Film, Photography, and Screenshots ---- Inaccuracy...

Discussions on every day life in the Weimar Republic, pre-anschluss Austria, Third Reich and the occupied territories. Hosted by Vikki.
Big Yehudah

Film, Photography, and Screenshots ---- Inaccuracy...

Post by Big Yehudah » 11 Jun 2014, 00:59

Shalom everyone,

There is a wealth of film and photography available on the internet but often it's hard to properly label it.

Now, I wouldn't go looking for the best historical analysis from documentaries, but since little good footage exists for public consumption, documentaries such as, WWII in HD, WWII in HD Colour, Apocalypse, etc, represents the very best non-archival footage available publicly. Unfortunately, I am CERTAIN much of the narration bears LITTLE relevance to the footage being shown during parts of the narration. If there is fighting going on in City A, they probably just show high quality footage from just about anywhere. Much of the footage in documentaries like these is very high quality. But I have no idea how to determine whether the footage is actually of that specific event which is being narrated. Any fix for this? (I doubt it.) I noticed also, that documentaries always cut and arrange footage. Nothing raw is ever shown, only tiny segments of an actual film. Is there any way to get a hold of all of these footage in its entirety?

Michael Kenny

Re: Film, Photography, and Screenshots ---- Inaccuracy...

Post by Michael Kenny » 11 Jun 2014, 02:08

The only widely available 'free' raw footage is on the Pathe channel on YouTube. Search for 'Unissued / Unused material.' to see the stuff even they dont know about.
There really is no easy way to become an expert here other than watching every bit of footage you can lay your hands on until you get to know the subject.

This is a Pathe example

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kRN5_4U8VfI

The large film collections have stock pieces of footage that lazy researchers buy to make DVDs. They purchase by the minute and in terms of '30 seconds of tanks going forward/20 seconds of aircraft straffing. 90% of viewers do not know enough to worry about Pz II's shown advancing in Normandy supported by Stukas!

Big Yehudah

Re: Film, Photography, and Screenshots ---- Inaccuracy...

Post by Big Yehudah » 11 Jun 2014, 03:49

Thank you. Is there a place to download high resolution footage like that?

I see. They purchase by the minute. That is disheartening since I bet it gets extremely expensive. I suppose that means there is a massive amount of footage most of which has never been aired. It's too bad it can't be gotten for free.

EDIT:
WOW! I am watching stuff on the link you sent me. It is GREAT!

Return to “Life in the Third Reich & Weimar Republic”