Cpl. Tony Stein, MOH, Iwo Jima

Discussions on WW2 in the Pacific and the Sino-Japanese War.
Dan W.

Cpl. Tony Stein, MOH, Iwo Jima

Post by Dan W. » 16 Nov 2008, 22:51

This Marine used a model ANM2 Browning "Stinger" machinegun from a Dauntless torpedo bomber and improvised it into a 1300 round a min. pill box killer.

Corporal Tony Stein (September 30, 1921–March 1, 1945)

Citation:
The President of the United States takes pride in presenting the MEDAL OF HONOR posthumously to

CORPORAL TONY STEIN
UNITED STATES MARINE CORPS RESERVE

For conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity at the risk of his life above and beyond the call of duty while serving with Company A, First Battalion, Twenty-Eighth Marines, Fifth Marine Division, in action against enemy Japanese forces on Iwo Jima, in the Volcano Island, February 19, 1945. The first man of his unit to be on station after hitting the beach in the initial assault, Corporal Stein, armed with a personally improvised aircraft-type weapon, provided rapid covering fire as the remainder of his platoon attempted to move into position and, when his comrades were stalled by a concentrated machine-gun and mortar barrage, gallantly stood upright and exposed himself to the enemy's view, thereby drawing the hostile fire to his own person and enabling him to observe the location of the furiously blazing hostile guns. Determined to neutralize the strategically placed weapons, he boldly charged the enemy pillboxes one by one and succeeded in killing twenty of the enemy during the furious single-handed assault. Cool and courageous under the merciless hail of exploding shells and bullets which fell on all sides, he continued to deliver the fire of his skillfully improvised weapon at a tremendous rate of speed which rapidly exhausted his ammunition. Undaunted, he removed his helmet and shoes to expedite his movements on ran back to the beach for additional ammunition, making a total of eight trips under intense fire and carrying or assisting a wounded man back each time. Despite the unrelenting savagery and confusion of battle, he rendered prompt assistance to his platoon whenever the unit was in position, directing the fire of a half-track against a stubborn pillbox until he had effected the ultimate destruction of the Japanese fortification. Later in the day, although his weapon was twice shot from his hands, he personally covered the withdrawal of his platoon to the company position. Stouthearted and indomitable, Corporal Stein, by his aggressive initiative, sound judgment and unwavering devotion to duty in the face of terrific odds, contributed materially to the fulfillment of his mission, and his outstanding valor throughout the bitter hours of conflict sustained and enhanced the highest traditions of the United States Naval Service

Replica of improvised ANM2 .30-06 "Stinger"
By Charles A. Jones - Special to the Times
Posted : March 12, 2007

Marines have a long history of being creative and adapting things for use in combat. During World War II, leathernecks adapted the “Stinger” — a machine gun designed for aircraft — for use by ground forces. In combat, Marines found that the infantry’s standard light machine gun, the tripod-mounted Browning M1919A4, was ideal for defense but cumbersome for assaults. They also wanted a higher rate of fire than the M1919A4 and the squad automatic rifle, the Browning Automatic Rifle, provided.

The aircraft-mounted ANM2 .30-caliber machine gun was similar to the M1919A4, but it was lighter, had a higher rate of fire and spade grips for aerial gunners. Eventually, Marines took ANM2s from wrecked aircraft and converted them into Stingers by adding butt stocks and sights from M1 Garand rifles and bipods from BARs. Combat testing gave positive results.

Before the invasion of Iwo Jima, a sergeant worked tirelessly to build Stingers but could produce only six. Five went to 3rd Battalion, 28th Marines, and one to Cpl. Tony Stein with 1st Battalion. Combat Team 28’s after-action report for the battle on Iwo noted that 3rd Battalion “used a number of specially built ‘Stinger’ light machine guns” and “found their performance excellent under all conditions.”

The report stated that the Stinger was “an aircraft [Browning Light Machine Gun].”

It added that the weapon, with 100 rounds, weighed 25 pounds and that the Marines using it had “little difficulty” with jams.“It proved very good for surprise targets because of the ease in putting it into action, thus it is very good for patrol work,” the report stated.

It concluded by noting that the Stinger fired 1,200 rounds continuously in tests “with no effect on the machine gun.”
The battalion recommended that it be adopted, replacing one of the BARs in each squad. The sixth Stinger on Iwo helped Stein earn a Medal of Honor. His citation does not use the term “Stinger” but describes “a personally improvised aircraft-type weapon” and a “skillfully improvised weapon.”

When his company was stopped by enemy fire on Feb. 19, 1945, Stein stood to draw fire so gun positions could be located. He then attacked pillboxes with the Stinger, killing 20 Japanese troops.

The citation notes that the Stinger delivered fire “at a tremendous rate of speed,” requiring Stein to run to the beach eight times to obtain ammunition. To run faster, he removed his boots and helmet. On each trip, he assisted a wounded Marine to the rear. On March 1, Stein was killed while firing his Stinger at a pillbox.

