Battlefield 1 about WW1

Discussions on all aspects of the First World War not covered in the other sections. Hosted by Terry Duncan.
Ponury

Battlefield 1 about WW1

Post by Ponury » 20 Nov 2016, 19:15

Stiltzkin

Re: Battlefield 1 about WW1

Post by Stiltzkin » 20 Nov 2016, 20:14

I sure hope you are joking, this game is a disgrace to all participants of the Great War and historically inaccurate.

Ponury

Post by Ponury » 21 Nov 2016, 22:27

Why?

Tanzania

Post by Tanzania » 22 Nov 2016, 05:52

Ponury,

Your activities in this forum and your mentioned occupational background gave me the impression that you are
not a small boy and well aware of the cruelties of every war.

I looked your mentioned link and I was impressed about the pictured technical details and how perfect this was visualised.
But at the same moment I was also shocked that this should be a `Game´, for children, maybe 6 years old? I have not children, do you?

Regards Holger
“Day by day and almost minute by minute the past was brought up to date. . . . All History was a
palimpsest, scraped clean and reinscribed exactly as often as was necessary” – G. ORWELL 1984

Stiltzkin

Post by Stiltzkin » 23 Nov 2016, 23:53

It is rated PEGI 18, it is a rambo shooter with historical inaccuracies en masse, there is nothing good to say about it, from a techincal standpoint it might be a great "game" but it is not aiming for realism. It does not even want to depict WW1 accurately, rather than almost making the impression of being alternate history/fiction. It absolutely surprises me that people in this forum want to present this as a decent WW1 game.

Sheldrake

Post by Sheldrake » 24 Nov 2016, 02:10

WW1 computer games are a minority sport. There was a mod for the 1942 battlefield game that allowed you to play a WW1 setting.

The biggest gripe for me was the awful British accents. The worst since Dick van Dyke's cockney in Mary Poppins and Sean Connelly Oirsh soldier on in the Longest day.

Stiltzkin

Post by Stiltzkin » 26 Nov 2016, 18:54

Well, if so then at least get this title from a small Dutch Indie Dev Blackmill : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWp-7XH3080
Still quite arcade but at least it is not violating historical accuracy.

Terry Duncan
Forum Staff

Post by Terry Duncan » 30 Nov 2016, 21:11

I think people are maybe being a little too harsh about Battlefield 1 as it is one of the few games to be set in WWI from a major pubilishing house, which can really only be a good thing in getting the war better known to a wider audience, some of whom may well then decide to look into the real events. We dont complain that the WWII games 'disgrace' the people who took part, even things like the Sniper game where the US sniper is needed in Tobruk barely see such inaccurate nonsense called a disgrace. It is not an accurate depiction of the war certainly, but then neither are the Call of Duty or other similar games either (maybe Arma comes close) very accurate representations of their particular conflicts.

The Verdun game is looking more accurate, it may well even be quite a good game, I have been following it since it was in early beta access, and it has always looked very promising. I would probably say it was the better game to buy, but many more people will see the Battlefield release, and may even go on to buy the Verdun game too if they like the setting.

Ponury

Post by Ponury » 17 Jan 2017, 22:38

Tanzania wrote:Ponury,

Your activities in this forum and your mentioned occupational background gave me the impression that you are
not a small boy and well aware of the cruelties of every war.

I looked your mentioned link and I was impressed about the pictured technical details and how perfect this was visualised.
But at the same moment I was also shocked that this should be a `Game´, for children, maybe 6 years old? I have not children, do you?

Regards Holger
Do you have any feelings nonsense :thumbsup:

Return to “First World War”