Top generals KIA/POW

Discussions on every day life in the Weimar Republic, pre-anschluss Austria, Third Reich and the occupied territories. Hosted by Vikki.
Steen Ammentorp

Post by Steen Ammentorp » 16 May 2004, 11:08

panzermahn wrote:The wehrmacht had the highest propotion of Generals and other ranked general officers killed in WW2..

Around 1,000 plus were killed in battle, WIA, MIA, other death causes from 3,000 Generals of the Wehrmacht...

Please read the book Quiet Flows the Rhine by French Maclean
Isn't there a zero too many here? To my knowledge the German general officer corps between 1939-1945 consisted of 1,516 men.

While it is true the that Germany had the highest mortality rate among the general officer corps', they lost fewer generals (134) on the Eastern front than the Soviets, who lost 223 generals to enemy fire.

Kind Regards
Steen Ammentorp
The Generals of World War II

AJK

Post by AJK » 18 May 2004, 15:48

Hi Steen,

The figure of 1000 is accurate if all WWII related deaths are taken into account. Over 350 were killed in action or listed as missing in action, to which can be added those executed by Hitler (primarily after the July 20 plot), those executed by the Allies after the war, those that died in Allied prisons (particularly in the USSR), those that committed suicide during the war or in the days following Germany's defeat, and those killed in accidents or who died through illness during the war.

Best wishes,

AJK

ckleisch

Post by ckleisch » 18 May 2004, 16:50

A list of prominent prisoners released by allies from Camps;
General Lousseau- France
General Baurret- france
General Conde France
General Privalov Russia
General Paphgos greece
General Halder germany
Prince Friederich Leopold of Prussia
Karoas Czech Minister
Frau scuschnigg
M Kallay Prime Minister Hungary
Bishop Neuhaeusler of Munich

Steen Ammentorp

Post by Steen Ammentorp » 18 May 2004, 17:43

AJK wrote: The figure of 1000 is accurate if all WWII related deaths are taken into account. Over 350 were killed in action or listed as missing in action, to which can be added those executed by Hitler (primarily after the July 20 plot), those executed by the Allies after the war, those that died in Allied prisons (particularly in the USSR), those that committed suicide during the war or in the days following Germany's defeat, and those killed in accidents or who died through illness during the war.
To quoted Homer Simpson "Doh". Sorry – I'm so accustomed to only thinking of army generals that I actually didn't read "Wehrmacht generals". Clearly - a fault of mine.

I have no doubt that if you count all deaths from all the services you will reach the number mentioned by pzmahn. I just thought that it might have been a typo. My mistake – sorry.

Some further information.

I have at the moment registered 428 Soviet ARMY generals that died between 1941 and 1945, which includes KIA, MIA, suicides, executed by "Stalin", killed in accidents or by natural causes. However I have far from accounted for all the death years of the Soviet army generals. I'm wondering how high the number would be by with all accounted for and including the Air forces generals?

Kind Regards
Steen Ammentorp
The Generals of World War II

Incorporeal One

Post by Incorporeal One » 19 May 2004, 08:25

786 German Generals die during World War 2:
253 - KIA
44 - died of wounds
81 - committed suicide
23 - execute by Hitler
41 - executed by Allies
326 - die of other causes

Steady

Post by Steady » 10 Oct 2004, 03:25

The list of American generals should also include Major General Maurice Rose, Killed in Action 31 March 1945 outside Paderborn, Germany.

http://www.3ad.net/mg_rose.htm

USAF1986

Post by USAF1986 » 10 Oct 2004, 05:19

Here is a list of the U.S. and Pilipino generals captured during the fall of the Philippines in 1942 that I’ve been able to pinpoint. I dug these out of the cited websites as well as Wainwright’s memoirs. Any additions/corrections would be most welcome.

http://www.ibiblio.org/hyperwar/USA/USA ... ex.html#18

http://www-cgsc.army.mil/carl/resources ... ebook6.asp

Best regards,
Shawn

Lieutenant General Jonathan M. Wainwright IV, Commander-in-Chief of U.S. Forces in the Philippines.

