Did the Stab-in-the-Back Myth (in Relation to Germany's WWI Defeat) Significantly Lose Popularity After the End of WWII?

Discussions on all aspects of the First World War not covered in the other sections. Hosted by Terry Duncan.
Futurist

Did the Stab-in-the-Back Myth (in Relation to Germany's WWI Defeat) Significantly Lose Popularity After the End of WWII?

Post by Futurist » 18 Apr 2016, 08:12

Did the Stab-in-the-Back Myth (in relation to Germany's defeat in World War I) significantly lose popularity after the end of World War II?

Any thoughts and/or data in regards to this?

Indeed, I would think that this would indeed be the case considering that Germany's defeat in World War II confirmed that a World War which was beginning to decisively go against Germany will very likely result in Germany's total defeat a couple of years later.

South

Re: Did the Stab-in-the-Back Myth (in Relation to Germany's WWI Defeat) Significantly Lose Popularity After the End of W

Post by South » 18 Apr 2016, 13:25

Good morning Futurist,

Do define "myth" so we can thoughtfully discuss.

I'll start now accepting that my rambling is not "thoughtfully".

General Erich von Lundeorff's book "The 'Total' War" was written and had a following.

A tangent to his book; See "The Decline of the West" by Oswald Spengler.

Note that after WWII, there was more than 1 Germany; First the occupation zones and a divided Berlin (as distinct from the German area zones). Later, other politico-geographic "arrangements".

Warm regards,

Bob

Terry Duncan
Forum Staff

Re: Did the Stab-in-the-Back Myth (in Relation to Germany's WWI Defeat) Significantly Lose Popularity After the End of W

Post by Terry Duncan » 18 Apr 2016, 15:07

Futurist wrote:Did the Stab-in-the-Back Myth (in relation to Germany's defeat in World War I) significantly lose popularity after the end of World War II?

Indeed, I would think that this would indeed be the case considering that Germany's defeat in World War II confirmed that a World War which was beginning to decisively go against Germany will very likely result in Germany's total defeat a couple of years later.
A lot changed after the end of WWII as the German archives were opened to everyone, and a lot of previously hidden and denied documents came to light, covering the entire war. People got a far better idea of real events, as the old GGS personel were no longer able to protect reputations. There was also far less interest in WWI, as what had happened in WWII was far more important and recent. Some still believe in the 'Stab In The Back' idea, though they mostly do so for idealogical reasons rather than facts.

Futurist

Post by Futurist » 30 Apr 2016, 20:35

Terry Duncan wrote:
Futurist wrote:Did the Stab-in-the-Back Myth (in relation to Germany's defeat in World War I) significantly lose popularity after the end of World War II?

A lot changed after the end of WWII as the German archives were opened to everyone, and a lot of previously hidden and denied documents came to light, covering the entire war. People got a far better idea of real events, as the old GGS personel were no longer able to protect reputations. There was also far less interest in WWI, as what had happened in WWII was far more important and recent.
OK.
Some still believe in the 'Stab In The Back' idea, though they mostly do so for idealogical reasons rather than facts.
Can you please provide some examples of this?

Terry Duncan
Forum Staff

Post by Terry Duncan » 06 May 2016, 16:27

Futurist wrote:
Some still believe in the 'Stab In The Back' idea, though they mostly do so for idealogical reasons rather than facts.
Can you please provide some examples of this?
For what will become obvious reasons, I am not too keen on giving the majority of such people free publicity here, as many are neo-Nazis or anti-Semites, but the CODOH forum used to have quite a few posts on the subject, though they seem to have cleaned out a lot of older threads now, but asking a question or two there will be enlightening to say the least, provided you are allowed to ask it - the main moderator Johnny Hargis, (Moderator 4 iirc), who also posts as 'Hannover' but was too stupid to log out of his account a long time ago, revealing his dual role to people when banning someone for disagreeing with his 'Hannover' identity, vets all posts before they appear and will ban people who fail to agree with the point of view of most posters there, especially his own. He will demand you provide proof even for asking a question, though any supposed atrocity by Russia is accepted instantly, as indeed are most claims against western powers too.

The link here is to a question about the Armenian Genocide, a subject fairly well documented even if it is disputed still, with much of it falling into the category of common knowledge;

https://forum.codoh.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=9808

However, this is how the same 'Hannover' responds to claims France intended to attack Germany through Belgium,

https://forum.codoh.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=9846

Note, not even a single document or source cited, but accepted verbatim without further question.

By contrast, here is a link to a thread about the 'Stab in the Back', which goes without any response;

https://forum.codoh.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=9651

It isnt known in academia as ''The Cesspit of the Internet' for nothing.

Attrition

Post by Attrition » 09 May 2016, 13:48

If a site is as compromised as that, why refer to it?

Terry Duncan
Forum Staff

Post by Terry Duncan » 09 May 2016, 15:07

It is one of the places the 'Stab in the Back' myth is supported, though they seem to have removed many old posts. There are other sites, even worse though, but one is enough to show such views are still held - if anyone really wants to look they should try a quick search, there are quite a few sites based in the US. Several well versed people have visited the site in the past, Dr Nick Terry of Exeter Uni, and a couple of others who have also contributed to the H&WC board here most notably, to point out facts to the CODOH members, only to see various absurd demands made in order to silence any attempt to discuss reality. I would not have bothered if I had not been specifically asked, and I dont know of any sensible sites who do support the 'Stab in the Back' myth.

Attrition

Post by Attrition » 09 May 2016, 15:25

~~~~~ I dont know of any sensible sites who do support the 'Stab in the Back' myth~~~~~

I hadn't thought of that. ;O))

http://www.imdb.com/board/bd0000007/nes ... #257006530

Quel coincidence.

Return to “First World War”