 22 boats, Including five of the latest boats, which were put into service only after the outbreak of war, which means they have finished. It was a beautiful torpedo boat night. A proper "cap" of the dark and moderately moving sea. During the night, no fishing boats, steamers, and similar "civilian chickens" were caught, so that we were not reported prematurely. In addition, we wanted to enter into an exchange of views with them. Shortly after I had drunk coffee on the 24th of January, I went on deck, because I had to take the guard soon. In broad front we steamed westwards with 16-17 miles. On the starboard side of us - on the left of us - as a left wing group SMS "Kolberg" with four torpedobots, shortly thereafter, a few seconds later, broadsides broke out, and we could clearly see the twilight That there is a pack of torpedoboats - enemy - our boats and the "Kolberg" with Breitseiten always between them. The enemy fired several times. There, at least, an enemy destroyer has been destroyed, and some others have been shot down. If this has not yet been officially reported on our part, the only reason for this is that enemy ship losses will only be officially reported by us if we know the name of the ship in question. "Kolberg" approached us closer and reported: "get a hit, two men dead." This is the only damage that "Kolberg" has received during the whole battle.If the English Admiral reports that this ship had sunk, it is a deliberate lie. Of the Little Cruisers, no one ever got hit except the one on the "Kolberg." In the meantime it had become bright, and we saw in front of us strong smoke clouds, which could only come from hostile forces A crime on our part to continue our course, and perhaps to follow a tenfold stronger adversary, we turned to counter-course, and with about 18 miles we ran back, endeavoring to lure the enemy with us We were miles away from the German coast, and there was not a single German ship or squadron behind us on the way, that the enemy had endeavored to do so with us, that is to say, to the English coast about 80-100 miles distant Where, at this very moment, strong enemy lines of squadrons of ships were destroying our destruction, we were never doubtful. "Seydlitz", "Moltke", "Derfflinger", and last "Blücher" in Kiellinie Behind the other, to the right, the little cruisers in Dwarslinie, or next to each other, and behind us torpedo boats - we steamed. Barely noticeable behind us were some enemy destroyers who kept in touch. Shortly after ½ 9 o'clock "Blücher" with its 21 - centimeter rear guns fired several times on these. The results could not be determined correctly because of the far distance, but also the smoke masses prevented The fire was opened at 22,000 meters, for example, "Blücher" was unable to answer because his heavy artillery - he has only 21 centimeters - could not reach there. On the horizon, on the left of us, strong smoke clouds were noticed, apparently arising from strong enemy forces which were trying to cut us off. Later our Zeppelin reported twelve cruisers and a mass of large torpedo boats. With regard to this, our speed was increased to 24 miles. "Blücher" was still steaming in his position in the line of command, and the battle was now in full swing, always with the heavy artillery, for other guns could not come into question because of the long distance "Blücher" started to stay behind, apparently he had received a heavy hit and reported shortly thereafter a machine havarie. He steamed out of the fire line and slowly retreated. I would now like to answer the question, "Why are you not staying with him?" This is simply impossible, every naval battle must be carried on, or the most serious danger is exposed - lying ship, the whole fire can be concentrated, and there is almost every shot, and with respect to the great hostile impotence which was on the spot, and which still drowned, we had to continue our voyage in order to obtain the superior strength of the enemy by a speed as fast as possible We must agree with all parties that this battle was a so-called "battle-of-battle". We were on our way to the other side, and the enemy with powerful forces on a journey to the east, on the way to us. Thus, the presence of superior strong enemy forces of every type of ship must be explained. The battle continued. After 10 o'clock, the "Seydlitz" boat was suddenly lit. After a hit, a hit that crossed the water line and hit the tank, the fire broke out, the flame was thrown out of the house After a few more minutes, an equal flame again struck out again in the same time in the rear left, the two rear towers of the "Seydlitz" no longer firing, but the three front towers in an old manner. Any damage of a serious nature was not to be noticed by the ship. It drove on its battlefield in the same way and fired further. I shall come back to this goal, which was the only one which our ships had ever received. The fight was now led to 18,000 meters and went on. As it was about "Blücher" and where it was, we could not make out the smoke clouds. "After 1/2 12 o'clock came order:" Torpedoboote collect to the attack! " Shortly after, Stander "Z" went up, that is, for the torpedo bomber: "Ran to the enemy, attack!" The battle had reached its climax. At the same time we made torpedo boats, and all the other ships also swung back to attack the enemy. Then he turned and ran at high speed, retreating before our assault. At this time something else happened. The torpedo boat "V 5" had to be left behind because a water pipe had been torn to a boiler, but the enemy had not noticed it, for at this time our heavy