Major General Albert M. Jones, Commanding General of the I Philippine Corps.
Major General George F. Moore, Commanding General of the Manila Harbor Defenses and fortified islands in Subic Bay.
Major General George M. Parker, Jr., Commanding General of the II Philippine Corps.
Major General Edward Postell King, Jr., Commanding General of the U.S. and Pilipino Forces on Bataan.
Major General William F. Sharp, Commanding General of U.S. and Pilipino Forces on Visayan and Mindanao.

Brigadier General Lewis C. Beebe, Wainwright’s Chief of Staff.
Brigadier General Clifford Bluemel, Commander of the 31st Philippine Army Division.
Brigadier General William E. Brougher, Commander of the 11th Philippine Army Division.
Brigadier General Bradford G. Chynoweth, Commander of the 61st Philippine Army Division.
Brigadier General Charles C. Drake, Quartermaster General, United States Army Forces in the Far East.
Brigadier General Arnold J. Funk, King’s Chief of Staff.
Brigadier General Maxwell S. Lough, Commander of the Philippine Division.
Brigadier General Allan C. McBride, Commanding General Service Command, Luzon Force (Died Shirakawa, 5-9-1944)
Brigadier General Clinton A. Pierce, Commander of the 71st Philippine Army Division.
Brigadier General Clyde A. Selleck, Commander of the 71st Philippine Army Division.
Brigadier General Luther R. Stevens, Commander of the 91st Philippine Army Division.
Brigadier General James R.N. Weaver, Commander of the Provisional Tank Group, United States Army Forces in the Far East – 192nd and 194th Tank Battalions (Light).

Brigadier General Mateo M. Capanpin (Pilipino), Commander of the 21st Philippine Army Division.
Brigadier General Vincenti Lim (Pilipino), Commander of the 41st Philippine Army Division (executed while a POW).
Brigadier General Fidel V. Segundo (Pilipino), Commander of the 1st Philippine Army Division (executed while a POW).

Fubbik

Post by Fubbik » 31 Oct 2004, 14:32

There was also General Percival, commandant of Singapore.

Net_Skater

Post by Net_Skater » 31 Oct 2004, 15:58

Some of the Polish Generals:
Brigadier General Roman Abraham: wounded, after fall of Warsaw arrested Oct. 15, 1939, after a few months of incarceration in Posen(Poznan), sent to Oflag Murnau. Attempted twice to escape.
General Wladyslaw Anders: Arested by NKVD in September, spent two years in Prisons in Lvow and Moscow.
Brigadier General Wladyslaw Boncza-Uzdowski: after September Campaign in OflagVIIA Murnau for a duration of WWII.
General Wladyslaw Bortnowski: after September Campaign in Oflag for a duration of WWII.
Brigadier General Mieczyslaw Boruta-Spiechowicz: after September Campaign, attempted to reach France, arrested Dec. 14 by NKVD, spent 2 years in Lubyanka NKVD prison, released.
Brigadier General Leopold Cehak: after September Campaign in OflagVIIA Murnau for a duration of WWII.
Brigadier General Jan Chmurowicz: after September Campaign in OflagIIC Woldenberg for a duration of WWII.
General Walerian Czuma: after fall of Warsaw, in Oflag for duration of WWII.
Brigadier General Franciszek Kleeberg: after last battle of September Campaign (Kock), capitulated on Oct.6. Died in captivity.
General Tadeusz Kutrzeba: after fall of Warsaw, in Oflag for duration of WWII.
Brigadier General Czeslaw Mlot-Fijalkowski, capitulated on Oct. 5. POW in Oflag Murnau where he died in 1944.
General Tadeusz Piskor: after September Campaign, POW 1939-1945 in Germany.
Brigadier General Emil Przedrzymirski-Krukowicz: capitulated on Sep.27, POW in OflagVIIA Murnau for a duration of WWII.
General Juliusz Rommel: after fall of Warsaw, in OflagVIIA Murnau for a duration of WWII.
General Antoni Szylling: after September Campaign, in OflagVIIA Murnau for a duration of WWII.
General Wiktor Thommee: after fall of Warsaw, in Oflag for a Duration of WWII.
(This list is in no way completed. I am sure that our respected members from Poland will contribute.)
Regards
N_S

