Weapons of the Spanish Civil War

Discussions on all aspects of the Spanish Civil War including the Condor Legion, the Germans fighting for Franco in the Spanish Civil War.
haxtur

Re: Weapons of the Spanish Civil War

Post by haxtur » 12 Apr 2013, 21:11

Thanks a lot Ironmachine I knew that book, but I can't buy it. Maybe it have the answers.
The second photo, the Little tip, is a Oerlikon 20 mm, maybe captured.
Regards

Ironmachine

Post by Ironmachine » 14 Apr 2013, 18:25

I could finally take a look at the book, and here is what it says about the matter:
Sólo ha sido posible documentar la recepción en la España republicana de una remesa de ametralladoras Wz.30, constituida por 48 máquinas que transportó hasta Burdeos el "Al Racou", junto con los fusiles ametralladores Wz.28, acabando por llegar a Valencia a finales de agosto de 1937 tras correr los mismos azares que éstos últimos. En cualquier caso, no puede considerarse la única partida recibida por la República, pues no deja suponer tal cosa ni lo tardío de su llegada, ya que las tropas gubernamentales estaban empleando este tipo de ametralladora desde el primer año de guerrra, ni lo escaso de su número, pues se trataba de un arma que alcanzó considerable difusión entre aquéllas.
Regards.

GoldenState

Re: Most common Nationalist LMG

Post by GoldenState » 17 May 2014, 06:31

Kurt_Steiner wrote:For armored cars, look at http://www.elgrancapitan.org/foro/1-vt6523.html?start=0 (in spanish)
For artillery: http://www.elgrancapitan.org/foro/1-vt7975.html?start=0 (in spanish)
Light weapons http://www.elgrancapitan.org/foro/1-vt8694.html?start=0 (in spanish)

For those of us who don't read spanish. What was the most common Nationalist Light Machine Gun? Any other interesting tidbits you would be willing to share?

von thoma

Post by von thoma » 18 May 2014, 20:34

What was the most common Nationalist Light Machine Gun?
In my opinion, was the Hotchkiss 7mm machine gun.
" The right to believe is the right of those who don't know "

GoldenState

Post by GoldenState » 18 May 2014, 23:51

von thoma wrote:
What was the most common Nationalist Light Machine Gun?
In my opinion, was the Hotchkiss 7mm machine gun.
Could be, but the references I've seen indicate that its predominance was prewar. I'm really perplexed. I can't find any list of light machine guns made by the Nationalists during the war and they don't seem to have imported more than a total of 5,000 machine guns from Germany (theoretically 4,000 being MG13's & even more so MG08/15's) or any great number of Polish BARs. As for the Italian source, I think if the Nationalists used a lot of Breda 30's, there would have been a lot of discussion about it over time.

Ironmachine

Post by Ironmachine » 19 May 2014, 07:55

GoldenState wrote:Could be, but the references I've seen indicate that its predominance was prewar.
It was kept in production during the war. With the pre-war stocks and those produced during the war plus those captured, I have to agree with von thoma that it was probably the most common Nationalist machine-gun.

Ironmachine

Post by Ironmachine » 19 May 2014, 12:34

GoldenState wrote:they don't seem to have imported more than a total of 5,000 machine guns from Germany (theoretically 4,000 being MG13's & even more so MG08/15's)
Probably less than 5,000 machine-guns were imported from Germany. An order was made through H.I.S.M.A. in 1938 for 1,500 light and 500 heavy machine-guns that was received with the war almost ended. How many German machine-guns reached Spain before that is doubtful.
After war's end, in the invoices submitted by the Kondor Legion to the Spanish state only the following machine-guns were billed for: 83 MG.13, 12 MG.08 and 8 MG.08/15 by the Luftwaffe and 438 MG.3 by the Heer (including those used by the Kondor Legion during the war).
In addition, 1.268 MG.08 machine-guns were captured aboard the Rambon on 24 Febuary 1937 and later used by the Nationals.
Another German machine-gun, the Bergmann LMG.15nA, was also used by the Nationals, but they were all captured weapons.

Return to “Spanish Civil War & Legion Condor”