Help Identifying WWI Military Term

Discussions on all aspects of the First World War not covered in the other sections. Hosted by Terry Duncan.
RonLey

Help Identifying WWI Military Term

Post by RonLey » 10 Nov 2015, 02:18

I had an Uncle drafted in the US Army during WWI. The family doesn't know much about his service. He died in 1927 and his obituary says that "He was an ex-soldier of the late War; in fact, his ill health dating from his service as a soldier."

He was discharge on Dec 18, 1918. I have his final pay voucher and it shows organization as Company "D" O.A.R.D. Camp Pike in Arkansas. His draft registration was in Oklahoma on June 5, 1917. It would appear that he never went overseas with such an early discharge. One thought I had was it was the Oklahoma Arkansas Reserve Division but I can find anything to substantiate this idea.

I have been trying to find what O.A.R.D. stands for. Could someone please tell me what this abbreviation stands for?

Thanks

Ron

Orwell1984

Re: Help Identifying WWI Military Term

Post by Orwell1984 » 11 Nov 2015, 18:49

If you go to the abbreviations section of this ebook on Racine County, Wisconsin in WW1
http://www.ebooksread.com/authors-eng/w ... -gia.shtml
you find the following:
O A R D Overseas Automatic Replacement Draft
Hope this helps

RonLey

Re: Help Identifying WWI Military Term

Post by RonLey » 12 Nov 2015, 00:58

Orwell
Thank you very much. Google let me down as I had tried to search every way I could find.

Thanks again

Return to “First World War”