How many tons of supplies (w/o fuel) a military base on a Pa

Discussions on every day life in the Weimar Republic, pre-anschluss Austria, Third Reich and the occupied territories. Hosted by Vikki.
entropus

How many tons of supplies (w/o fuel) a military base on a Pa

Post by entropus » 22 Aug 2014, 17:09

I would really appreciate if someone would be so kind to give me an estimate.
Lets us assume a US military base on a Pacific island. The base houses 500 troops.
I would need to estimate how many tons of equipment has to be supplied to that base daily.

I specifically would not to leave out the fuel and water (have estimates for that from some military research papers).

I have used Google and found quite a few research papers, but they do not give quantities of spare parts, clothing, medicines, ammunition etc used daily. Just the fuel, electricity and water.

Could anyone help me?

steverodgers801

Re: How many tons of supplies (w/o fuel) a military base on

Post by steverodgers801 » 23 Aug 2014, 07:05

combat or non combat, what kind of equipment do they have. As far as food are we talking field rations, field cooking or barracks type cooking.

jwsleser

Post by jwsleser » 02 Sep 2014, 18:16

Source is FM 101-10-1 volume 2 (Oct 1987), page 2-5. This is general theater level planning data. These numbers are designed as a first step in calculating requirements using only number of personnel. For example, if you plan to support 500,000 men in theater, these numbers would provide a basic daily requirement for all types of supply (the numbers assume a level of weapons/equipment, combat, and movement). It will give you a high ballpark as your island garrison likely doesn’t have tanks, truck units, etc. Obviously these numbers reflect the US scale of supply which is better than most armies would/did enjoy. If you can find a copy of this manual (you don’t need volume 1 as that is all TO&E data), there are detailed formulas and base data for calculating requirements for a specific force.

In pounds per man per day: CL I – 4.03; CL II – 3.67; CL III – 53.7; CL III Packaged – 0.59; CL IV – 8.50; CL VI – 3.20; CL VII – 15.00; CL VIII – 1.22; CL IX – 2.50. A high factor for water is 20 gallons per man per day (includes all water requirements: drinking, shaving, showers, cooking, etc.).

The basic supply number is 123.7 pounds per man per day. That number assumes a level of daily combat, transport moving supplies from rear areas forward, repair/replacement of damaged equipment, etc. IBWs, and active combat theater with all the bells and whistles.

If you just look at daily requirements without combat (CL I, II, VI, VIII), the number is 12.12 pounds per man per day. You would need to add in some fuel (CL III for cooking, heating water, generators, etc.) and some spare parts (CL IX for repair of the things using fuel). Those numbers can be generated using table 2-12 and Section V.

Again volume 2 allows you to make very specific calculations. While the manual is dated 1987, it reflects actual data from WW2, Korea, and Vietnam. Note the numbers are for planning purposes and would change once an actual consumption baseline has been established.

Jeff
Jeff Leser

Infantrymen of the Air

Delta Tank

Post by Delta Tank » 03 Sep 2014, 16:29

To all,

This discussion came up before and here is what I found and posted:

To all,

Delta Tank wrote:

To all,

I found the below information at the website listed:http://www.army.mil/cmh/books/DAHSUM/1969/chVII.htm page 72

Quote:
Closely allied to the transportation phase of military operations is supply support. Under current consumption factors, U.S. Army personnel in Vietnam are using an average of 94.04 pounds of supply (of all classes) per man per day, compared with 45.34 pounds during World War II in the Pacific theater.

Can we assume that the daily supply rate per man per day in the ETO was something greater than 45.34 pounds per day and probably less than the 94.04 pounds per day used in Vietnam? I have yet to find a planning figure for the ETO. I think it may be in a staff planning manual at home in the note section somewhere.

Mike

You can find the whole discussion here:
http://forum.axishistory.com/viewtopic. ... n&start=45

Mike

Return to “Life in the Third Reich & Weimar Republic”