World War 2 at a Grand Strategic Level: Correcting Mistakes

Discussions on every day life in the Weimar Republic, pre-anschluss Austria, Third Reich and the occupied territories. Hosted by Vikki.
stug111

Re: World War 2 at a Grand Strategic Level: Correcting Mista

Post by stug111 » 21 Nov 2013, 13:58

by Kingfish on 06 Jul 2012, 13:39

Dark Age wrote:
I do not mean to sound rude but spare us the parochial sentiment.

I am merely coming to the same conclusion with Kursk, Midway, etc as you did with the BoB.
If it seems parochial to you, well....

Battles no doubt are important but the strategic decisions that give birth to such battles are of the highest importance.

You seem to contradict yourself. On the one hand you acknowledge the importance of battles and how they shape the strategic decisions both before and after said battles. All very good except your original posts you go out of your way to reduce the importance of BoB, Stalingrad and Kursk, all of which had a profound effect on the war's direction and outcome. To say Stalingrad was a Pyrrhic victory at best fails to acknowledge what effect it had on Fall Blau as a whole.

If you equate a victory to the Battle of Britain than you have low standards for victory.

Me...and just about everyone else on the planet.

The British though successful in defending the British Isles from invasion lacked the strength to even force a favorable stalemate with Germany.

The Germans though successful in defending the continent from invasion lacked the strength to even force a favorable stalemate with England.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

perhaps the greatest backhand blow i have ever seen on a forum .. especially the final schwerpunkt re germans defending europe .. masterful ! :thumbsup: well done field marshall kingfisher

Return to “Life in the Third Reich & Weimar Republic”