Does anyone recognize what book these photos are from?

Discussions on all aspects of the First World War not covered in the other sections. Hosted by Terry Duncan.

Ken S.

Re: Does anyone recognize what book these photos are from?

Post by Ken S. » 23 Jun 2015, 01:23

I'm fairly certain these are not from a published book. Note too that the seller is also only offering a reproduction of the photo only.

Felix C

Post by Felix C » 23 Jun 2015, 02:09

Yep. I would love to be able to use them.

Terry Duncan
Forum Staff

Post by Terry Duncan » 23 Jun 2015, 16:39

You could try asking Polar bear about this, he may know of a work dealing with the war histories of German light craft or even recognise the pictures? He is very good on the history of the German navy so worth a PM. My thought would possibly being a book dealing with Operation Albion where several ships were sunk by mines, and it is quite possible B 98 took part, though I am not sure how well covered this has been in German literature, but other than a couple of new books there has not been too much in English which is a shame.

Orwell1984

Post by Orwell1984 » 23 Jun 2015, 17:56

From page 208 of Michael Barrett's Operation Albion: The German Conquest of the Baltic Islands:
On the 15th [of October 1917], the Germans observed Russian vessels in the Moon Sound, but none emerged into Kassar Inlet. The Russians did use their cruisers and capital ships anchored in Moon Sound to fire over Moon Island and into the Small Sound. Both sides played cat and mouse. When the Germans approached close to Moon Island, the Russians would open fire and the Germans would retreat until the Russians stopped. The Germans would then move toward Moon, rekindling the cycle. When the weather cleared a bit, around noon, Heinrich moved his ships into the Kassar Inlet, trying to draw the Russian fire from the Small Sound. In the same area where the Grom had sunk, he observed a mine,and as he ordered his minesweepers to determine whether it was floating or anchored, a huge detonation tore off the bow of Lieutenant Heinecke's boat, B98. Amazingly the ship remained afloat and eventually returned to Tagga Bay under its own power. The Germans swept the area and found no more mines. Heinrich radioed Admiral Schmidt, saying he was puzzled. His vessels had passed safely through the same area the day before. and the captured enemy maps showed the area to be free of mines, so he did not think the mine that blew up B98 was laid during the night of 14-15 October. The B98 was damaged close to the black objects Heinrich saw the day before during the attack on the Grom. In all likelihood, the Pripyat left those mines when it returned the night of the 14th to mine the Soela Sound. None of the Germans knew about the Pripyat. In any event, the shallow water directed the force of the explosion upward, inflicting heavy losses on B98. Fifteen sailors were killed and five wounded.

Felix C

Post by Felix C » 24 Jun 2015, 00:17

Yep. From reading the captions in the Ebay advert it is regarding the 1917 Moon Sound operation for B98. The other which shows battle damage to a TB is not identified as to the action.

Ken S.

Post by Ken S. » 24 Jun 2015, 01:45

*correction
Ken S. wrote:I'm fairly certain these are not from a published book. Note too that the seller is also only offering a reproduction of the photo.
Here is the same photo as the first link:
http://www.dhm.de/datenbank/dhm.php?sei ... 0=PK940177
"Originaltitel: Torpedoboot V.100. von russ. Zerstörer torpediert./Boot sucht die Überlebenden, die noch im Vorschiff sind, zu retten."

Return to “First World War”