Franz Kubel - Stettin

Discussions on every day life in the Weimar Republic, pre-anschluss Austria, Third Reich and the occupied territories. Hosted by Vikki.
theodorerobl

Franz Kubel - Stettin

Post by theodorerobl » 01 Nov 2014, 01:46

I am not sure if this is the right part of the forum to post this question but I could not find a more specific one. Franz Kubel of Stettin was named as being a contractor of labour for the upgrading of the airfield located at Konigsberg-sur-Oder in September, 1944 through to January 1945. I was wondering if anyone had come across this name before and if there was any information available. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Heimatschuss

Re: Franz Kubel - Stettin

Post by Heimatschuss » 02 Nov 2014, 01:46

Hello,

the 1938 address book for Stettin (http://zbc.ksiaznica.szczecin.pl/dlibra ... ublication) doesn't contain any meaningful entries for Kübel, Kubel, Kübl or Kubl. There's an entry though for a construction company 'Franz Kuball'. This company was from Stolp (Eastern Pomerania) but had a branch office in Stettin.

Here's a web site about one of their employees, Wilhelm Noffke: http://www.manfred-pollex.com/firma-fra ... p-pommern/ and it looks like the Kuball company was heavily involved in airfield construction. During WW II they were subordinated to the Organisation Todt. That Kuball worked a lot for the Luftwaffe is corroborated by the short biography of another Kuball employee, Albert Höfer, saying that Kuball Construction were a large enterprise and experts in building roads and airfields (Stelter & Rogge, 1972, p.355).

References:

Stelter, Franz; Rogge; Heinrich
Der Kreis Neustettin. Ein pommersches Heimatbuch.
Holzner Verlag; Würzburg; 1972

Best regards
Torsten

GregSingh

Post by GregSingh » 04 Nov 2014, 04:28

Looks like Torsten nailed it!

Business was expanding. 1940's edition of Ostpommern calendar had this:
Ostpommern 1940.jpg
Franz Kuball
Ostpommern 1940.jpg (25.61 KiB) Viewed 461 times

theodorerobl

Post by theodorerobl » 04 Nov 2014, 11:48

Torsten, thank you very much for your assistance. The different spelling certainly makes it easier to find what one seeks. I am most grateful

Return to “Life in the Third Reich & Weimar Republic”