The luck of the Irish?

Discussions on all aspects of the Spanish Civil War including the Condor Legion, the Germans fighting for Franco in the Spanish Civil War.
Nick Pears

The luck of the Irish?

Post by Nick Pears » 21 May 2003, 22:11

"There was also a detachment of right wing French volunteers and 600 Irish blue-shirts under General O'Duffy, but their contribution can be ignored, as they were withdrawn after only one action in which they found themselves attacked by their own side.
So says Antony Beevor in The Spanish Civil War (p211). I have to admit, it raised a laugh the first time I read that. :)

Does anyone knows anything about this action and the career of the unfortunate General O'Duffy?

Ian Mc

Post by Ian Mc » 21 May 2003, 23:00

Hi,

General Eoin O Duffy was a hero in the war of independance against
the British and also in the Irish civil war . He was head of the Irish
police for a number of years in 1920s .

He became leader of a political party called Fine Geal and he tried
to inject some of the ideas of Mussolini into this party . He was also
the leader of an organisation which wore a blue shirt . This group
was initally made up of ex servicemen from the Irish army .

The Blueshirts are known as a Fascist group in Irish history but in my
opinion only O Duffy and a small number of other members were
truly Fascist . O Duffy tried to turn Fine Geal and the Blueshirts into
Fascists but was not sucessful .

O Duffy broke away from these groups and formed the National
Corporate Party which was Fascist . I believe it only had about 80
members . When the Spanish Civil War broke out O Duffy started
recruiting soldiers to go and fight for the Catholics against the
Communists . A large number of the men that went to Spain had
never been members of the Blueshirts and were not Fascist , they
were however anti Communist .

I will research the action in the war that you mentioned , I cant
remember it at the moment . I would also like to add that there
was a number of Irish on both sides in Spain .

Regards Ian.

Nick Pears

Post by Nick Pears » 21 May 2003, 23:10

Many thanks for the excellent information, ian. The Generals seem to have played the Catholic card extremely well during the civil war. Any additional info you can find on the action itself would be very interesting.

harry palmer

Post by harry palmer » 22 May 2003, 15:23

“ On 17th February 1937 the Irish Bandera left Caceres for the front. Two days later they suffered their first casualties.
At 0830 as they approached Ciempozuelos, A Company, who were in the lead, observed a party of about 40 troops moving towards them. As they were in a war zone, and shells were falling nearby, caution was in order. The company deployed, and after a brief consultation Captain Beauvais, the Spanish liaison officer , decided that the others were friendly. It was decided that a small group should advance to meet them. Captain O’Sullivan , Captain Beauvais and three others went forward. A few paces from them, Captain Beauvais saluted the officer in charge and announced “Bandera Irlandaise del Tercio.” Instantly, this captain drew his pistol and fired point blank at Beauvais but missed him. Someone shouted “The enemy” and they doubled back under a hail of fire. The Spaniards, Captain Beauvais, and Sgt Calvo died instantly. The others got back. A company, opened fire and in the brief engagement that followed Lt Tom Hyde was killed by a burst of MG fire.
This incident was the result of a tragic misunderstanding. The “enemy” were a group of Falange militia from the Canary Islands, part of the nationalist forces. Apart from four Irish killed twenty islanders died.”

“SOME CATHOLIC MOORS”, V, Ennis

The Irish bandera was badly let down by O’Duffy himself whose style of leadership was characterised by constant drunkenness and long absences from his command post. They in fact fought competently in two further engagements before they were sent home by Franco, who in fact stipulated that the non commissioned ranks could stay if they wished. They were unfairly branded “fascists” when they got home and adopted a low profile; some of their children were not aware that their fathers had fought in Spain. Many Irish fought with great distinction on the Republican side, ironically as part of the British battalion, which at one stage was commanded by Dublin man Frank Ryan.
O’Duffy was interned on the outbreak of World War Two by the Irish government but was released due to ill-health. It is now known that he offered his services to the Wehrmacht ,but the Germans were not enthusiastic.It was also recently revealed that he was having a covert homosexual affair with Irish actor Micheal MacLiammoir, the Graham Norton of his day. He died in 1944.

Nick Pears

Post by Nick Pears » 22 May 2003, 19:51

Once again excellent information and I thank you harry.

I'll look into this myself in greater detail now, thanks guys. If anyone has anything further to add, please feel free.

Ian Mc

Post by Ian Mc » 22 May 2003, 22:42

Hi ,

It seems that the Canary Islanders did not recognise the uniforms
of the Irish as they were of German origin and when Lieutenant
Bove announced they were from the foreign legion , the commander
of the Flangists who knew the legion uniform opened fire .

I know that O Duffy was contacted by a German agent in ww2 and
O Duffy put him in touch with the IRA . I was not aware however
that he was homosexual .

Regards , Ian .

Maurice C

Post by Maurice C » 30 May 2003, 05:27

Heres O'Duffy in 1935 from the book, Ireland during the second world war.
Attachments
o'Duffy.jpg
o'Duffy.jpg (47.99 KiB) Viewed 2087 times

Return to “Spanish Civil War & Legion Condor”