Somme Reports

Discussions on all aspects of the First World War not covered in the other sections. Hosted by Terry Duncan.
KathyQ

Somme Reports

Post by KathyQ » 20 Jun 2016, 18:19

Hi, I just started a new blog called "The Somme Reports". I am transcribing and translating into English the main newspaper articles in July 1916 from the original German newspapers in our archives. I plan to do it for the whole of July 1916. I'm also publishing some of the photos to which we have access.
There is a whole lot of pretty detailed military information contained here.
The blog also contains a tab with a fictitious radio station called "Radio La Boisselle", which is intended to be a German radio station bringing interviews from the front. Although the radio station is fictitious, the interviews I've written are all based on contemporary German newspaper articles as well.
I hope this might be of interest:
http://thesommereports.blogspot.de/

jluetjen

Re: Somme Reports

Post by jluetjen » 21 Jun 2016, 00:36

Interesting idea. I like it! I look forward to reading through it. The only thought that I had is that the battle continued through September.

KathyQ

Post by KathyQ » 23 Jun 2016, 16:11

jluetjen wrote:Interesting idea. I like it! I look forward to reading through it. The only thought that I had is that the battle continued through September.
Yes, that's correct. But the research in the archives, combined with the translation of each newspaper article into English and the writing of an additional "radio" interview is a full-time job. As I also work, I had to decide how much of my free time I'd be able to dedicate to this project, and so far I don't think I'll be able to do more than 30 days.

jluetjen

Post by jluetjen » 24 Jun 2016, 01:27

Good reason!

Return to “First World War”