Anzac Day

Discussions on all aspects of the First World War not covered in the other sections. Hosted by Terry Duncan.
Pips

Anzac Day

Post by Pips » 28 Apr 2016, 02:24

Here in Oz we have just celebrated Anzac Day, which commemorates the landings at Gallipoli on the 25th April, 1915. And which over the years has come to incorporate a national recognition for all ex and current servicemen and women from all conflicts.

It's a very special day in the Australian and New Zealand culture.

But until this year, I have to say that I have never, really, felt awed or overcome by it. I should mention I'm not an ex-serviceman, just a quietly proud Australian.

Over the years I've attended many Dawn Services and Anzac Day marches in Sydney (where I grew up), Canberra (where I lived for 15 years) and even at Gallipoli - when I was working near Bodrum in Turkey back in the '80's. All in their own way are impressive, but I've always felt something lacking.
Yes, even at Gallipoli.

There's pomp and circumstance, marching, , solemn pauses, tears, pride and music. It's well televised, but something of a show.

But this year was different. A year ago I moved to a beautiful part of the NSW far south coast, the Eurobodalla. It's main town is Batemans Bay, of approximately 20,000 people. It's regional 'council' (political) centre is Moruya, slightly inland, mostly farming and tourism with a population of 8,000. It was here I attended both Dawn and Day marches.

And it was here for the first time I really felt imbued of the Anzac spirit. It was solemn, emotional, raw and poignant. There were perhaps a few hundred people attending the Dawn Service, maybe a thousand lining the March. But it felt like the 'old' spirit of Australia, where it was mostly the country folk who first rushed to the colours when the call went out. Small country communities that were devastated by the appalling losses suffered by such a small country with a big heart.

I wish I had the words (and ability) to convey the intense feelings generated by such a humble yet potent day.

If you are an Australian I urge you next year to travel to a small town, away from any big city, to celebrate Anzac Day. There, you will know what it is to be Anzac.

Return to “First World War”