Axis History Forum

This is an apolitical forum for discussions on the Axis nations and related topics hosted by Marcus Wendel's Axis History Factbook in cooperation with Michael Miller's Axis Biographical Research, Christoph Awender's WW2 day by dayand Christian Ankerstjerne’s Panzerworld.

Skip to content

If you found the forum useful please consider supporting us. You can also support us by buying books through the AHF Bookstore.

Denmark in the Great War

Discussions on all aspects of the First World War not covered in the other sections.
Hosted by Terry Duncan.

Denmark in the Great War

Postby emir pasha on 29 Jan 2008 22:16

Greetings !

Denmark was neutral during the great war but she guaranteed that neutrality ,despite her critical geographical position for both combattants, largely thanks to the preparation of her navy and army. I'm currently researching a bit about the neutral countries during World War I but I could find not much information about Denmark. I'm specially looking for the degree of mobilisation and the commanding officers of the army. I'd be happy if you can help me a little.

Best Wishes
emir pasha
Turkey

Postby bakof on 30 Jan 2008 14:22

bakof
Denmark

Postby tjohn on 31 Jan 2008 02:15

I suspect that if either the Allies or Germany saw a sure path to victory by conquering Denmark, it would have happened. For Germany, it had to have been advantageous to have Denmark as a neutral neighbor. For the Allies, control of Denmark would have given them access to the Baltic and that would have been very helpful.

Although, I must say that an Allied attack on Denmark would not have played well at all in the United States and the British were not unaware of the importance of public relations. So, while I don't question Denmark's general readiness and resolve, she was not a Great Power and could not have held of a Great Power determined to win.
tjohn
United States

If either the Allies or Germany saw a sure path to victory

Postby Dave Bender on 31 Jan 2008 13:57

I agree. Sometimes remaining neutral is just a matter of luck.

If Britain and/or France had attempted to seize northern Norway in WWI, as they did historically in early 1940, then you would get a similiar German response. Jutland would be occupied by the German army out of military necessity, as happened during 1940.
Dave Bender
United States

Re: Denmark in the Great War

Postby Inquisitr861 on 23 Feb 2010 21:56

In WW1 the only countries that managed to remain neutral were those which managed to convince both sides that they were more useful to them neutral. Both Holland and Sweden both wound up on the brink of war with Britain and France, especially after the americans joined the war.
Inquisitr861
United Kingdom

Return to First World War