artillery dreaded him terribly, or was his light, the so-called Torpedobots defense artillery had already fired into rubble that he could not fight against this tiny torpedo shell, in short, "V 5" fired two torpedoes at a distance of 6000 meters. One has hit perfectly. The second explosion could not be noticed due to smoke masses driven in between. The enemy ship sank. His name could not be ascertained because there were no longer any clues, such as the position and the number of masts and chimneys. The upper deck was a terrible sight. Circling chimneys and masts, swept away from the interior, flames coming from the interior, heavy side of the road, which is always the sign of immense quantities of water that has penetrated into the ship's interior, and so on. Perhaps these causes were decisive for Admiral Admiral of England, and we were not to await our attack. A torpedo attack could not be done earlier, because this can only be done in the day battle when the enemy's torpedoboot artillery is heavily demolished, and this can only be accepted after hours of heavy fighting. From the Zeppelin, then, detailed reports about the state of the enemy and about our "Blücher" were sent in. How did you get to the bottom of the story? The Bluff had shot two enemy destroyers just before they had begun. "There was a great deal of smoke and flames in the ships And has made it sink. In the evening, one of our submarines still carried a hostile destroyer on the ground. On several occasions I have seen how the sparks and fragments flew at the enemy's side. You must keep in mind that, if possible, only salvoes are fired because of the moral effect. Now think, ten pieces of 28-centimeter shells, for which every eight per cent of the weight weighs, suddenly fall from a space, which, after all, is called limited. So ruffled Old England was powerful. Now that the Zeppelin report had been received by the Blücher, and since there was no longer a single ship in battle with the enemy, he had broken off the battle, there was no longer any cause for us to smite him again, and then It was a very easy prey, so we continued our course to the German coast, and anchored on the jade at six o'clock in the evening, and I was suddenly told that "Seydlitz" reported 110 dead. Shortly afterwards she steamed past Wilhelmshaven. It was absolutely nothing to her, but she lay a little deeper than usual. On the "Seydlitz" the following has now added during the battle: This one of the contestants, of whom I spoke above, has fallen into the rear battle-room If the powder does not explode like that of the French, but burns only with a tremendous development of the ante, this stifle-like fire is explained, the first Brand then also ignited the ammunition of the room immediately above, the second fire, of which I spoke above. You must think of the whole story like a blow-up explosion. In addition there is the effect of the poisonous gases produced by the explosion of this one English shell. By burning and suffocating, 110 men from "Seydlitz" had perished, as had been the case with the enemy, for we were witnessed by dozens of full-fledged people, and the mummies were seized at Seydlitz. On the Emperor's birthday we buried them. By the actual explosion of the grenades, about a dozen people have been torn. This was the only hit. "Derfflinger" has still received some minor damage from so-called "Anterwaffers", which are hits that hit the water a few meters before the ship and then hit the ship's body through their water , Therefore also their low effect. Furthermore, we have suffered no damage. Apart from "Seydlitz", which has to do for a few weeks, all the forces involved in the battle can go back into action tomorrow, and the world will soon find out enough that they will do it On our side, even if we have lost "Blücher". As the relationship between the combat forces of both opponents-I have only the units on both sides in the fire in mind, but not the forces still in reserve on the English side-can be found in the attached time schedule. It is the most accurate summary from the point of view of the expert I have found so far. As to the actual combat itself, it is difficult to reproduce the impressions which have been obtained. The human language is not enough. I never saw anything more impressive. At times, the sea was literally boiling around us from the invading enemy shells. The 34-centimeter shells hurl a water column, probably as high as the Göring church tower. For this enormous cannon-thunder. On "Seydlitz", for example, the center tower has given 150 shot, that is, for each gun 75 shot, so this number will have been normal for every gun firing at our side About the English losses (several of his ships had suffered such damage, that they had to be towed according to their own specifications, as with us not a single, even the "Seydlitz") will only gradually come to light. Some lies have already been corrected. Twice we have solved our task Yarmouth and Hartlepool), the third time we were distracted from our task, and the success had to be sought in other direction. The fourth and fifth time it will work again, and if not, then the next time. But we will always be the attackers.
German Battlecruisers at the Sea Battle of Doggerbank.jpg
German Battlecruisers at the Sea Battle of Doggerbank

Edward L. Hsiao

Post by Edward L. Hsiao » 19 Dec 2016, 01:15

Gentlemen,

Thank you so much for the translated stories of these German sailors who served aboard the German torpedo boats and destroyers of WWI. I enjoyed reading them.

Sincerely,

Edward L. Hsiao

Return to “First World War”