Cavalry Regiment Bridge Wagons

Discussions on all aspects of the First World War not covered in the other sections. Hosted by Terry Duncan.
john_g_kearney

Cavalry Regiment Bridge Wagons

Post by john_g_kearney » 09 May 2015, 10:04

I understand that a cavalry regiment was issued with two bridge wagons, presumably driven by members of the Train (as were bridge wagons attached to infantry divisions.) My question is, please, who erected the bridges? Were there Pioniers attached to the cavalry regiment too? Or were the bridges erected by the Pioniers attached at divisional level?

John.

jluetjen

Re: Cavalry Regiment Bridge Wagons

Post by jluetjen » 09 May 2015, 23:25

According to the "German Army Handbook of 1918", Cavalry Divisions included a "Cavalry Pioneer Detachment" of 1 officer and 33 other ranks. Apparently for bridging equipment cavalry regiments were equipped with 4 half-boats of galvanized steel, together with the necessary transoms, chesses and other stores. The half-boats were 11' 3.5" long, 5' 2" broad and weight about 2.5 cwt. The would be lashed together stern to stern, thus forming a complete boat, which can carry 8-10 men with equipment. The bridging material is carried in two 6-horsed cavalry bridge wagons.

The material is sufficient to construct about 21 yards of footbridge (Brueckensteg) or 13 yards of light bridge (Laufbruecke), or about 8.5 yards of bridge suitable to take field guns (verstaerkte Laufbruecke). This material can also be formed into a raft capable of transporting 30 infantry men with their equipment, or 4 horses and horse-holder, or one field gun and limber.

jluetjen

Post by jluetjen » 09 May 2015, 23:43

Cavalry Crossing River.jpg
I believe that the caption says (somewhat tongue in cheek) "Cavalry crossing over with 6 horse-power"

john_g_kearney

Post by john_g_kearney » 12 May 2015, 11:29

Thanks for that. The photograph is particularly interesting as it shows the boat manned by a cavalry crew, not men of the Cavalry Pioneer Detachment. The six horses are in the water and their riders are keeping their feet dry in the boat. It looks as though the horses are providing the motive power, with the men at bow and stern steering with their oars. The first word of the caption, by the way, is 'Havelübergang', ie crossing the River Havel with 6 horsepower.

John.

jluetjen

Post by jluetjen » 13 May 2015, 00:20

Ah... -- I misread the "H" as a "K". I'm pretty sure that the picture was taken on maneuvers as opposed to during war-time, which the location would support. (Not to mention the pleasure boaters in the background). You pose an interesting question -- would the pioneers attached to a cavalry regiment be considered cavalry (and thus wear the cavalry uniform) or pioneers (and thus wear the pioneer uniform)? Considering that I've got the album for both, maybe I'll see what I can find.

Return to “First World War”