Balloons in 1914

Discussions on all aspects of the First World War not covered in the other sections. Hosted by Terry Duncan.
woneil

Balloons in 1914

Post by woneil » 11 Apr 2014, 18:49

In 1914 the Prussians had the best observation balloon service in Europe. Clearly, balloons were not going to be of much service in a campaign where the front moved 15 miles per day, but it would seem that they might be valuable in sieges and I wonder whether there is any information regarding their use in the sieges of Liège or Namur — or elsewhere in Aug-Sep 1914.

Will O'Neil

The Plan That Broke the World: The “Schlieffen Plan” and World War I http://whatweretheythinking.williamdone ... etheworld/
Attachments
Front-sm.jpg
Front-sm.jpg (30.93 KiB) Viewed 263 times

Latze

Re: Balloons in 1914

Post by Latze » 12 Apr 2014, 15:22

Will,

Georg Paul Neumann's "Die Deutschen Luftstreitkräfte im Weltkriege", Berlin 1920 (available at archive.org I think) states that some of the Festungsluftschiffertrupps (fortress ballon squadrons, originally intended for static use but then supplied with vehicles and horses) took part in the siege of Antwerp. Obviously they were not very good at whatever they were doing and acted as magnets for enemy artillery so nobody was keen on having them around (page 8).

Max Schwarte "Weltkampf um Ehre und Recht" (available online from some guys whose political views I do not agree with - so no link) states that the ballons were used in the taking of the small forts between Verdun and Toul. (Vol. 4, chapter 4, sorry no page number).

Maybe this gets you started...

regards
Matt
Matt

Return to “First World War”