Help with German word 'Leerfahrzeugen'

Need help with translating WW1, Inter-War or WW2 related documents or information?
Jeff Leach
Host - Archive section

Help with German word 'Leerfahrzeugen'

Post by Jeff Leach » 23 Mar 2014, 21:39

The word Leerfahrzeugen = 'empty vehicle' doesn't make sense in the following sentence

Das auf Grund der bedrohlichen Lage infolge der Panikstimmung hervorgerufene Zurückfluten von Leerfahrzeugen wird durch persönliches Eingreifen des Div.Kdrs. behoben, der auf der Straße jedes Fahrzeug anhält und wieder nach vorn schickt.

Losely, "Because of the threatening situation, panik arose causing the flight of 'empty vehicles'. The division commander personally took charge of the situation, standing in the road and ordering the vehicles back to the front."

This is from the 14th Panzer Division war diary on 28 June 1941.

Halle

Re: Help with German word 'Leerfahrzeugen'

Post by Halle » 23 Mar 2014, 22:56

Surely it simply means that the drivers fled from the front , with vehicles empty of soldiers/equipment , putting the front line soldiers at risk of being surrounded / captured etc . , and causing panic behind the lines ?

history1
Banned

Post by history1 » 24 Mar 2014, 15:26

The German sentence should me more proper:
"Das auf Grund der bedrohlichen Lage, infolge der Panikstimmung, hervorgerufene Zurückfluten von Leerfahrzeugen wird durch persönliches Eingreifen des Div.Kdrs. behoben, der auf der Straße jedes Fahrzeug anhält und wieder nach vorn schickt.
"Leerfahrzeug" is translated as "deadhead" on LEO (http://dict.leo.org/?lp=ende&from=fx3&s ... erfahrzeug) and means as Halle mention a truck/car without load.

Translation:
"Because of the threatening situation, in consequence of panic, deadheads which were rushing back has been stoped due to the intervention/action of the divisison commander and sent towards the front."

One may without problem read the sentence without the additional information why there was a threatening situation ( because of the panic/mood of panic).

Jeff Leach
Host - Archive section

Post by Jeff Leach » 25 Mar 2014, 12:08

In American English a 'Deadhead' is some who really like the band 'The Greatful Dead'. They usually dress in a certain way. A number of my old friends were / are Deadheads :D

history1
Banned

Post by history1 » 25 Mar 2014, 12:49

If my effort to help you failed forget it simply.

Jeff Leach
Host - Archive section

Post by Jeff Leach » 26 Mar 2014, 09:05

Sorry was trying to be funny. It wasn't a critic. I always appreciate your translations. Having German as your native tongue, gives you insights that I would never have gotten.

Return to “Translation help: Breaking the Sound Barrier”