How did the war effect your family

Discussions on WW2 in Western Europe & the Atlantic.
Gott

Post by Gott » 18 Sep 2002, 14:15

bombing Stockholm for what? thats basically a declaring war on Sweden.

Daniel L

Post by Daniel L » 18 Sep 2002, 14:28

no effects of war on their families
That's why I got upset. Just because sweden didn't participate doesn't mean that the war didn't have any effect on the population, the same goes for the other neutral countries. I felt that you underestimated the effect of the war on these people. The war left many scars on the neutral countries.

Dan

Post by Dan » 18 Sep 2002, 15:36

Maintaining war readiness was hugely expensive to Sweden and Switzerland, but not as expensive as getting into a stupid war. The only moral fault I see with Sweden was not letting volunteers cross their territory to help Finland. I understand about the German and Soviet pressure, but this was still no excuss.

Marcus

Post by Marcus » 18 Sep 2002, 16:33

That was definately not our finest hour.
Considering the state of the Swedish military there was little we could do to help unfortunately, but it is nothing we can be proud of.

btw. 9.584 Swedish volunteers served in Finland during the Winter War, so at least we can be proud of them.

/Marcus

Zachary

Post by Zachary » 18 Sep 2002, 16:39

My grandad "fought" in 46 and 47 but that doesn't really count. He served in Vietnam though. My great-grandad fought in WWI and was wounded in France. Also my grandmother who was living in the Phillipenes saw a Filipino gat his head cut off by the Japanese while she hid in the bushes.I don't know much else.
Regards,
Zachary

Daniel L

Post by Daniel L » 18 Sep 2002, 16:43

My grandfathers twin brother made concrete tank obstacles in finland.

The Desert Fox

Re: Family

Post by The Desert Fox » 18 Sep 2002, 16:54

Matt wrote:Desert Fox

What unit did your g-grandfather serve with?
My mothers father also served in the ANZACS (11th Battalion) and landed on the 25th. (my uncle said he was in the first boat to land, and saw the first casualty drop dead in front of him on the way to shore) He was twice wounded, the second time losing his leg in an action that won him the DCM. My uncle has a commendation signed by Churchill.
My fathers father survived 3 years in France (artillery), also twice wounded. We still have silver cuttlery he managed to procure from a French castle.
I am happy they both managed to survive!
Matt
Excellent to hear matt. Glad to hear he survived. I never met my great grandfather as he died 20 years or so before I was born, but I knew my grandfather well before he did.

I am sorry I cannot recall what unit it my great grandfather was with, and I no longer have relatives alive that would know. However I did do some personal research on him a year or so ago and printed out the details of his war service. I found his name on a website of (I think the Australian war memorial) which had a list of all Australian servicemen of ww1. Once I find the site again I will send it to you.

All I know off top of head was that he enlisted in South Australia, as he came from Port Pirie. Does that help you at all?

regards
The Desert Fox

Johan Elisson

Post by Johan Elisson » 18 Sep 2002, 17:47

My grand-grand father (my mother's mother's father) fought in the Wehrmacht. He was present in the battle of Stalingrad as a Kraftfahrer. He was sent to a prison camp and tried to escape but was re-captured. He tried a second time with some friends, he succeded, but his friends did not. He travelled all the way back to the front by sneaking, and hanging under railway cars. He got the Iron Cross for that. He died this spring, before I got a chance to meet him. :cry:

/Johan

Annelie

Post by Annelie » 18 Sep 2002, 18:21

It is very interesting to hear on how the war affected most families.
I have read about grandfathers and fathers and etc but which brings me
to say..........

that most of you probably wouldn't be here if it
wasn't for the war!
For all that was negative about the war.....WE at least some of us are
here because of the war . Makes one think.

I for one am very happy to be here.
Annelie

gabriel pagliarani

Post by gabriel pagliarani » 18 Sep 2002, 18:50

Sir Markus & Sir "Charly don' t surf"
I think you have both understood my reply as well I explained. Softer arguments than this had to cause hotter querelles on other topics. Someone wanted to touch personal painful keys of unknown people and now you are hurted both, surely more than I am. I am not a psychoanalyst, obviously, and I never said both you to look for 1 of them: I said that the whole topic had to be managed by a psychoanalist! But you have perfectly understood.. I had to weigh up discrepancies in your behaviour before and after my neutral consideration. A simple fact.

Marcus

Post by Marcus » 18 Sep 2002, 19:13

gabriel pagliarani wrote:Sir Markus & Sir "Charly don' t surf"
I think you have both understood my reply as well I explained. Softer arguments than this had to cause hotter querelles on other topics. Someone wanted to touch personal painful keys of unknown people and now you are hurted both, surely more than I am. I am not a psychoanalyst, obviously, and I never said both you to look for 1 of them: I said that the whole topic had to be managed by a psychoanalist! But you have perfectly understood.. I had to weigh up discrepancies in your behaviour before and after my neutral consideration. A simple fact.
You are once again making no sense.
I can assure you that I am not hurt, why should I be?

/Marcus

gabriel pagliarani

Non sense.

Post by gabriel pagliarani » 19 Sep 2002, 00:23

Sir Markus,
this topic involves non-sense because we are arguing about emotions and emotive effects: probably nobody in the forum did the war and the effects on our families are obviously "de relata" (by second hand) Family, effects of the war, sensations are all terms of "non sense" because they involve our inner illogical emotive sensation of the outer world. Fortunately I hope all the guests in this forum are out of any war but there is some people from Bosnia, Croazia, Yugoslavia who could report us "de visu" not "de relata". The extension of the term "non sense" is strictly correlated to the war effects, in my opinion. Therefore my "non sense" is part of the reply to the topic.

Caldric

Post by Caldric » 19 Sep 2002, 01:55

Didn't Sweden make huge profits from its resources? Not saying that is bad, but I mean they had a material effect on the war.

Aufklarung

Post by Aufklarung » 19 Sep 2002, 02:45

As did the US until Dec '41. :wink:

A :D

Caldric

Post by Caldric » 19 Sep 2002, 02:49

Actually after they bankrupt the UK there was no more money to go around to pay for stuff. Notice, lend-lease.

Hey I have no problem making money off of them to start with, I am an old capitalist, I mean hell they are going to fight anyway.

Return to “WW2 in Western Europe & the Atlantic”