Australians Using M1 Garands

Discussions on WW2 in the Pacific and the Sino-Japanese War.
Graeme Sydney

Australians Using M1 Garands

Post by Graeme Sydney » 07 Apr 2012, 13:55

I take it that that is an M1. How widespread was their use? Anyone know?

This photo was taken during the Buna battle and there were US units close by so it may have been a local expedient/trial. In other theatres logs for ammo etc may have been an issue.

OldBill

Re: Australians Using M1 Garands

Post by OldBill » 16 Apr 2012, 21:43

It's a Garand alright. The other soldier is using a Thompson. I've no idea if this was done officially or if the troops simply did some trading between themselves.

Trackhead M2

Post by Trackhead M2 » 01 May 2012, 18:44

OldBill wrote:It's a Garand alright. The other soldier is using a Thompson. I've no idea if this was done officially or if the troops simply did some trading between themselves.
Dear OB,
The AIF troops may have been in a situation where their own supply couldn't reach them and it was easier the US Services of Supply to have them use rifles which used the ammo available. A problem like this had American Troops in Russia after the Revolution began in 1917 using M-1891 Nagants.The Thompson was Austrailian limited standard issue anyway. The first photo of a Stuart tank I ever saw was being manned by Austrailians in the Solomons. The MGs in a Stuart are M-1919 A4 Brownings in 0.30-06. So using M-1s is a short jump.
Strike Swiftly,
TH-M2

Jabberwocky

Post by Jabberwocky » 03 May 2012, 07:16

US small arms were supplied to Australian troops that were attached to US units in New Guinea and some other places. I believe it was a local practice to ensure that Australian troops fit in with the US logistics train.

Return to “WW2 in the Pacific & Asia”