kordts

Marshall Balbo

Post by kordts » 07 Nov 2004, 09:28

DrG
I believe this Marshall Balbo has a major street in Chicago named after him. It's called Balbo Drive. I believe he made a record flight in the prewar wars and this street was named in recognition of that.

Cheers, Jeff.

Vanyar

Post by Vanyar » 19 Feb 2005, 01:59

Hi friends (my first post :wink: )

Another US general dead in II WW was Don Pratt, adjunct commander of 101 paratroppers division in the D-Day. He died when his glider crashed with a camp of "Rommel's asparagus" (stakes)

Cheers

PD: Sorry for my limited english: I'm in process of learning :wink:

Hanski

Post by Hanski » 19 Feb 2005, 10:42

This is about the highest Soviet officer captured as POW by the Finns:

http://forum.axishistory.com/viewtopic.php?t=45572

Ken McCanliss

British and American Generals taken as Prisoners of War

Post by Ken McCanliss » 09 Nov 2005, 01:50

I have posted a list of American Generals taken POW by the Japanese at another thread on this forum: http://forum.axishistory.com/viewtopic.php?p=216158
Except for minor differences, it is essentially the same as Shawn's excellent list above.

Only one American General was captured by the Germans: BG Arthur William Vanaman, USAAF

Twelve British Generals were taken prisoner in WWII, five by the Germans and seven by the Japanese.

Those captured by the Germans were:
Adrian Carton de Wiart
Michael Denman Gambier-Parry
Philip Neame
Richard Nugent O'Connor
Denys Whitehorn Reid

Those captured by the Japanese were:
Lewis Macclesfield Heath
Berthold Wells Key
Ian Macpherson Macrae
Christopher Michael Maltby
Arthur Ernest Percival
Hervey Degge Wilmot Sitwell
Frank Keith Simmons

Biographies of all the above may be found on THE GENERALS OF WORLD WAR II website.

Ken McCanliss

Question for Steen

Post by Ken McCanliss » 09 Nov 2005, 02:28

Steen,

Couldn't find the following British Generals you mentioned at the above cited link (Yamashita) as having surrendered at Singapore listed in Nick Smart's book on British Generals of the Second World War:

MG David M. Murray-Lyon (IA)
MG Archibald Charles Melville Paris

Were they overlooked in that book?

Your comments most appreciated.

Many thanks,
~ Ken

Jeremy Chan

French and German

Post by Jeremy Chan » 09 Nov 2005, 03:00

Admiral of the Fleet François Darlan, a Vichy officer, was assassinated on 24 December 1942 after the Allied victory in Algiers. General Henri Giraud was captured by German troops during the 'Blitzkrieg' campaign and later escaped from captivity.
I'm surprised that no-one has mentioned Colonel-General Werner von Fritsch (the scandalised former Army Chief), KIA leading his regiment in the Polish Campaign. I had the impression that it seemedal most like deliberate friendly fire.
Colonel-General Eduard Dietl and General Hans Hube were killed in separate aeroplane crashes in 1944.
Of the DAK:
Colonel-General Hans-Jürgen von Arnim was captured in Tunis on 12 May 1943 and General Ludwig Crüwell was captured in 1942. There was other General (or was it colonel?) von Thoma, who walked towards the British lines to surrender. Cheers.

Return to “Life in the Third Reich & Weimar Republic”