Although the Stinger never became standard issue, it served its purpose and was a tribute to Marines who adapt and overcome.

The writer is a lawyer and Marine Corps Reserve colonel in Norfolk, Va. He can be reached at [email protected].
Last edited by Dan W. on 18 Nov 2008, 00:20, edited 1 time in total.

Peter H

Re: Cpl. Tony Stein, MOH, Iwo Jima

Post by Peter H » 17 Nov 2008, 08:37

Thanks Dan

From http://www.cmohs.org

A somewhat almost fictional representation.But true!

sonofsamphm1c

Post by sonofsamphm1c » 24 Feb 2009, 01:37

directing the fire of a half-track against a stubborn pillbox until he had effected the ultimate destruction of the Japanese fortification
- Stein's MOH citation

My father was the corpsman for the 75mm half-track platoon of the 28th Regiment. They were support of Stein's battalion, the 1-28 on the morning of D-day. It was common for rifle company Marines to come back and point out targets for the 75mm gunners on the half-tracks. The low trajectory of he gun made it very effective for pounding holes in concrete. Once the had a hole, in went the HE.

ChristopherPerrien

Post by ChristopherPerrien » 24 Feb 2009, 17:50

His civilian and marine nickname was "Tough Tony". Fitting, to say the least. RIP, Tough Tony Stein.

Chris

Dan W.

Post by Dan W. » 10 Mar 2009, 23:30

Stein had a full arm tattoo of a jaguar or some kind of cat, and in an interview with a Marine from his Battalion he spoke of Stein with a kind of awe. He said "Back in those days, people just didnt go out and get big tattoos on their arms like that, but Tony didnt think twice."

sonofsamphm1c

Post by sonofsamphm1c » 12 Mar 2009, 05:21

Dan W. wrote:Stein had a full arm tattoo of a jaguar or some kind of cat, and in an interview with a Marine from his Battalion he spoke of Stein with a kind of awe. He said "Back in those days, people just didnt go out and get big tattoos on their arms like that, but Tony didnt think twice."

I don't know when he got the tattoo, but the mascot of the 5th Marine Division was a lion named Roscoe.

Charlene Rubush

Post by Charlene Rubush » 30 Sep 2011, 22:19

Hello Dan,
I just now found this site, and am thrilled to see your info on Cpl.Tony Stein. I am proud to say I am his niece by marriage. My Uncle George Walters, (now deceased) of Dayton, Ohio, was married to Tony's sister, Theresa, also called Aunt Rose.

I was quite young when we moved away from Dayton, but my mother's family was very close to the Stein family. Tony and Rose lived and played in the same north Dayton neighborhood as the Walters' family. I only learned of Uncle Tony's fame and brave exploits when I went back to college in my late 30's.

My Uncle Mike, who is still living but getting up in years, used to be best friends with Tony. He confirmed how tough Tony was. As a matter of fact, Uncle Mike said Tony used to egg him on, to fight anybody Tony took a dislike to. But Uncle Mike
always spoke lovingly of Tony. I think Tony was the kind of guy that liked to have a lot of action going on around him. He was smart and extremely handsome.

I found out that a ship was named after Tony. It's been mothballed in Washington state for many years. --Even though Uncle Tony died before I could know him, I'm so proud of the personal connection. He was a helluva guy..........

ChristopherPerrien

Post by ChristopherPerrien » 09 Oct 2011, 14:48

I'm late but :welcome: Charlene.

Dan W. Do you know anything about Stein's "jump wings" in the picture above. Kinda unusual for a Marine.

Chris

Kantemirovka

Post by Kantemirovka » 09 Oct 2011, 17:14

ChristopherPerrien wrote:Do you know anything about Stein's "jump wings" in the picture above. Kinda unusual for a Marine.

Chris
He was a Marine Raider from 1942 to early 1944.
"We all die. The goal isn't to live forever. The goal is to create something that will."
Chuck Palahniuk

ChristopherPerrien

Post by ChristopherPerrien » 09 Oct 2011, 21:58

Thanks K,

I forgot about the training, the raiders went through.

Chris

sonofsamphm1c

Post by sonofsamphm1c » 11 Oct 2011, 19:03

Kantemirovka wrote:
ChristopherPerrien wrote:Do you know anything about Stein's "jump wings" in the picture above. Kinda unusual for a Marine.

Chris
He was a Paramarine. When they disbanded the Paramarines, many of them ended up in the 5th Marine Division. My father served with several of them.

ChristopherPerrien

Post by ChristopherPerrien » 05 Nov 2011, 08:36

sonofsamphm1c wrote:
Kantemirovka wrote:

Chris
He was a Paramarine. When they disbanded the Paramarines, many of them ended up in the 5th Marine Division. My father served with several of them.
Right , same thing, A Paramarine was a Raider, AFAIK. What they call themselves might well have been based on their POV.

