Anything close to the bookset "Germany & The Second World War" for WW1

Discussions on all aspects of the First World War not covered in the other sections. Hosted by Terry Duncan.
militaryhistoryvisualized

Anything close to the bookset "Germany & The Second World War" for WW1

Post by militaryhistoryvisualized » 06 Nov 2016, 11:21

Hi,
I am a "fan" of the series "Germany and the Second World War" (Das Deutsche Reich und der 2. Weltrkrieg), because it is highly analytical, extremely well structured, captures the main developments and also full with detail. It covers military operations, economics, etc.

Does anyone know a publication that is similar and for WW1 (or any other conflict/area like the Pacific for WW2)?

thx in advance
MHV

Re: Anything close to the bookset "Germany & The Second World War" for WW1

Post by militaryhistoryvisualized » 20 Nov 2016, 17:02

bump

meanwhile I got Cambridge History of the First World War (2014) although in certain aspects excellent, it is a bit on the short side in terms of military history (sometimes).

Attrition

Post by Attrition » 28 Nov 2016, 20:09

http://digi.landesbibliothek.at/viewer/ ... 1858814/1/

You could try ''Der Weltkrieg'' the GOH 1914-1918.

jwsleser

Post by jwsleser » 29 Nov 2016, 04:14

MHV

I am reading several different questions in your post.
Does anyone know a publication that is similar
Das Deutsche Reich und der 2. Weltrkrieg is the 'unofficial' official history of Germany in WW2. It reflects a very high standard of scholarship that benefits by the passage of time after the event. It is also a 'combined' history of the war addressing the multiple facets of national power. The only other works that are similar are the UK (History of the Second World War) and American official histories (the Green Books). These series address all aspects of the war in significantly more volumes, but these volumes are not as well integrated together as Zweites Weltkrieg.
and for WW1

None of the WW1 histories address the war in the same way as Zweites Weltkrieg. These histories follow the traditional approach of wartime histories by addressing each branch of service (military, naval, and air) and rarely touch on economic and social issues. For example, Germany has Der Weltkrieg 1914-1918 and Der Krieg zur See 1914-1918. The WW1 Luffwaffe was cover in various chapters of Der Weltkrieg.
or any other conflict/area like the Pacific for WW2
I recommend finding a copy of Robin Higham's Official Histories (Kansas State University 1970) and his Official Military Offices and Sources (Greenwood Press 2000, 2 volumes). These books list all the official histories and give you an idea what is available. The Pacific is addressed in the Australian, New Zealand, Dutch, and US histories. The Japanese published a 102 volume history, but little of it has been translated.

Pista! Jeff
Jeff Leser

Infantrymen of the Air

Attrition

Post by Attrition » 29 Nov 2016, 12:02

Wells, N. J. (2011). Official Histories of the Great War 1914–1918. Uckfield: Naval & Military Press. ISBN 978-1-84574-906-4.

Might be easier (and a bit cheaper) to get hold of, it came in hand for History of the Great War ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_the_Great_War )

Post by militaryhistoryvisualized » 02 Dec 2016, 02:10

jwsleser wrote: Das Deutsche Reich und der 2. Weltrkrieg is the 'unofficial' official history of Germany in WW2. It reflects a very high standard of scholarship that benefits by the passage of time after the event. It is also a 'combined' history of the war addressing the multiple facets of national power.
exactly, with similar I mean exactly that: 1) enough distance in time, 2) compact but not condensed and 3) multiple facets.
The Green Books are too much and also stuff like Ultra is not included. I also assume the don't cover number 3) properly.

So, basically "das Deutsche Reich & der Zweite Weltkrieg" is a unicorn in that regard. :cry:
I recommend finding a copy of Robin Higham's Official Histories (Kansas State University 1970) and his Official Military Offices and Sources (Greenwood Press 2000, 2 volumes).

well, I guess when I can get a unicorn, I have to take a horse... although it is quite hard after being spoiled by a unicorn.

Thank You!

Return to “First World War”