German to English translation of 'vorwärtsreißen'?

Need help with translating WW1, Inter-War or WW2 related documents or information?
Linden Lyons

German to English translation of 'vorwärtsreißen'?

Post by Linden Lyons » 03 Jul 2014, 13:42

In his diary on 5 August 1941 Halder quoted Hitler speaking with Brauchitsch. I am interested in the following sentence:

Panzergruppe 3 müsse die Waldaihöhe nehmen und dadurch den linken Flügel der Heeresgruppe Mitte vorwärtsreißen.

What is the best translation of 'vorwärtsreißen' in this context? Does it mean:

- an extension of the left wing of Army Group Centre?
- the separation of the left wing from the army group?
- something else?

Prosper Vandenbroucke

Re: German to English translation of 'vorwärtsreißen'?

Post by Prosper Vandenbroucke » 03 Jul 2014, 14:36

I think the best tranlation of this sentence is:
The "Panzergruppe" 3 must take the "Waldaihöhe and because of it must cross the left wing of the "Heeresgruppe mitte".
Sorry for my poor english
Kindly regards from Belgium
Prosper :wink:

clausewitz12345

Post by clausewitz12345 » 03 Jul 2014, 17:05

The "Panzergruppe 3" would have to take the "Waldaihöhe" and as a consequense of that action carry the left wing of the "Heeresgruppe Mitte" forward.

Regards
Claus
Regards
Claus

StefanSiverud

Post by StefanSiverud » 05 Jul 2014, 00:10

As clausewitz12345 said, here's the translation: Panzergruppe 3 must capture the Waldai height and thereby push the left flank of Heeresgruppe Mitte forward.

Heimatschuss

Post by Heimatschuss » 06 Jul 2014, 00:31

Hello,

the major part of the work has already been done but I'd like to suggest a minor improvement:

Waldaihöhe (in German also often in the plural form Waldaihöhen) should be translated a Valdai plateau. It's a stretch of higher ground measuring 370 kilometers SW to NE and 90 kilometers NW to SE (http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Waldaih%C3%B6hen). A simple verbatim translation as Valdai height would give readers a wrong impression of its' dimensions.

Best regards
Torsten

Urmel

Post by Urmel » 08 Jul 2014, 14:20

clausewitz12345 wrote:The "Panzergruppe 3" would have to take the "Waldaihöhe" and as a consequense of that action carry the left wing of the "Heeresgruppe Mitte" forward.

Regards
Claus
This is closest, but doesn't quite get the tone of the German right. My proposal would be:

The "Panzergruppe 3" would have to take the Valdai Plateau and thereby drag the left wing of the "Heeresgruppe Mitte" forward.

To me the instruction implies that the left wing of HG Mitte wasn't advancing as expected, and the intended action of Panzergruppe 3 was to have a violent effect on the left wing of HG Mitte, almost involuntarily making it go along with the move of Panzergruppe 3. 'Reissen' is quite a dramatic term in this context - it normally would be translated as 'to rip [something] off or upwards' (abreissen/hochreissen).
The enemy had superiority in numbers, his tanks were more heavily armoured, they had larger calibre guns with nearly twice the effective range of ours, and their telescopes were superior. 5 RTR 19/11/41

The CRUSADER Project - The Winter Battle 1941/42

Return to “Translation help: Breaking the Sound Barrier”