A Mar. 1918 article about the possibility of a German annexation of the Baltic states

Discussions on all aspects of the First World War not covered in the other sections. Hosted by Terry Duncan.
Futurist

A Mar. 1918 article about the possibility of a German annexation of the Baltic states

Post by Futurist » 24 Dec 2015, 01:09

Take a look at page 21 of this book to see and read this specific March 2, 1918 article :):

https://books.google.com/books?id=bKo5A ... 22&f=false

Basically, this article is extremely interesting due to the fact that it talks about how Russia's Brest-Litovsk borders are allegedly so intolerable for Russia whereas Russia currently appears to be dealing pretty well with borders which are even worse than Russia's Brest-Litovsk borders were. Thus, this article certainly shows just how much attitudes and views changed about this topic over the last 97 years! :)

Anyway, any thoughts on this article? :)

Futurist

Re: A Mar. 1918 article about the possibility of a German annexation of the Baltic states

Post by Futurist » 01 Jan 2016, 04:21

@Michael Mills: Frankly, I think that you are going to be especially interested in this article. :)

michael mills

Re: A Mar. 1918 article about the possibility of a German annexation of the Baltic states

Post by michael mills » 12 Jan 2016, 06:10

I could not read the article since page 21 was not shown in full. Here in Australia what is shown on Google Books is very limited owing to the highly restrictive copyright laws in place here. It is so frustrating!

Futurist

Post by Futurist » 15 Jan 2016, 06:39

michael mills wrote:I could not read the article since page 21 was not shown in full. Here in Australia what is shown on Google Books is very limited owing to the highly restrictive copyright laws in place here. It is so frustrating!
If so, then can you successfully read this entire article here, Michael? :

https://www.unz.org/Pub/LiteraryDigest-1918mar02-00021

Indeed, I certainly hope that the UNZ Review isn't blocked in Australia as well!

michael mills

Post by michael mills » 19 Jan 2016, 02:28

I was able to access and read the article in the UNZ Review. Basically it is saying that if Germany annexed the Baltic States, that would create a source of conflict with a future revived Russia that would try to recover those lost provinces (as well as Ukraine).

History has shown us that Russia did try to recover its lost territory on the Baltic and Black Seas, an d did succeed for a time. However, contrary to the prediction in the article, the collapse of Communist rule led to a second loss of the Baltic States and Ukraine, and even though a reviving Russia would obviously like to reconquer those territories, the West is strongly opposing such reconquest, and is in fact upholding the loss of territory that Russia suffered in 1918.

The article appears to take the view that once the Bolshevik regime in Russia was overthrown, the wartime alliance between Russia and the West would be revived. However, what has happened in our own time is that the 19th Century hostility between Russia and Britain, which resulted in the Crimean and Russo-Japanese wars, has been resurrected despite the collapse of Communist rule, with Britain being replaced by the United States as the opponent of Russia.

Futurist

Post by Futurist » 06 Mar 2016, 08:23

michael mills wrote:I was able to access and read the article in the UNZ Review. Basically it is saying that if Germany annexed the Baltic States, that would create a source of conflict with a future revived Russia that would try to recover those lost provinces (as well as Ukraine).
Yes; correct!
History has shown us that Russia did try to recover its lost territory on the Baltic and Black Seas, an d did succeed for a time. However, contrary to the prediction in the article, the collapse of Communist rule led to a second loss of the Baltic States and Ukraine, and even though a reviving Russia would obviously like to reconquer those territories, the West is strongly opposing such reconquest, and is in fact upholding the loss of territory that Russia suffered in 1918.
Does Russia genuinely want to incorporate millions or even tens of millions of people who are extremely hostile to renewed Russian rule into Russia, though?
The article appears to take the view that once the Bolshevik regime in Russia was overthrown, the wartime alliance between Russia and the West would be revived. However, what has happened in our own time is that the 19th Century hostility between Russia and Britain, which resulted in the Crimean and Russo-Japanese wars, has been resurrected despite the collapse of Communist rule, with Britain being replaced by the United States as the opponent of Russia.
Yes; correct! Indeed, what you wrote here certainly makes sense, Michael! After all, with the destruction of German military power in Europe as a result of the two World Wars, the West has once again become hostile to Russia's attempts to increase its own power and influence and to threaten and weaken the balance-of-power in Europe.

Futurist

Post by Futurist » 06 Mar 2016, 08:25

Also, I certainly find it extremely interesting that this article doesn't condemn both Germany's and Russia's designs on the Baltic states (and Ukraine). After all, wasn't the concept of national self-determination already becoming very popular in the U.S. and in the West back in March 1918?

Futurist

Post by Futurist » 06 Mar 2016, 09:37

Indeed, the writers of this article certainly weren't the only ones who considered Russia's 1918 borders to be atrocious and horrible for Russia:

https://books.google.com/books?id=XUg9A ... ea&f=false

https://books.google.com/books?id=DPj_A ... ea&f=false

My, oh my, how times have changed since 1918! :)

Return to “First World War”