WWI postcard 50th ? division

Discussions on all aspects of the First World War not covered in the other sections. Hosted by Terry Duncan.
annledoux

WWI postcard 50th ? division

Post by annledoux » 27 Jan 2016, 23:13

Hello,
My German Great-grandfather Peter Gernsheimer sent this WWI photo postcard to his daughter and her husband. On the back is a short note. The following is the best translation I have been able to obtain. There are a couple of words we can not figure out. . I am assuming (maybe wrongly) that this is the 50th division. Sadly I do not know which of the men he is. I know that he was 55 y/o and married at the time he wrote it. Can anyone identify what this photo might be about. I read that this division was formed in 1915 the same year that this was written and sent. The uniforms sure look all new. Can anyone direct me toward a roster of this unit and a synopsis on what this division might have done. Are there other photos of this division out here somewhere that I might search. Peter Gernsheimer (1860-1935) lived in Worms his entire life. Total novice here on military history. Any help is appreciated
Postcard translation:

To Philipp Kramer
Worms Neuhausen
Kirchgasse

Sibret 6/14/1915
Dear Philipp and Kathe, I send you this picture of me. I let it make in …. but it is not so nice as in Worms.
Dear Philipp and Kathe I wish you are in good health and I hope to see you soon.

Hearty greetings from your father..
Attachments
petergernsheimer small.jpg
backofmilitary small2.jpg

littlewilly

Re: WWI postcard 50th ? division

Post by littlewilly » 21 Apr 2016, 05:04

Hello!

The men in this photo postcard are Landsturm men from the 50th Landsturm Brigade, as indicated by the metal collar insignia. In 1914 the Landsturm was organized into brigades, which were later reorganized into battalions attached to Armeekorps. After the reorganization (1916?), the collar numbers would indicate the battalion and the Armeekorps would be noted by Roman numerals (i.e., 4 XIV would represent the 4th Landsturm Battalion from Karlsruhe, 14th Armeekorps from the state of Baden). The men are wearing Hessian belt buckles. They all wear the M1907/10 tunic which is proper for the June 1915 date of the correspondence. Their tunics have shoulder straps, but they would not have any unit designations on them (occasionally the Armeekorps numerals would be pinned on), whereas the regular German units would wear shoulder straps that indicated what type of unit they were. Their feldmutze all have a light colored landeskokard which is the white with red ring worn by Hessian troops. The men also appear to be in their 40's or early 50's, which would also be proper for the Landsturm. Most Landsturm units served on the Eastern Front, performing guard duty and other rear area duties, although they could and did act as combat troops when required. Hope some of this is of use to you. MHJ

annledoux

Post by annledoux » 22 Apr 2016, 05:40

Thank you very much for taking the time to respond. Yours is the best explanation I have seen. Kindest regards, Ann

littlewilly

Post by littlewilly » 25 Apr 2016, 05:07

Hello Ann:

Your Great Grandfather most certainly served in the Landsturm Infanterie Battalion Worms, which was one of the battalions of the 50th Landsturm Brigade. I may have a bit more info on this brigade for you, but I will have to dig through piles of notes and other material to find the book I need. After the reorganization, there were 3 battalions from Worms organized for the XVIII Armeekorps (the 18th, 39th and 43rd). You mentioned that he was 55 when he wrote the message on the postcard. I would say that the gentleman seated in the middle of the first row is the most likely candidate, judging by his much grayer mustache and hair. He was past the upper age limit for service in the Landsturm prior to the war, but during mobilization many older men were taken simply because they had been trained already and would not need much more to bring them up to a point where they could be of use. Much of the Landsturm was armed with the Commission 88 Mauser rifle, though some had even older rifles like the M1871 Mauser or were armed with captured Russian M1891 rifles. Of interest in the photo are the two marksman shooting awards worn by the two men standing on the left side, and the Prussian belt buckle worn by the man standing second from the right (probably not enough Hessian buckles to outfit everybody at mobilization. Not uncommon to see all kinds of items issued from surplus stores from other states to get the Landsturm units ready for the field). The marksman cords were worn proudly by the Landsturm for a longer period of time than by the rest of the Army, which pretty much put them away after fighting started, as they would easily be lost while crawling on the ground or forcing a way through underbrush. Guarding bridges or POW's posed no threat to wearing such items of uniform add-ons for the Landsturm. I will let you know if I find anything else that may be of interest to you. MHJ

annledoux

Post by annledoux » 25 Apr 2016, 21:44

Thank you again. I would greatly appreciate any information you can find. I noticed too the different belt buckle of the one gentleman. I do not think you can tell from the photo on the website, but he also has a different design on his hat button, he is the only one that has a cross on his button. There are actually 4 different hat buttons. among the men. Would be glad to send a better resolution photo to you if you would like it. I think it was probably like you said, that they were outfitted with whatever was available. With my grandfather being 55, were there other wars/battles that he may have served in in his lifetime before WWI? Curiosity killed the cat you know. And you are so knowledgeable about the German military, but I see you are from Illinois. May I ask are you a professor or is the history something you have studied on your own? I am very appreciative of your time and expertise. I also believe the middle front man is my grandfather, though I have yet to prove it. Beside appearing to be the oldest, he is also the man that looks the most like his two sons that I have known photos of. Regards Ann

littlewilly

Post by littlewilly » 26 Apr 2016, 16:56

Hi Ann:

The cross on the cap kokard is a gilt cross used to indicate Landsturm troops. A silver cross was used for Reserve and Landwehr troops. Regulations required all Landsturm troops to wear the cross on their kokarden, but like the belt buckles, they were issued what was available at the time. The men are all wearing the Hessian cap kokard. The angle at which you see them makes a few of them look a little different. Your Great Grandfather would have been too young to have served during the Franco-Prussian War of 1870. Other than small actions in the colonies there were no other wars that the German Army engaged in. At 55, your Great Grandfather was ten years older than the cut-off age of 45 for service in the Landsturm at the start of the WWI. He would have been called up for service at the age of 20 for a mandatory 2 years of service on active duty if in good health. Those men not called to duty would have been put into the Landsturm and an untrained reserve until the age of 39. Men who did serve were put into the Landsturm until the age of 45 as a trained reserve in case of war. Your Great Grandfather was most likely a volunteer at the start of the war. His prior service got him into the Landsturm in spite of his age. The 1914-1915 period was a very patriotic time for Germany. Ex-service men of your Great Grandfather's age considered it their duty to serve their country if still physically able. Germany found it necessary to draft men of this age later in the war (1916-1918) to help fill the ranks after the mass casualties suffered at the front. Germany's oldest volunteer in 1914 was an American, Caspar Rene Gregory, who was 67 when he enlisted. He was killed in an artillery barrage in France in 1917 at the age of 70. I have been interested in WWI since I was 8 years old. I served with Army Intelligence in Vietnam and Germany (1968-1971) and while in Germany I began to study the German Army of WWI in some detail. I do historical presentations on WWI for local schools and organizations, using a lifetime collection of artifacts to give a better perspective on the war than what kids can get just looking at pictures in a book. Getting harder to do as I get older, but I love to see the reaction of the kids to a lot of what I present to them. They do seem to enjoy the stuff. Best wishes, MHJ

annledoux

Post by annledoux » 28 Apr 2016, 22:25

Thank you again for your help. I have some very small medals from my grandfather (the son of the above man) from ww1 I would like you to see, but need to take photo. Story was that he was injured twice in the first war.

Return to “First World War”