Axis History Forum

This is an apolitical forum for discussions on the Axis nations and related topics hosted by Marcus Wendel's Axis History Factbook in cooperation with Michael Miller's Axis Biographical Research, Christoph Awender's WW2 day by dayand Christian Ankerstjerne’s Panzerworld.

Skip to content

If you found the forum useful please consider supporting us. You can also support us by buying books through the AHF Bookstore.

AJP Taylor - How Wars Begin

Discussions on all aspects of the First World War not covered in the other sections.
Hosted by Terry Duncan.

AJP Taylor - How Wars Begin

Postby Terry Duncan on 07 May 2013 02:40

I found this talk from AJP Taylor giving his thoughts on how WWI came about - the 'Railway Timetable' theory - which is worth listening to. It is slightly dated now (1991) but still worth listening to, and an interesting delivery as it is all from memory.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&featu ... SISjdVwmaI
Terry Duncan
Forum Staff
United Kingdom

Re: AJP Taylor - How Wars Begin

Postby Attrition on 09 May 2013 10:35

I bet his shade is still chortling at Trevor-Roper's discomfiture over the Hitler Diaries debacle. ;O)

Taylor did a lot to cheer me up in the dark days of the 1970s but I don't find his views on the Great War as impressive as I did then.
Attrition
United Kingdom

Re: AJP Taylor - How Wars Begin

Postby Prit on 09 May 2013 20:46

Taylor was a strong supporter of nuclear disarmament. He formulated his views about 'war by timetable' at the height of the Cold War, and the railway timetable theory needs to be viewed in the context of this. He saw the outbreak of the Great War, driven by inflexible hard-wired 'military reflexes', as a moral tale for his generation.

Nevertheless, interesting theory.

Prit
Prit
United Kingdom

Return to First World War