Obscure French firearm used by Venustiano Carranza?

Discussions on all aspects of the First World War not covered in the other sections. Hosted by Terry Duncan.
Mike Blake

Obscure French firearm used by Venustiano Carranza?

Post by Mike Blake » 08 Aug 2015, 18:58

Bit of a long shot here risking it being rule OT but I'm seeking help with a French firearm reported as being used by Venustiano Carranza First Chief of the Ejército Constitutionalista, during the Mexican Revolution.

The gun is said to be an 'E Turviax automatic, French manufactured, 10 round magazine'.

The source for this is Langle Ramirez, Arturo. El Ejercito Villista. Mexico: Instituto Nacional De Antropologia E Historia, 1961, pp 155-160, who used data from the Museum of National Defence, Lomas de Sotelo, [Mexico] DF.

I cannot find any such make of gun or even something similar - can anyone help please?

Thanks

Loïc

Re: Obscure French firearm used by Venustiano Carranza?

Post by Loïc » 08 Aug 2015, 20:14

hola

the spanish-speaking people have some problem to write "b" and "v" because both are very similar to pronounce in spanish, so with a foreign name...

here a sentence I have found
Sistema "E. Turviaux", de fabricación francesa, automático, de diez disparos, usado por el Primer Jefe del Ejército Constitucionalista, señor Venustiano Carranza

so it is not "Turviax" or "Turviaux" but Turbiaux you can find it easily

something like that, a kind of pocket-gun

Regards
Loïc

Mike Blake

Re: Obscure French firearm used by Venustiano Carranza?

Post by Mike Blake » 09 Aug 2015, 12:47

Loic

Excellent! many thanks for this, the mystery is solved - I really did not expect it to be so quick.

Regards

Mike

Return to “First World War”