Axis History Forum

This is an apolitical forum for discussions on the Axis nations and related topics hosted by Marcus Wendel's Axis History Factbook in cooperation with Michael Miller's Axis Biographical Research, Christoph Awender's WW2 day by dayand Christian Ankerstjerne’s Panzerworld.

Skip to content

If you found the forum useful please consider supporting us. You can also support us by buying books through the AHF Bookstore.

Cost of B-29 Superfortress

Discussions on all aspects of the United States of America during the Inter-War era and Second World War.
Hosted by Carl Schwamberger.

Cost of B-29 Superfortress

Postby eaglestar78 on 15 Jan 2013 23:37

A B-29 A or B model cost between $750,000 and $1 million USD in 1944-45
eaglestar78
Member
United States
 
Posts: 16
Joined: 07 Nov 2012 23:06

Re: Cost of B-29 Superfortress

Postby Takao on 16 Jan 2013 05:20

That would either be somewhat high or very early in the program. IIRC, the average "fly-away" cost for a B-29 was around $639,000-$640,000 USD.
User avatar
Takao
Member
United States
 
Posts: 2174
Joined: 10 Mar 2002 19:27
Location: Reading, Pa

Re: Cost of B-29 Superfortress

Postby Sizemore on 03 Feb 2013 00:33

eaglestar78 wrote:A B-29 A or B model cost between $750,000 and $1 million USD in 1944-45


Wow. R&D was 3 billion in 1940 dollars, I believe.
Sizemore
Member
Czech Republic
 
Posts: 9
Joined: 02 Feb 2013 23:49
Location: CT, now living in Europe.

Re: Cost of B-29 Superfortress

Postby Machinga on 17 Feb 2013 21:55

Machinga
Member
United States
 
Posts: 10
Joined: 13 Feb 2011 03:06

Re: Cost of B-29 Superfortress

Postby eaglestar78 on 22 Feb 2013 22:55

The R&D for the B-29 program was the same as the Manhatten Project for the A- bomb $2 Billion USD in 1945
eaglestar78
Member
United States
 
Posts: 16
Joined: 07 Nov 2012 23:06

Re: Cost of B-29 Superfortress

Postby phylo_roadking on 22 Feb 2013 23:54

...the Manhatten Project for the A- bomb $2 Billion USD in 1945


Actually....$1,889,604,000. Of that, under 10% was R&D! 8O The rest, over 90% of the cost, was for building plants and producing the fissionable materials :P

I wonder what the cost of the B-29 project would be if you factored in the cost of building and equiping the four main assembly factories; a pair of Boeing operated plants at Renton, Washington, and Wichita, Kansas, a Bell plant at Marietta, Georgia ("Bell-Atlanta"), and a Martin plant at Omaha, Nebraska ("Martin-Omaha")? :wink:
Twenty years ago we had Johnny Cash, Bob Hope and Steve Jobs. Now we have no Cash, no Hope and no Jobs....
Lord, please keep Kevin Bacon alive...
User avatar
phylo_roadking
Member
United Kingdom
 
Posts: 17128
Joined: 30 Apr 2006 23:31
Location: Belfast

Re: Cost of B-29 Superfortress

Postby phylo_roadking on 23 Feb 2013 00:56

$750,000


Hmm....an Avro Lancaster cost in the region of $141,050 - so that's five Lancs for the cost of a Superfortress.

Interesting...
Twenty years ago we had Johnny Cash, Bob Hope and Steve Jobs. Now we have no Cash, no Hope and no Jobs....
Lord, please keep Kevin Bacon alive...
User avatar
phylo_roadking
Member
United Kingdom
 
Posts: 17128
Joined: 30 Apr 2006 23:31
Location: Belfast

Re: Cost of B-29 Superfortress

Postby eaglestar78 on 10 Apr 2013 00:16

The U.S Army Waco CG-4A glider program cost $500 million in 1945 USD
Unit cost per glider $17-18k
eaglestar78
Member
United States
 
Posts: 16
Joined: 07 Nov 2012 23:06


Return to USA 1919-1945

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests