Towns, regions etc that has changed name since the war

Discussions on every day life in the Weimar Republic, pre-anschluss Austria, Third Reich and the occupied territories. Hosted by Vikki.
Locke

Post by Locke » 24 Oct 2003, 18:27

I've made some corrections of Duncan's list - mostly spelling mistakes and slovenian letters.
Hope you don't mind...
Duncan wrote:Assling - Jesenice
Bischaflack – Skofja Loka (Bischoflack, also Laak an der Zaier-Škofja Loka)
Franz - Vranska (Vransko)
Gottschee – Kocevje (Kočevje)
Gurkfeld – Krsko (Krško)
Hohenegg - Vorjnik (Vojnik)
Krainburg – Kranj
Kanker – Kokra
Kressnitz - Krerace (Kresnice)
Kropp - Kropa
Laibach – Ljubljana
Lichtenwald – Sevnica
Littai – Litija
Luttenburg – Ljutomer
Marburg - Maribor
Mottnig - Mobrak (Möttnig - Motnik)
Nassenfluss – Mokrono? (Mokronog)
Ob.Liabach? - Vrnhika (Oberlaibach)
Prassburg – Mosirje (Mozirje)
Radmannsdorf – Radovijica
Rann – Brezice (Brežice)
Reifnitz – Ribnica
Rudolfswerth – Novo Mesto
Sagor – Zagorje
Sairach - Ziri (Žiri)
Schonstein – Sostary (Šoštanj)
Seisenburg – Zuzempgrit? (Žužemberk)
Steinbruck – Zidani...? (Zidani Most)
Sulzbach – Solcava (Solčava)
Tschernembl – Crnomelj (Črnomelj)
Waatsch - Vace (Vače)
Weixelburg – Visjna Gara (Višnja Gora)
Windischgraz – Slovenj Gradec
Wind.Freistritz – Slov Ristrica (Windische Feistriz - Slovenska Bistrica)

Regards,
Polona

Duncan

Post by Duncan » 24 Oct 2003, 21:22

Not at all!
very helpful. As I said, it was difficult reading it off an old atlas.
Thanks
Duncan

DrG

Post by DrG » 24 Oct 2003, 21:48

gabriel pagliarani

Post by gabriel pagliarani » 26 Oct 2003, 00:11

Good job. There also enlisted some italian toponyms of Albania... :)

Oderint Dvm Metvant

Post by Oderint Dvm Metvant » 31 Oct 2003, 04:48

I know that the german side of my family comes from a german "colony" in the Banat which used to be called Franzfeld, it was near Belgrade on the Danube.
After the war the Germans in the area were expelled and it was renamed "Titoburg" or something along those lines. After Tito's death it was renamed once again but I don't know what to.

Karl da Kraut

Post by Karl da Kraut » 03 Nov 2003, 17:55

I'd like to add:

Krainburg - Kranj

Nina van M.

Post by Nina van M. » 09 Nov 2003, 19:22

Marcus wrote ESSEC (Osijek in Yugoslavia-Serbia). Not true, Osijek is in Croatia to be precise. I didnt noticed that small town in south-eastern Slovenia, now known as Brestanica (under Germany known as Reichenburg) is already on the list. My grandmother originates from there, so she told me. By the way, interesting topic- go on!
Regards, von Kluge

Southpower
Banned

Post by Southpower » 17 Nov 2003, 12:41

Lovrenc na Pohorju - St. Lorenz am Bachern :D

Nagelfar

Post by Nagelfar » 20 Nov 2003, 04:05

how many of these names are still the German names for the eastern european location today? would that make it not fall under the category of a 'changed' name?

also, a missed obvious one; Osterreich - Ostmark

how minor of an area is allowed to be considered? didn't the Nazis change the name of Red Square to Liebstandarte Platz during its brief capture?

Southpower
Banned

Post by Southpower » 20 Nov 2003, 12:30

Nagelfar wrote:how many of these names are still the German names for the eastern european location today? would that make it not fall under the category of a 'changed' name?

how minor of an area is allowed to be considered? didn't the Nazis change the name of Red Square to Liebstandarte Platz during its brief capture?
On October 2nd the Nazis launched their offensive code-named Typhoon. The German onslaught was swift, and at first it fully justified its codename. The Germans managed to break through the Soviet troops' defenses at some sections of the front and to come close to Moscow. The famous saboteur Otto Scorzeni recalled after the war: “We managed to reach a small village lying 15 kilometers north-west of Moscow. In good weather Moscow could be seen from the village's bell tower...” Western newspapers wrote at that time: “The Russian bear is killed. Only a miracle can save Moscow.”
On November 7, 1941 the annual military parade was held in Moscow's Red Square. It was of great importance in terms of strengthening the Soviet people's confidence in their final victory. In mid-November the German troops made another attempt to capture the city, but they failed once again. In the face of the powerful resistance put up by the Soviet Army the German soldiers lost their fighting spirit. Several weeks later the Soviet Army launched a counteroffensive and drove the enemy away from the capital.

Nazis actually never reached Red Square.

Nagelfar

Post by Nagelfar » 20 Nov 2003, 13:27

Southpower wrote:
Nagelfar wrote:how many of these names are still the German names for the eastern european location today? would that make it not fall under the category of a 'changed' name?

On October 2nd the Nazis launched their offensive code-named Typhoon. The German onslaught was swift, and at first it fully justified its codename. The Germans managed to break through the Soviet troops' defenses at some sections of the front and to come close to Moscow. The famous saboteur Otto Scorzeni recalled after the war: “We managed to reach a small village lying 15 kilometers north-west of Moscow. In good weather Moscow could be seen from the village's bell tower...” Western newspapers wrote at that time: “The Russian bear is killed. Only a miracle can save Moscow.”
On November 7, 1941 the annual military parade was held in Moscow's Red Square. It was of great importance in terms of strengthening the Soviet people's confidence in their final victory. In mid-November the German troops made another attempt to capture the city, but they failed once again. In the face of the powerful resistance put up by the Soviet Army the German soldiers lost their fighting spirit. Several weeks later the Soviet Army launched a counteroffensive and drove the enemy away from the capital.

hmm, I thought that they had. maybe it was a different square but I thought they named it that because the Liebstardate-SS Adolf Hitler division had captured it, so it couldn't have been what they had planned to rename it. :?

Simon

Post by Simon » 20 Nov 2003, 16:25

I have too towns with old names (1941) that I havent found:

Zickenau
Schrötterburg

I think thats Poland, but what is the names today ?

Locke

Post by Locke » 23 Nov 2003, 19:52

Simon wrote:I have too towns with old names (1941) that I havent found:

Zickenau
Schrötterburg

I think thats Poland, but what is the names today ?
Schrötterburg - PŁock (Poland)
Zichenau - Ciechanow (Poland)

regards,
Polona

Zeydlitz

Post by Zeydlitz » 24 Nov 2003, 16:21

Nagelfar wrote:
Southpower wrote:

hmm, I thought that they had. maybe it was a different square but I thought they named it that because the Liebstardate-SS Adolf Hitler division had captured it, so it couldn't have been what they had planned to rename it. :?
AFAIK every major Soviet city had it's own Red Square, though the Germans never reached the one in Moscow. So you may all be right! :P

And for the list by David posted by Marcus: Nürnberg, Köln and München are still called Nürnberg, Köln and München! :)

tyskaorden

Post by tyskaorden » 24 Nov 2003, 19:45

Nagelfar wrote:
Southpower wrote:

This could be the Red Square in Charkov now Charkiv in Ukraine. This town was recaptured by Waffen-SS troops in 1943.

Return to “Life in the Third Reich & Weimar Republic”