Originally, there were two raider Battalions , Edson's and Carlson's. I gather Stein was in the 1st Raiders with Edson or maybe the later 3rd batt and not the 2nd Raider's. All went through jump training. I suggest the good book, "Carlson's Raid" by George Smith to read about all the training the Raiders went through.

Evans Carlson pushed some weird morale stuff on his Battalion, "Gung Ho!", while Merrit "Red" Edson was just an a great man and leader of marines. Carlson went "native" from all his time in China , prewar.

Yes, they were disbanded, mainly because it was Carlson's crazy idea to create the "Raider's" in the first place, which he did because he was backed by FDR and his son. The Raiders were eventually disbanded; Because of the more workman's/plain marine attitude of Merritt Edson. Edson thought the whole "Raider" bit was a dumb/redundant idea. The USMC put Edson in charge of one battalion to counteract the weirdness of Carlson's raider idea and his FDR support. I really suggest that book, because the story behind all this, is real interesting.

kgbudge

Post by kgbudge » 05 Nov 2011, 18:19

A Paramarine was a Raider, AFAIK
Not according to Rottmann. From my notes:
The Marines had experimented with parachute drops as early as 1927, but formal training of parachutists did not begin until May 1940, doubtless prompted by the German successes in Europe. The Navy was originally responsible for training and equipment, but enough Marine parachutists had been trained by October 1940 to allow the Marines to establish their own jump school at Lakehurst, New Jersey. The first combat platoon was organized in March 1941. Two parachute battalions had been organized by the time war broke out.

Great plans were developed for the parachute battalions, none of which came to fruition. Instead, the first three battalions were attached to regular Marine regiments and fought as elite infantrymen in the Guadalcanal campaign. In March 1943 the battalions were gathered into the IMAC Parachute Group, which was soon redesignated 1 Marine Parachute Regiment and deployed to Cape Torokina. Here the parachutists again fought as elite infantry. Although plans for combat drops were considered several times, the lack of air transport, the distance to objectives, and the fluid tactical situation meant that the Marine paratroopers never made a combat drop. 1 Marine Parachute Regiment was deactivated in February 1944 and its soldiers reassigned as cadre for 5 Marine Division.
http://pwencycl.kgbudge.com/P/a/Paratroops.htm
Marine officers visited the British Commandos in 1940, and "provisional rubber boat companies" were organized to test the raider concept in the fleet exercises of February 1941. Opinion in the Marine Corps was soon sharply divided into two camps. One camp, led by Holland Smith, pointed out that the Marines already considered themselves elite infantry, so that special raider formations would constitute a wasteful "elite within an elite." The other camp included Evans Carlson, a Marine officer who had closely observed guerrilla operations by the Chinese Communists and who had gained the ear of President Roosevelt while serving as commander of the White House Marine detachment. Roosevelt authorized the formation of Raider battalions, and his son, James Roosevelt, who was a Marine captain, became Carlson's executive officer in 2 Raider Battalion. Roosevelt later commanded 4 Raider Battalion.

Because they were experimental formations, 1 and 2 Raider Battalions adopted their own organization and tactical doctrines. 1 Raider Battalion, under Merritt Edson, resembled an ordinary Marine battalion with additional training and equipment and composed of handpicked men. On the other hand, 2 Raider Battalion, under Carlson, was modeled closely on the Chinese Communist guerrillas and had a very informal structure that tended to erase distinctions of rank.
http://pwencycl.kgbudge.com/M/a/Marine_ ... talion.htm

Clearly two distinct outfits.

ChristopherPerrien

Post by ChristopherPerrien » 06 Nov 2011, 03:49

Y'all are both right, he(Tony Stein) was a paramarine, not a raider. However near the end of thewar Both the paramarines and the raiders were assimilated into the 4th and 5th Marines, so there was a good mixing of them in those units. Also both the paramarines and and the raiders battalions or sections of them fought "side by side several" actions. The line is a little fuzzy at times but they were different units and they did have different unit patches, one with a skull one with a parachute.

sonofsamphm1c

Post by sonofsamphm1c » 07 Nov 2011, 06:13

For the moment, I'm going retract my position. I saw his patch and just assumed he was a paramarine. The 28th Regiment had a lot of former Paramarines.

I looked at the Raiders website and he is not listed as being one of their MoH recipients. Chambers is, and his was for action after disbandment - Iwo Jima. So if was a Raider, he should be on their list. Wikipedia indicates he was a Raider. So right now I do not know which.

My understanding is the Raiders and the Paramarines were distinctly different outfits. They fought side-by-side on Guadalcanal.

My hunch is still he was a Paramarine, but I can't access my books until tomorrow.

Return to “WW2 in the Pacific & Asia”