Can somebody tell me...

Discussions on all aspects of the Spanish Civil War including the Condor Legion, the Germans fighting for Franco in the Spanish Civil War.
Javichu

Can somebody tell me...

Post by Javichu » 27 Mar 2003, 22:16

Why they called them "Negrillos"? With all these colours...
From "El Color de la Guerra" Canal de Historia,cortesía de CArlos Martín un colegazo...
Attachments
PzI 3.jpg
PzI 3.jpg (41.77 KiB) Viewed 1763 times

Xavier

xx

Post by Xavier » 27 Mar 2003, 22:18

"negrillos" ("the little black ones") was the nick for them because of the base color (dark gray) almost black.

only german tanks arrived in that color when brand new.

Xavier

Javichu

Post by Javichu » 27 Mar 2003, 23:04

It was only a Joke ;-)
I know they came in the original Anthrazitgrau colour .It is said that a darker shade of grey that the later one (Poland...) and without that blueish tinct that can be seen in contemporary colour pics (Or at least I see althougt I have read elsewhere that it was a greenish tinct :? ) So they called them "Negrillos" (The Russian I16 came into big boxes with the word "Mohkba" for Moscu stencilled and they called it MOSCA or "fly" :lol: )
What I feel is uncommon is : First :A colour pic of a Spanish Foreign Legion SCW tank

Second: A three tone cammo not often seen in Nationalist vehicles along SCW (They were more common in Republican side)You can see Dark Grey+Broad bands of a Pea Gree+ Sand colour stripes...
Nice cammo very much like the German ones in WW2

Javichu

Post by Javichu » 30 Mar 2003, 10:36

Another view from the same vehicle...Look at the air recognition sign (The cross of St Andrew) on the roof.Surely by this time the Fuerza Aerea Republicana "La Gloriosa" was not a problem :(
Attachments
PzI España2.jpg
PzI España2.jpg (21.92 KiB) Viewed 1719 times
Last edited by Javichu on 30 Mar 2003, 21:42, edited 1 time in total.

josin

Post by josin » 28 Apr 2003, 04:59

My understanding is that the cross of St Andrew (based on the cross on which the saint was crucified) came into Spanish heraldry as the Burgundy Cross. (originally two roughly-pruned branches)

http://flagspot.net/flags/es1506.html#bur
The saltire was originally a Burgundian emblem, first introduced in Spain as the personal badge of Phillip the Handsome, Duke of Burgundy and King Consort of Castile and Aragon, married to Joan of Castile and Aragon (daughter of the Catholic Kings Ferdinand and Elizabeth), the parents of Charles I (Charles V as German Emperor). As such, the emblem has been called in Spain "cross (or, more properly, saltire) of Burgundy", even if the term "cross/saltire of St. Andrew" has also been used.
I would like to know which name is most-often used in current-day Spain, and if the Burgundian connection is common knowledge there.

thnx - josin

Javichu

Post by Javichu » 29 Apr 2003, 19:01

http://www.ejercitodelaire.mde.es/(G)Pu ... enframeset
I was not aware of this...
Anyway the cross of burgundy has been used sice last century by Carlist Groups after the red-yellow-red flag became the national symbol .So the Red Burgundy Cross is rarely seen nowadays.

Return to “Spanish Civil War & Legion Condor”