Ronald Reagan at Bitburg

Discussions on every day life in the Weimar Republic, pre-anschluss Austria, Third Reich and the occupied territories. Hosted by Vikki.
Marcus

Ronald Reagan at Bitburg

Post by Marcus » 03 Jul 2002, 20:55

Can anyone tell me more about the visit by then US president Ronald Reagan to the cemetary at Bitburg?

/Marcus
Attachments
reagan at waffen-ss graves in bitburg.jpg
Reagan
reagan at waffen-ss graves in bitburg.jpg (26.2 KiB) Viewed 3761 times

Reigo

Post by Reigo » 03 Jul 2002, 21:17

Geoff Walden

Reagan at Bitburg

Post by Geoff Walden » 03 Jul 2002, 21:45

Marcus,

As I recall, this was in the fall of 1985. Reagan was on a trip to West Germany, and it had been arranged for him to lay a wreath at a war memorial in a German soldier cemetery.

Then some busy-body discovered that several Waffen-SS wartime casualties were buried in this cemetery, and people started raising hell about Reagan supposedly "honoring the SS."

I remember the feeligs then among US vets were particularly bitter. I recall talking to one guy who thought it was an unspeakable disgrace. I pointed out to him that these Waffen-SS soldiers were not concentration camp guards, and most were young kids who had been drafted in the final 6-7 months of the war, but he would hear none of it.

Geoff Walden

Erich

Bitburg mit Reagan.....

Post by Erich » 04 Jul 2002, 00:08

I believe you are correct somewhere in the 1980's. I was very much interested as I had a couple of freinds visiting the site about the same time as the former President. In fact during his visit several Waffen SS veterans were also paying their respects to the fallen and one was actually interviewed and his very short thought(s) were broadcasted on the air. In essence he was telling the world that the Waffen SS was just like the Heer in fighting spirit........fought just as hard and died like the rest.

E

Oswald Mosley

Post by Oswald Mosley » 04 Jul 2002, 00:39

It never ceases to amaze me as to why the Waffen SS have been demonised by everybody for so long. They were no different from the Wehrmacht in many ways and, indeed, there is strong evidence to suggest that their overall behaviour was no worse than that of the Wehrmacht. SS - Alibi of a nation - indeed.

"Never in the field of human conflict have so few been hated by so many", as Winston Churchill would say.

The thing that makes me laugh about the Reagan years was that the official white house spokesman was called Larry Speakes. I wonder - was that his real name or one given to him so that Reagan could remember who he was and what his job was? :D

Caldric

Post by Caldric » 04 Jul 2002, 01:03

Ronald Reagan upon hearing of the SS there made a speech defending them. I will try to find that.

It never ceases to amaze me as to why the Waffen SS have been demonised by everybody for so long.
Does this statement really deserve an answer? I mean it is like the local Police, 2 of them go in beat the hell out of someone, and guess what, all the Police are look at with suspicion.

The SS went in killed million of people, do you think most people care that a few of the Divisions fought with honor and integrity? No, all they know is that the organization as a whole committed these acts against people.

Caldric

Post by Caldric » 04 Jul 2002, 01:09

The thing that makes me laugh about the Reagan years was that the official white house spokesman was called Larry Speakes. I wonder - was that his real name or one given to him so that Reagan could remember who he was and what his job was?

That is real funny, I wonder if Hitler kept young blond handsome men around because he was gay...

Pretty stupid statement aye. To make fun of someone with the problems Reagan has is pathetic. Also, Reagan had all of his mental abilities in 1985, and many have stated not until the last year did it really start to wear on him.

At any rate, if you have that much respect and desire that not everyone treat SS like criminal's, then I would think you would have much better respect for the man. Considering the fact that he commited political suicide in order to visit the graves and lay the wreath.

Reagan:

, Reagan told his deputy chief of staff: "I know you and Nancy don't want me to go through with this, but I don't want you to change anything when you get over there, because history will prove I'm right. If we can't reconcile after forty years, we are never going to be able to do it."

landserone

Post by landserone » 04 Jul 2002, 14:45

You know if you want to blame anyone for the world hating the SS, blame Himmler. He never really went out of his way to seperate the two. They had the same pay books.

I know I could be wrong on the above but I think it is correct. The Waffen SS by defult are automatically connected.

Heres a good question, do the Concentration Camp Guards and staff consider them selves SS or Waffen SS? Do they hold there heads up with pride in private circles or amoung other vertans for thier deeds and record?

regards
War is an extension of state policy by other means!!

Zendar

Honor and Integrity

Post by Zendar » 04 Jul 2002, 15:22

Actually if they were in the Waffen SS, they were acting with honor and integrity in the fullest degree. It was an idealogical war. How many of you would have the balls to do what they did? 8)

sylvieK4

Post by sylvieK4 » 04 Jul 2002, 17:10

Ronald Reagan's visit to the Bitburg cemetary was very controversial here in the USA. It clearly was intended as a conciliatory gesture, but many people in the USA were not yet prepared to go through the motions of what seemed to some as forgiving and forgetting.

The following photos and political cartoons of the day reveal the sentiments felt by some regarding the visit and wreath-laying by the American President some forty years after the war's end.

Oswald Mosley

Post by Oswald Mosley » 05 Jul 2002, 00:19

The SS went in killed million of people, do you think most people care that a few of the Divisions fought with honor and integrity? No, all they know is that the organization as a whole committed these acts against people.
You seem to forget that ALL armies involved in WW2 killed millions of people. And as for the atrocities committed by the Germans in the war, many were committed by ordinary Wehrmacht soldiers rather than the SS. You also forget that concentration camp guards were NOT Waffen SS troops - they were Allgemeine SS, and mostly non-German anyway. Those buried at Bitburg were Waffen SS.

Think before opening your mouth.

Oswald Mosley

Post by Oswald Mosley » 05 Jul 2002, 00:21

Pretty stupid statement aye. To make fun of someone with the problems Reagan has is pathetic. Also, Reagan had all of his mental abilities in 1985, and many have stated not until the last year did it really start to wear on him.
Caldric, why don't you buy yourself a sense of humour you miserable wretch.

Caldric

Post by Caldric » 05 Jul 2002, 10:10

Caldric, why don't you buy yourself a sense of humour you miserable wretch.
Say something funny and I will laugh. I am not all that miserable really.
You seem to forget that ALL armies involved in WW2 killed millions of people.
Umm yeah they did, but I think Nazi Germany holds the record for destroying people while in death camps in WWII. And the SS had a direct hand in this, as a organization, even though many or the vast majority had nothing to do with it.

However, not all Waffen SS are clean by any means. The 3rd comes to mind.
You also forget that concentration camp guards were NOT Waffen SS troops - they were Allgemeine SS, and mostly non-German anyway.
Few people care, all they care is that SS were the executioners at these places. They rarely if ever seperate the two. Remember we are talking within the context of Reagan's actions, not what we, or other people here may know. The general population in the world see them as all the same.
Those buried at Bitburg were Waffen SS.

Think before opening your mouth.
Think about what? I applauded Reagan's action for going forth and visiting the place, it was a great gesture to the German people, rather or not anyone knows that or not, or cares.

Meech

ss graves & etc

Post by Meech » 05 Jul 2002, 22:57

Bah!

Humbug to all of the naysayers.

I am just a nobody compared to Ronald Regan, but I am going to Germany this spring and will happily lay flowers and wreaths to honour those brave men that fell regardless of service branch.

M

Oswald Mosley

Post by Oswald Mosley » 06 Jul 2002, 01:01

Quite right, Meech. I applaud your honourable attitude.

Return to “Life in the Third Reich & Weimar Republic”