Definitive work on the Corpo Truppe Volontarie (CVT)?

Discussions on all aspects of the Spanish Civil War including the Condor Legion, the Germans fighting for Franco in the Spanish Civil War.
Rivet

Definitive work on the Corpo Truppe Volontarie (CVT)?

Post by Rivet » 05 Feb 2013, 05:22

Hello all. I am wondering if anyone can recommend a good overview text on the Corpo Truppe Volontarie (CVT). Thanks for any titles. :)
"Good actions ennoble us, and we are the sons of our deeds."—Miguel de Cervantes

jwsleser

Re: Definitive work on the Corpo Truppe Volontarie (CVT)?

Post by jwsleser » 06 Feb 2013, 16:17

La partecipazione Italiana alla guerra civile Spagnola (1936-1939) by Rovighi and Stefani is my go to source. This is the official history published by the USSME. Usual USSME format; a text volume and a document volume. 13 maps in the end pockets and ~80 maps and sketches in the volumes.

Jeff
Italian_Spain_sm.jpg
Italian_Spain_sm.jpg (81.93 KiB) Viewed 1633 times
Jeff Leser

Infantrymen of the Air

Rivet

Post by Rivet » 07 Feb 2013, 03:56

Thanks for the information. Is this title available in English?
"Good actions ennoble us, and we are the sons of our deeds."—Miguel de Cervantes

jwsleser

Post by jwsleser » 07 Feb 2013, 16:37

Alas it is not. Italian is not a difficult language to work with. Much depends on the nature of information being sought.

I am not aware of any study of the CTV in English. Even the ubiquitous Osprey series lacks a title specifically on this topic. Many general works on the war discuss the CTV to some extent, but I assume they lack the depth of info you are seeking.

The SCW is not a significant area of research for me, so I am not well versed in the literature available in English. Are you seeking specific info or general knowledge? Possibly others can offer some titles if they understand the specifics of your research.

Sorry I can’t offer more.

Jeff
Jeff Leser

Infantrymen of the Air

Rivet

Post by Rivet » 09 Feb 2013, 19:48

Thank you again for the information. I do appreciate it.

I am looking more of a general overview and not detailing a specific personality, battle, etc. Most of the works I've read concerning the SCW sort of mention the CVT tangentially, but perhaps there is one that is a bit more in depth.

Thanks again. :)

Orwell1984

Post by Orwell1984 » 10 Feb 2013, 15:23

As Jeff mentions, the CTV is very poorly covered in English and overdue for examination.
The best English book available is still John Coverdale's 1976 study Italian Intervention in the Spanish Civil War. Copies are expensive but perhaps you can get one through interlibrary loan.

http://www.amazon.com/Italian-Intervent ... 0691052255

Rivet

Post by Rivet » 10 Feb 2013, 20:53

Thank you for the link, Orwell1984. :)

Return to “Spanish Civil War & Legion Condor”